It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT KAPLAN Workbooks- Additional Practice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT KAPLAN Workbooks- Additional Practice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 18:05
I've been studying for GMAT for the past 2 month, covered all 3 Official GMAT books (General, Quant and Verb) and GmatPrepNow video lessons. Still Need to raise a score from 550 to 650-680 level.

Was thinking on buying all MGMAT books and covering material from scratch, but I feel it would be too much basic since I already did the full video course by GmatPrepNow. Given that I did the video course, I don't need the basics, so I want some nice advanced recap of all info I studied.
Today found out about KAPLAN GMAT MATH and VERBAL workbooks. Do you think its sufficient prep to help raise the score the next 100-120 points?
I read on forums that KAPLAN GMAT Workbook is missing the PROBABILITIES (Combination and Permutation section). Why would they skip it?

Meanwhile I continue doing practice problems as much as possible.

Last edited by Jaymx on 16 Apr 2016, 19:06, edited 2 times in total.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29372 [0], given: 5301

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT KAPLAN Workbooks- Additional Practice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 18:58
I don't know much about the course besides that it is free. How much did you raise your score from 2 months ago?
P.S. If you are scoring 550, you are having a lot of issues with basics that you are so trying to avoid.... just FYI. Issues with intermediate topics start at 600's.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 19:08
bb wrote:
I don't know much about the course besides that it is free. How much did you raise your score from 2 months ago?
P.S. If you are scoring 550, you are having a lot of issues with basics that you are so trying to avoid.... just FYI. Issues with intermediate topics start at 600's.

Raised score by 100 points over 2 month. Its a big jump, Would you still recommend going though all MGMAT books or concentrate on KAPLAN Math and Verbal Workbooks? and Do extra practice problems say by GMATClub. Timing is my enemy. With time I can solve many problems.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 19:37
Jaymx wrote:
bb wrote:

Raised score by 100 points over 2 month. Its a big jump, Would you still recommend going though all MGMAT books or concentrate on KAPLAN Math and Verbal Workbooks? and Do extra practice problems say by GMATClub. Timing is my enemy. With time I can solve many problems.

Good Job! You are looking for a 200 point jump which is a lot of work and dedication. It has been done but it requires intensity and effort.
You can improve your score with either set of books frankly - I have used the old Kaplan books (Quant workbook and verbal workbook) - they are faster to go through (probably 3 weeks each). The MGMAT package will be more through, however, but will add 2.5-3 months to your timeline. However, it has a greater chance/probability of boosting your score. Again, you can achieve the same score with both but the chances are higher with MGMAT since it takes longer, covers more material, and has much more coverage.

Kaplan Workbooks are designed for a 650-700 score, so they do not offer the high end questions such as Probability or Combinations since those questions only pop up once you reach Q48 or Q49. I have faced one and lost my battle, ending up with Q49 as I was unprepared with the Kaplan books but again, if you are shooting for 650, you don't need to worry about that stuff. Actually the more I think about it, the more I think the Kaplan workbooks will be the better choice and will result into less of a likelihood of you burning out and just getting stuck mid-way with MGMAT books.

My suggestion with the Kaplan or MGMAT books is to refresh what you have learned the day before. Make sure you hit 90% or higher accuracy, and if you miss any questions, mark them. I also recommend reading explanations for most questions - you will learn a few things in the Kaplan books. They have really clever questions (the funny thing is that they not always solve them the best way but that's minor details and takes a lot of practice to catch that and frankly is irrelevant when you are shooting for 650). Save questions you mess up on, go over them every week to make sure you know how to solve (not just memorize that it is a "B")

That's my eval of the situation.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 19:43
bb wrote:
Jaymx wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Job! You are looking for a 200 point jump which is a lot of work and dedication. It has been done but it requires intensity and effort.
You can improve your score with either set of books frankly - I have used the old Kaplan books (Quant workbook and verbal workbook) - they are faster to go through (probably 3 weeks each). The MGMAT package will be more through, however, but will add 2.5-3 months to your timeline. However, it has a greater chance/probability of boosting your score. Again, you can achieve the same score with both but the chances are higher with MGMAT since it takes longer, covers more material, and has much more coverage.

Kaplan Workbooks are designed for a 650-700 score, so they do not offer the high end questions such as Probability or Combinations since those questions only pop up once you reach Q48 or Q49. I have faced one and lost my battle, ending up with Q49 as I was unprepared with the Kaplan books but again, if you are shooting for 650, you don't need to worry about that stuff. Actually the more I think about it, the more I think the Kaplan workbooks will be the better choice and will result into less of a likelihood of you burning out and just getting stuck mid-way with MGMAT books.

My suggestion with the Kaplan or MGMAT books is to refresh what you have learned the day before. Make sure you hit 90% or higher accuracy, and if you miss any questions, mark them. I also recommend reading explanations for most questions - you will learn a few things in the Kaplan books. They have really clever questions (the funny thing is that they not always solve them the best way but that's minor details and takes a lot of practice to catch that and frankly is irrelevant when you are shooting for 650). Save questions you mess up on, go over them every week to make sure you know how to solve (not just memorize that it is a "B")

That's my eval of the situation.

Thank you so much, will do my best and pick up Kaplan Workbooks. I also notice that they offer some KAPLAN Premier and KAPLAN 800. Would you recommend considering any of these two ? Or, its better to stick with Workbook Quant and Workbook Verbal ?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 19:48
Kaplan Premier is more basic and pretty huge but it has 6 tests with it (could be helpful).
Kaplan 800 is a collection of questions (including probability) - it is not super helpful however, kind of like OG, just questions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 11:19
Hi Jaymx,

How many practice CATs have you taken so far? And how have you scored on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? I ask because many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. While it might be too early to determine whether that's happened to you or not, it's certainly something to consider. As such, you might benefit a great deal by investing in some new, non-book resources.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 11:49
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Jaymx,

How many practice CATs have you taken so far? And how have you scored on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? I ask because many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. While it might be too early to determine whether that's happened to you or not, it's certainly something to consider. As such, you might benefit a great deal by investing in some new, non-book resources.

Rich

Total of 3 CATS within 2 month: 450, 520, 550. Studied via OG books and GmatPrepNow video course. Video courses are fantastic, so I wanted some more Prep. That's why I decided to get some KAPLAN Quant and Verbal Workbooks to cover. I am sure I still have some blank spots in my Quant and Verbal knowledge. Trying to polish them out.

Anything you would recommend ?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 22:09
Hi Jaymx,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'll need to know some more information:

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 18:50
Planning to take GMAT in 30 days. Applying to B school in the summer.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Jaymx,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'll need to know some more information:

Rich

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 09:39
Hi Jaymx,

Raising your GMAT score 100+ points in 30 days will be challenging (consider how long it took you to improve that first 100 points). As such, you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you can continue to study and improve.

1) When was the last time you took a CAT? Was it the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What is the application deadline for the School(s) that you plan to apply to?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 08:47
Update: I just finished the Kaplan Math Workbook. They don't have many strategies either, or maybe their questions were easy, OR I am becoming wiser in math
I think their hardest questions in the workbook are 500 Level, but again this could also be that I am really improving and under-judging.

Since I have not much time left, I don't want to waste my time simple questions.
What is the actual level of Kaplan Math Workbook questions ? Kaplan questions marked as "Advanced level" aren't hard, on GMATClub "Hard" marked questions are Actually difficult. :)
Anyone can recommend any other book to improve Quant ?
Worth getting Kaplan 800 ?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 10:03
Hi Jaymx,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you answered my previous questions:

1) When was the last time you took a CAT? Was it the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What is the application deadline for the School(s) that you plan to apply to?

Based on your current CAT scores and your goal score, you do NOT need to be focused on any 'hard' question types. Instead, you need to be properly dealing with all of the 'gettable' questions (regardless of what level you 'think' they are).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: GMAT KAPLAN Workbooks- Additional Practice   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2016, 10:03

GMAT KAPLAN Workbooks- Additional Practice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap