GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 01:36
I didn't mean to discredit any MBA admission consultant, but does it really important to have one?
Because it seems everyone from GMAT club apply to one, and let's be honest those consultants aren't cheap at all, and honestly, I don't have that kind of money.
Does it lower my chance to get accepted in B-school if I try to apply independently?

Thank you for anyone who respond
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P
Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 06:59
myheartssay wrote:
I didn't mean to discredit any MBA admission consultant, but does it really important to have one?
Because it seems everyone from GMAT club apply to one, and let's be honest those consultants aren't cheap at all, and honestly, I don't have that kind of money.
Does it lower my chance to get accepted in B-school if I try to apply independently?

You have an admissions consultant responding first :roll: :-)
Admissions consultants bring some unparalleled qualities to the application process:
1. Experience. Having read countless essays and resumes, we know what works and what doesn't. We at MBA Decoder have many times thrashed essay story ideas, which applicants thought were unique. At the same time, we have found gems of stories during brainstorming, which applicants thought were irrelevant for the MBA application.

2. Depth in your storytelling- through several iterations and constant questioning. Our applicants have told us they would have given up much earlier. But its this depth in storytelling that can make a winning difference to your application.

3. a sounding board for your career goals- this is an Achilles' heel in many applications. Getting your goals right- ambitious yet logical and connected to your past work experience is crucial for hitting the right chords. Your consultant with more seniority and industry experience can add real value to this part of your application.

4. More often than not, we find ourselves playing the role of mentors and guides to our applicants. You need mentorship and a third-party, objective view (apart from friends and family) to write compelling applications. Moreover, you need the friendship and support of an expert who understands the rigors you are going through managing a full-time job and the applications.

Agree, MBA consultation is expensive, but there are consultants at various price points. Work with one who you feel a connect with and can trust to help you. A lot is at stake for you as an applicant- the time, money and heartbreak of unexpected outcomes. and then the soaring MBA costs....A few $$$$ spent now on highly specialized services can help you reap unparallel benefits- admissions to better-ranked colleges and scholarship money.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICANTS FOR OCTOBER/NOVEMBER DEADLINES

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 06:48
MBADecoder wrote:
myheartssay wrote:

You have an admissions consultant responding first :roll: :-)
Admissions consultants bring some unparalleled qualities to the application process:
1. Experience. Having read countless essays and resumes, we know what works and what doesn't. We at MBA Decoder have many times thrashed essay story ideas, which applicants thought were unique. At the same time, we have found gems of stories during brainstorming, which applicants thought were irrelevant for the MBA application.

2. Depth in your storytelling- through several iterations and constant questioning. Our applicants have told us they would have given up much earlier. But its this depth in storytelling that can make a winning difference to your application.

3. a sounding board for your career goals- this is an Achilles' heel in many applications. Getting your goals right- ambitious yet logical and connected to your past work experience is crucial for hitting the right chords. Your consultant with more seniority and industry experience can add real value to this part of your application.

4. More often than not, we find ourselves playing the role of mentors and guides to our applicants. You need mentorship and a third-party, objective view (apart from friends and family) to write compelling applications. Moreover, you need the friendship and support of an expert who understands the rigors you are going through managing a full-time job and the applications.

Agree, MBA consultation is expensive, but there are consultants at various price points. Work with one who you feel a connect with and can trust to help you. A lot is at stake for you as an applicant- the time, money and heartbreak of unexpected outcomes. and then the soaring MBA costs....A few $$$$ spent now on highly specialized services can help you reap unparallel benefits- admissions to better-ranked colleges and scholarship money.
Hahaa, I knew one of the admissions consultant will answer my question. Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately not everyone (at least me) can afford that privilege.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 13:47
Hi,

Think about it this way- Admissions consultants are PEOPLE who have been doing it for a LONG LONG TIME.

I started my career in admissions consulting over 10 years ago now, and made a lot of first time mistakes that sound really naive and stupid now. But at that time, those strategies sounded like- the best ones. And I am glad I am learning every day.

Admissions consultants are no different than the applicants- we are YOU- the only difference is- we are 10 years ahead of you.

How would your skill set be if you did something repeatedly for a decade? If I work for around 2000 Hours in a year, the maths says that I have been doing it for 20,000 hours now.

As long as you are committed to a learning curve, you will also become just like me or any other expert in 10 years.

When people get consultants to help them in COMMUNICATION that takes place between an applicant and the school- those applicants do it to save years of putting in their own hard work. Why would you want to gain competency and learn things on your own , and make the same first timer mistakes when you can be with someone who is ahead of you? - That is why applicants hire consultants.

There are really smart and interesting professionals in this world. Go find the ones you will get along with, and move on to the next stages of your life- start an MBA.

I really want to crack a Joke- I am glad you did not ask- Is it really important to hire a Cardiologist or can one operate their own heart? ( You got to take help from an expert) :)

Have an amazing journey ahead buddy!

Jatin
Founder- PythaGURUS Education

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 04:14
pytha1gurus wrote:
Hi,

Think about it this way- Admissions consultants are PEOPLE who have been doing it for a LONG LONG TIME.

I started my career in admissions consulting over 10 years ago now, and made a lot of first time mistakes that sound really naive and stupid now. But at that time, those strategies sounded like- the best ones. And I am glad I am learning every day.

Admissions consultants are no different than the applicants- we are YOU- the only difference is- we are 10 years ahead of you.

How would your skill set be if you did something repeatedly for a decade? If I work for around 2000 Hours in a year, the maths says that I have been doing it for 20,000 hours now.

As long as you are committed to a learning curve, you will also become just like me or any other expert in 10 years.

When people get consultants to help them in COMMUNICATION that takes place between an applicant and the school- those applicants do it to save years of putting in their own hard work. Why would you want to gain competency and learn things on your own , and make the same first timer mistakes when you can be with someone who is ahead of you? - That is why applicants hire consultants.

There are really smart and interesting professionals in this world. Go find the ones you will get along with, and move on to the next stages of your life- start an MBA.

I really want to crack a Joke- I am glad you did not ask- Is it really important to hire a Cardiologist or can one operate their own heart? ( You got to take help from an expert) :)

Have an amazing journey ahead buddy!

Jatin
Founder- PythaGURUS Education
Luckily for people that have heart problem, there's a health insurance/health care for them so they won't have to operate their own heart.

If only there's also insurance for admissions consultant to make it free --> that's the joke

Thanks for your answer tho'..
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 05:32
Well it completely depends on individual skills set, knowledge about B-schools and admission process.
Working on your application with consultants or Alumni of top B-Schools is always preferred because it is always a best choice.
Yes I agree consultant fees is always on a higher side but you should consider it as an investment for increasing your chances to get admission.
Re: Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jul 2018, 05:32

Admissions Consultant, Does It Really Necessary?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap