It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Activities Section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Activities Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 23:14
There are different variations of the activities section (some are clearly organized activities only). The following is from the Tuck application:

Please list your current and/or postcollegiate activities (community involvement, clubs, athletics, hobbies, or other personal interests) in order of their importance to you.

Tuck gives you space to list 6 activities. So, here's what I'm wondering. They seem pretty broad with the "athletics, hobbies or personal interests" part of it. So, should we be listing things like - go to the gym 3 times a week, play basketball regularly (not in a league), snowboard. Or should we just stick with the major, meaningful, organized stuff. I am currently involved in 3 organized activities. Is it better to list only those and leave the other 3 spaces blank? Or is it better to list activities like basketball and snowboarding?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Activities Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 05:26
I would say you should list whichever non-organized activities are most important to you. For example, I too play basketball and ping pong regularly (unorganized). However, I shoot photography on a regular basis since I took a class in it 10 years ago. This kind of activity might be more meaningful to list since A) its rooted in a class/my past B) exhibits creativity c) is very meaningful to me on a deeper level than just playing a game like bball/pin pong.

Of course I am no expert on this process though.....Thoughts from anybody else?

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
There are different variations of the activities section (some are clearly organized activities only). The following is from the Tuck application:

Please list your current and/or postcollegiate activities (community involvement, clubs, athletics, hobbies, or other personal interests) in order of their importance to you.

Tuck gives you space to list 6 activities. So, here's what I'm wondering. They seem pretty broad with the "athletics, hobbies or personal interests" part of it. So, should we be listing things like - go to the gym 3 times a week, play basketball regularly (not in a league), snowboard. Or should we just stick with the major, meaningful, organized stuff. I am currently involved in 3 organized activities. Is it better to list only those and leave the other 3 spaces blank? Or is it better to list activities like basketball and snowboarding?

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Schools: Duke 2012

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 05:43
I too am no expert, but it seems like you really want to add things that will either diversify you or show a lot of motivation.

For example, I might list that I train for Ironman Triathlons in my spare time (however, if I did I'd be lying, because I have no desire to do all that work :-D ). Or I might put in there that enjoy sometimes lobbying on behalf of a charitable organization. Hobbies that relate to your career goals seem like they'd be good as well - maybe if you want to work in the tech industry and you like to build computers in your spare time that might be a good thing to mention.

I'm realizing that I'm going to look like lame when i fill this out. I'd better get some more organized activities, because my hobbies are pretty unimpressive.

Maybe someone can give advice as to whether it matters. If you fill it up it seems like the worse that could happen is that they ignore the ones that they don't see as important.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 14:47
Good input guys. I definitely agree with raabenb that its best to include only those non organized activities that are most significant (ideally). But, along the lines of the point that highhopes hit on - is it better to leave activity spaces blank or put in lame activities? I have 3 significant/important/impressive organized ECs that I will definitely include but I'm wondering what's the best way to handle the other 3 spaces. Is it better to put in lame, common, uninteresting hobbies like basketball, snowboarding,golf, gym, etc or is best to just leave 3 space blank?

I'm also not a fan of having to put my activities in order of importance

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 14:53
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Good input guys. I definitely agree with raabenb that its best to include only those non organized activities that are most significant (ideally). But, along the lines of the point that highhopes hit on - is it better to leave activity spaces blank or put in lame activities? I have 3 significant/important/impressive organized ECs that I will definitely include but I'm wondering what's the best way to handle the other 3 spaces. Is it better to put in lame, common, uninteresting hobbies like basketball, snowboarding,golf, gym, etc or is best to just leave 3 space blank?

I'm also not a fan of having to put my activities in order of importance

I'd say it depends. Do you travel across the country (or globe) to visit top ski destinations such as Whistler, Park City, Vail, Swiss Alps, or are you a Big Bear kind of guy? If it's the former, I'd put down snowboarding. I'd take a similar approach with the other activities (e.g., golf).

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 14:57
Hmmm.. big bear, local courses, local courts..... pretty mundane. haha. I guess I'm leaning towards leaving blanks

Current Student

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 15:18
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hmmm.. big bear, local courses, local courts..... pretty mundane. haha. I guess I'm leaning towards leaving blanks

Have you taught others to snowboard or golf? That's another reason I think that could make it work.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2008, 05:15
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

I am torn on this too. I don't think (but sure could be wrong!) that it can do any harm to add the relatively inconsequential things. :cry:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2008, 13:42
rca215 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

I am torn on this too. I don't think (but sure could be wrong!) that it can do any harm to add the relatively inconsequential things. :cry:

Is that the approach you plan to take? Honestly, I could see either approach making more sense. On the one hand, it seems kind of lame to list that you play basketball with friends. On the other hand, if you leave 2-3 spaces blank, then maybe the adcom will wonder why you do so little outside of work that you couldn't even fill their list? Playing basketball is better than doing nothing. Tough choice. Seems like we don't have any consensus here.

Director
Director

Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 15:14
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
rca215 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Is that the approach you plan to take? Honestly, I could see either approach making more sense. On the one hand, it seems kind of lame to list that you play basketball with friends. On the other hand, if you leave 2-3 spaces blank, then maybe the adcom will wonder why you do so little outside of work that you couldn't even fill their list? Playing basketball is better than doing nothing. Tough choice. Seems like we don't have any consensus here.

I revisited the data forms where they have the blanks for extracurriculars and now I'm leaning towards leaving the blanks. I think since they ask for things like how you came to this role (appointed vs. volunteer vs. participant), the contact name of people involved and the number of members it seems a little odd to list leisure activities.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Re: Activities Section   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2008, 15:14