GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

"Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Premium Member
Re: "Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2011, 00:27
Great points by nink and AlexMBAapply. Though I have one more year to go, but I think that the tips will come handy.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 23:59
even if you do not have someone to finance your travels, you should quit work early and travel. when else will you have few commitments in life, know that you have something exciting and secure like bschool a few months down the road, and not have stress that you need to get a job, prep for a job etc...? almost never again. so what's another $10K to add to the debt? once it's all over, 5 years from now, 10 years, 20 years, you will remember the adventure, not the extra $$. I think we regret what we do NOT do more than what we do...at least that is what I am telling myself...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 00:04
hoogets25 wrote:
even if you do not have someone to finance your travels, you should quit work early and travel. when else will you have few commitments in life, know that you have something exciting and secure like bschool a few months down the road, and not have stress that you need to get a job, prep for a job etc...? almost never again. so what's another $10K to add to the debt? once it's all over, 5 years from now, 10 years, 20 years, you will remember the adventure, not the extra $$. I think we regret what we do NOT do more than what we do...at least that is what I am telling myself...

so true man.. kudos to you
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:22
I'm with hoogets25 on this. Today's the day I'm announcing that I'm leaving my firm. The way my manager and I've discussed it I should be able to stay here another two months before I get married and travel.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wake Forest

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 17:48
hoogets25 wrote:

I love this line of thinking. I'm applying for fall 2012 and will be seperating from the Marine Corps this Nov., which gives me a a little less than year of time between (if I'm accepted somewhere). I was always thinking I'd find some job in the mean time until school starts but you know the more I think about it, the more appealing the idea sounds to just relax and decompress for a few months after 4 years in the Marine Corps...
Travel, visit friends around the country, and just get ready and back in the student mode sounds like a much better idea. Then again, I have to get accepted somewhere which means I need to do well on the GMAT, which means I need to get back to studying...

"The capitol of Maine is Montpelier, Vermont which is near Ithaca, New York where I went to Cornell."
-Andy Bernard, Cornell '95

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5 yrs

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 18:22
hoogets25 wrote:

Amen. This has been my mentality all along. In one of my alumni interviews, I had asked if they would have done any thing differently... her firm recommendation was to take as much time off before school starts as possible.... I'm planning for an April/May departure from my company if I end up matriculating.
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2011, 16:10
Love the bad driver-Mercedes analogy. I almost feel enlightened :)

Thanks for the awesome post.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2011, 16:51
hoogets25 wrote:

Count me in this thread! And fantastic advice.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 20:10
hoogets25 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I just booked my flight to SE Asia for a 2 month trip this summer :-D
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones, McCombs
WE 1: Engineer

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 04:55
Ha! This thread is awesome. I actually thought I'd be excited to quit, but since getting the big packet for b-school, things have taken off for me at work (small promotion, a lot of attention from upper management) and now I have been taken back by feelings of guilt.

Don't get me wrong...not much they can do to keep me at this point...but I feel like this is worse than breaking up with a plain, boring, but loving girlfriend.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wake Forest

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 06:06
mbaapp07 wrote:
hoogets25 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I just booked my flight to SE Asia for a 2 month trip this summer :-D

This is awesome. I'm going to do the same thing next summer, maybe not Asia though (I'm here now).

Thailand, specifically Pattaya Beach....well, you'll never be the same.

"The capitol of Maine is Montpelier, Vermont which is near Ithaca, New York where I went to Cornell."
-Andy Bernard, Cornell '95

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, Michigan

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 07:19
overdrive wrote:
hoogets25 wrote:

so true man.. kudos to you

perfect ! now I know I´m not the only one to do this....schedule is : New Zealand , Australia, SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam Cambodga etc..), Europe. I think it´s possible to do in 3 months. Plan to quite in May , and do the whole thing with my future wife... I think the best spent money is that spent to travel, if you know what i mean.... cheers
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 13:06
I am doing all my dental surgery now before insurance runs out....and travel - Gosh I really hope that i will have some time to do that - I got locked in by the relocation package (penalty if I quite early 100% within first year, 50% within two years)....If i go to the one I got in so far, I will only have two week window to find a place and move!

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:36
I'm so glad that I can participate in this discussion. I just gave in a month notice and will be traveling til' the school starts! :D
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, MIT, Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 18:00
My MBA status leaked in my company and it has become a bit of a political nightmare. I'm trying to do my best before leaving while counting down the days. Forgoing paychecks for prolonged traveling under the shadow of a looming $100K+ debt has not crossed my mind, but I'll probably take a trip to Europe this summer. If I could recommend anything, it would be to keep MBA on the DL until it's time. I have the board of directors asking for my succession plan and wanting me to finish projects STP (Sooner Than Possible).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 20:39
What do you mean by political nightmare? I haven't said anything yet... with 3.5 months of employment to go. Just bought a small condo so I can't afford to lose my job. I don't think they would axe me...but just trying to be careful. At the same time, I like my team...so probably going to make it official just under 3 months out so they can plan to replace me.

Any thoughts? Anyone else trying to figure out when to give notice?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), Duke (EA-Open Interview), Darden (R1-Interview + Withdrawn), Ross (R1)
WE 1: 3 years Online Mrktng Rsrch / Pharmaceuticals

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 16:17
rouzbie wrote:
bb wrote:
If anything, now is the time to show your leadership skills/potential and get perhaps a bit more risky in terms of decision making and responsibility. A good friend of mine was on a verge of being removed from one of the projects he was working on, so he stopped caring and was no longer concerned about staying and started making decisions instead of involving his boss every time, using his own judgement.

I'm at this point pretty much. Even though I haven't officially announced it, I'm going to be working at my job for another 2.5 months before I leave for school. I stopped cc'ing my boss on all the work I do; I made a lot more industry contacts at a recent conference I went to; I've basically been taking more initiative since I have less to lose now. It's an odd feeling but I'm enjoying it :)

Getting married in late May and taking a long honeymoon is going to be a great start to my MBA experience!

Not CC'ing co-workers and bosses is horrid! Especially since you're leaving, it's imperative that others can pick up where you left off. If you keep everything to yourself, you're doing a poor job at transitioning your work.

Congrats on the engagement
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), Duke (EA-Open Interview), Darden (R1-Interview + Withdrawn), Ross (R1)
WE 1: 3 years Online Mrktng Rsrch / Pharmaceuticals

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 16:23
GCM30 wrote:
What do you mean by political nightmare? I haven't said anything yet... with 3.5 months of employment to go. Just bought a small condo so I can't afford to lose my job. I don't think they would axe me...but just trying to be careful. At the same time, I like my team...so probably going to make it official just under 3 months out so they can plan to replace me.

Any thoughts? Anyone else trying to figure out when to give notice?

Didn't you guys get recommendation letters from these guys? I essentially gave them 12 months notice last June when I asked my boss and her boss for MBA recommendation letters.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 16:57
I went through an old and a mentor at my current employer.

I respect the lack of CC'ing. Emails are out of hand these days and the more mits that touch a project the more difficult it is to complete. Just my opinion :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 19:22
Thanks for typing this up, it's really useful.

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Re: "Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2011, 19:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

"Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap