It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Adcom Interview Question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Schools: Stanford, Marshall (interview), Rady, Anderson, Carroll (interview), Tepper
Adcom Interview Question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 19:30
I have received an interview request from BC Carroll. I am seriously considering attending especially if there is a significant scholarship offer. One issues is that because the interview is with the adcom I would have to travel to the Carroll campus which I would hake to take a day off for because the campus is about three hours away from where I live. One of my advisors stated that a telephone interview would be mostly inconsequential and that I should not worry about having an interview on the phone. He also stated that an adcom interview has no significance over an alum interview.

I sense that my advisor is wrong on both counts and wanted to see if anyone had a second opinion. I know that Carroll barely makes a top 50 school but I thought that others might be in a similar situation and would be interested in a response.

Thanks in advance.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Adcom Interview Question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 19:49
Tadashi wrote:
I have received an interview request from BC Carroll. I am seriously considering attending especially if there is a significant scholarship offer. One issues is that because the interview is with the adcom I would have to travel to the Carroll campus which I would hake to take a day off for because the campus is about three hours away from where I live. One of my advisors stated that a telephone interview would be mostly inconsequential and that I should not worry about having an interview on the phone. He also stated that an adcom interview has no significance over an alum interview.

I sense that my advisor is wrong on both counts and wanted to see if anyone had a second opinion. I know that Carroll barely makes a top 50 school but I thought that others might be in a similar situation and would be interested in a response.

Thanks in advance.

I think you have to take the day off and visit the campus and do the adcom interview. Showing your face to the people who are making the final decisions is a big differentiator in my humble opinion.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 21:43
I second Msday.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 21:47
You're probably equally as likely to get an admit, but if you're looking for a scholarship you should go make a personal connection with people.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Schools: Stanford, Marshall (interview), Rady, Anderson, Carroll (interview), Tepper

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 07:57
Thanks guys, to Boston I go.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Schools: NYU Stern 2009

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 08:02
yeah, the advice you have seems hairbrained. The AdCom make the final decisions and are familiar with the school's aims and culture - they are more important, and the value of face to face is always significant.

Good luck.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 08:16
I think your chances of getting in would remain the same with both options. But I also do agree that you may get a lot more $$ if you go in person.

On a side note, I have a friend currently enrolled there and he loves the program!

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:04
Hey Tadashi, FWIW, my only admit to this point was via a phone interview, and there was $$ attached. But that was a 7-hour drive away, so maybe it was a bit different.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:13
Here is my honest opinion. I think every human is very biased and therefore your appearance is crucial in order to make this decision. If you got the feedback in the past that u ur voice does not sound so good over the phone, or if u have trouble understanding ppl over the phone or ur voice is too soft or too deep or whatever - then consider taking a day off.

On another hand, if u think that u dont have a strong personal appearance, a kinda desired business-type of look then consider a phone interview. its like u see a very famous radio host in person and get dissapointed by his appearance...

we all sometimes like or dislike someone at first sight and maybe later totally change our opinion, however, all humans including adcoms r very biased and ur the first contact w u can heavily influence their decision

so just pick whatever u think is ur stronger side
just my opinion...

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Adcom Interview Question   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2009, 10:13

Adcom Interview Question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap