GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admitted to interviews but then...

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Admitted to interviews but then...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 16:06
Hi everyone, it's my first time here.

My stat:

I'm studying Management Engineering at Politecnico di Milano (best italian university according to QS),
3.0 GPA i think (according to the percentile table from my study course I'm slightly above the 50% of the class),
I have no exams left behind (only 35%-40% of the students graduate on time),
GRE: 167/170 quant, 154/170 verbal, 3.0 AWA (sob...).
TOEFL 98/110.

Having said that, I've applied to the Msc finance courses (ranked in the FT top 20) of Skema, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management and Esade.

I've been admitted to all the final interviews, at the time I felt quite desired by those universities.
But then, after the interviews, I got rejected from the first two ones. Tomorrow Esade will decide but I'm not hopeful.
The interviews went ok/good, especially the one with FSFM.

I cannot explain that. Are they rejecting me because of the GPA? Because in case I don't know why they asked me for interviews, saying that I was a "strong candidate".
Am I pointing too high? Do I have to apply to lower ranked business schools?

I really need an advice from someone expert. Thank you in advance.
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Admitted to interviews but then...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 03:06
nobono wrote:

My stat:

I'm studying Management Engineering at Politecnico di Milano (best italian university according to QS),
3.0 GPA i think (according to the percentile table from my study course I'm slightly above the 50% of the class),
TOEFL 98/110.

Having said that, I've applied to the Msc finance courses (ranked in the FT top 20) of Skema, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management and Esade.

I've been admitted to all the final interviews, at the time I felt quite desired by those universities.
But then, after the interviews, I got rejected from the first two ones. Tomorrow Esade will decide but I'm not hopeful.

I cannot explain that. Are they rejecting me because of the GPA? Because in case I don't know why they asked me for interviews, saying that I was a "strong candidate".

It appears that based on what you're stating here, things were going really well up to the interview. My instinct is telling me that maybe you need to work on your verbal communication skills in English, potentially. If they feel it would be an impediment to other students understanding you, it would limit your ability to contribute in the classroom. I'm not certain that this is the problem. However that is my suspicion. At the same time, interviews are just an invitation to a conversation and in no way a guarantee to a spot in the class. I think people consider interviews to be too "firm" and nothing makes me crazier than candidates skipping R2 apps because they got an interview or 2. If you feel this isn't the issue, maybe consider what you said/did/wore to both these interviews.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 05:59
Thank you for your response.

I think that my two main problems were GPA and what I said during the interviews. Essays, location, dressing and spoken english were good (they told me that my spoken english was good).

Having said that, it's almost impossible for me to have a clear picture of what happened, because universities don't release feedbacks and there are no stats about the admission rates, admission to interviews rates, minimum GPA and so on. So I cannot say if they call everyone for interwiews or if an interview is really close to being admitted. I don't know if they want to loose 45 mintes talking with every single candidate.

If I ask to the admission offices of other schools (I did it also with FSFM), they encourage me to apply, because they find me a strong candidate.

Also, during the interviews, I responded very well about the latest news and events that are happening in the world: Brexit, Quantitative Easing, MPS, and so on, and and I received congratulations after my good answers.

The only thing that I could do is to try to be more convinced about my answers, especially the ones about my future career.
However, if GPA is the problem, I cannot solve it, because I have no exams until February.

So, right now I don't know where to apply next.
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 23:47
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
nobono wrote:

My stat:

TOEFL 98/110.

It appears that based on what you're stating here, things were going really well up to the interview. My instinct is telling me that maybe you need to work on your verbal communication skills in English, potentially. If they feel it would be an impediment to other students understanding you, it would limit your ability to contribute in the classroom. I'm not certain that this is the problem. However that is my suspicion. At the same time, interviews are just an invitation to a conversation and in no way a guarantee to a spot in the class. I think people consider interviews to be too "firm" and nothing makes me crazier than candidates skipping R2 apps because they got an interview or 2. If you feel this isn't the issue, maybe consider what you said/did/wore to both these interviews.

Well, we can rule out English. How did things go with ESADE? Have you done any professional or even non-professional interview coaching?
I agree with you that GPA does not seem likely. It might relate to fit, or your responses. Were these blind interviews?
If not, what did you reveal in the interviews that might not have been revealed on the application?
Unrealistic goals, perhaps?

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 05:48
Admitted to ESADE :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 01:03
Ciao ,
Anch'io sono uno studente del poli a Milano e volevo iscrivermi al master in finance alla frankfurt school of management And finance. Volevo chiederti se mi potevi dare qualche informazione sulle domande che fanno all'orale.
Inoltre se avevi anche qualche informazione sul test di ingresso organizzato dall'università?
Ciaoo :)

Posted from my mobile device
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Admitted to interviews but then...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 12:49
nobono wrote:
Thank you for your response.
Hi nobono and I feel for you. Nothing is more disappointing than getting to the interview round and then not getting the offer. However, don't let past performance impact future opportunties. Go in feeling confident, don't be depressed or anxious-
talk yourself out of the funk because you don't want to bring that in with you. If it was your interview response- focus on that. You can't fix the GPA as you said- at least not in a few days. So review what was asked- and what you answered and consider having an impartial person give you their opinion of your answers. We offer an interview prep option and in even just an hour you may have more clues. The link to find out more there is :https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/
But also keep in mind this is a numbers game- sometimes everything clicks and sometimes it does not. I have clients that got interview invitations to HBS and not Booth, got nowhere at Booth and got fellowship money at Wharton, got dinged at Wharton and got money at Kellogg... so it truly is a fickle business and you can't read too much into one or two data points or it will drive you crazy. Focus on what you can control- make sure you know WHY you want the school, what classes and activities you will participate in and what you can do to give back. Here is a link to an article I wrote about thinking how ADCOM thinks and maybe this will give you some insight into your next interview! Good luck! I'm rooting for you! https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... interview/

I think that my two main problems were GPA and what I said during the interviews. Essays, location, dressing and spoken english were good (they told me that my spoken english was good).

Having said that, it's almost impossible for me to have a clear picture of what happened, because universities don't release feedbacks and there are no stats about the admission rates, admission to interviews rates, minimum GPA and so on. So I cannot say if they call everyone for interwiews or if an interview is really close to being admitted. I don't know if they want to loose 45 mintes talking with every single candidate.

If I ask to the admission offices of other schools (I did it also with FSFM), they encourage me to apply, because they find me a strong candidate.

Also, during the interviews, I responded very well about the latest news and events that are happening in the world: Brexit, Quantitative Easing, MPS, and so on, and and I received congratulations after my good answers.

The only thing that I could do is to try to be more convinced about my answers, especially the ones about my future career.
However, if GPA is the problem, I cannot solve it, because I have no exams until February.

So, right now I don't know where to apply next.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

GMAT Club Bot
Admitted to interviews but then... &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2017, 12:49

Admitted to interviews but then...

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap