It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted PT MBA - Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg (for Tech)

• 18% [2]
  • 18% [2]
  • 36% [4]
  • 27% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Admitted PT MBA - Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello friends!

Need your help to decide the best MBA program that suits my career goals and profile.
I have been fortunate to be admitted to PT (Evening) programs at Haas, Ross, Booth and Kellogg. I'm having a hard time deciding which program to choose. There are no scholarships at any of these schools, so money is not a factor.
My short term career goal is to work as a Technology Consultant at one of the big tech firms (e.g. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple) and my long term career goal is to work as a Product Manager or Business Strategy Manager in the technology space as well.

About me:
- Currently working in the Detroit Area as a Senior Programmer Analyst in Project Lead/Developer roles
- 11 yrs of work exp in IT
- MS in Computer Science; BS in Mathematics

Please advise with your invaluable inputs.

Thanks!

~ Life without a Challenge is like a Train without an Engine!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29052 [1], given: 5255

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Admitted PT MBA - Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congrats and Welcome to GMAT Club!

I think all of the programs are going to fit your needs (some maybe slightly better than others). Here are a few things to consider:

1. Commuting/ease of access - not sure if all have satellite programs/offices in your preferred location but this plays a big role in the choice
2. Ability to attend/participate in the recruiting events and use of the career resources. Some schools do not allow this and actually even prohibit you from taking/attending FT classes (which is kind of lame, Haas) while others welcome it and make their events and recruiting opportunities open to PT (Kellogg)
3. PT programs are usually not well designed for career changes due to a lack of internship options so you have to keep this in mind as recruiting is a big time drain and a commitment. Doing it in addition to a Full Time job (you are planning to work or are you planning right or is your plan to quit and move to a city of your choice and attend the PT program?) Anyway, doing recruiting along with a job and PT MBA is super tough. Super duper tough if you have a family but not impossible and can be done but don't expect to be hired just because you took a few evening classes. Your MBA degree will assist you in getting shortlisted but if your resume is not speaking for itself or if you don't have an insider helping you out, it is a crap shoot
4. ideally pick a program in the city where you live so you can leverage your network, meet with classmates for lunch/team meetings, etc. Not impossible to do remotely but helps to be local.

P.S. Hopefully these were valuable or maybe invaluable?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:55
Thanks so much bb for the welcome and the useful inputs. I plan to keep working full time and I agree it is quite tough travelling and participating in recruitment along with a FT job and studies.

I missed including some info in my first post. I will be relocating (so not travelling) to the city wherever I choose to do the PT MBA and my employer has been kind enough to allow remote work while I pursue the part-time MBA. So given that and comparing these 4 reputed B-schools, which B-School(s) will serve me best to achieve my career goals?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ah. That makes a big difference and removes a lot of potential concerns.
I feel Kellogg would be the best choice, though Haas and Booth are both tempting. My vote goes to Kellogg due to their open-minded approach to PT students and treating them as equals to FT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 11:32
Thanks again bb for the useful inputs! :)

How does Kellogg compare with Ross in terms of:
- open-mindedness towards PT students
- recruiting (for technology consulting)
- alumni n/w
- brand value etc

I ask this because Ross is the local school to me (since I'm working in the Detroit area) out of these 4 in consideration.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29052 [0], given: 5255

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 12:12
You can see some of the "Similar Topics" section for some of the info. Ross and Haas/Kellogg/Booth are usually not compared in the FT category without a scholarship since they have about 10 ranking points of separation. Having said that, I don't know a whole bunch about Ross's PT program besides that if it were amazing, I would have heard about it, but it is worth researching and looking into.

Ross FT is definitely strong in Tech and places well there but again that's for FT and you will need to approach current students and adcom about their policies towards part-timers.

Founder of GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 29052 [0], given: 5255

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Very timely post from Haas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/expert-advic ... l#p1904347

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 20:17
Thanks bb for posting this article! It's quite interesting to read that student's efforts to get the most out of her part-time MBA in order to change careers.

One question though - Since my goal is to stay in the tech industry post-MBA (pls refer to my first post in this thread), is that still equivalent to a 'career change/switch'? I thought it is just a change of role/function, but not a 'career switch'.

Thanks!

Re: Admitted PT MBA - Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg ??   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 20:17

Admitted PT MBA - Haas Vs Ross Vs Booth Vs Kellogg ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap