Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V610
GPA: 3.77
WE:Research (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Re: Advice needed-- GRE or GMAT [#permalink]
Maybe that's the official line. But based on my extensive interactions with folks on this issue -- it is pretty clear that the GMAT gives you an edge over the GRE.

To put this is some context -- 4 or 5 years ago schools like HBS started accepting the GRE because they wanted to encourage more of the younger kids to apply (who might have had to take GRE to apply to masters programs etc) and to get more applications from international students. So ETS stepped in and decided to give the GRE a total makeover (which took another 5 years). Thus the new updated scoring scale that differentiates better at the high end and a more common sense approach towards the verbal section. But the GRE math section is much easier than the GMAT math section (and b-schools pay particular attention to your quant score).

Of course you don't have to take my word for all of the above. Here are some articles from reputed sources.

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/06/15/how-the-gre-stacks-up-against-the-gmat/

The GMAT is still the golden standard as far as most top B-schools are concerned. While many schools state they will accept either, a lingering suspicion remains that taking the GRE is tantamount to copping out. That said, Stanford and Harvard were amongst some of the very first business schools to accept the GRE.

https://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/articles/most-mba-degree-seekers-take-the-gmat-over-the-gre_12367.aspx#.UIA0QlHnHCY

An additional 19% of MBA degree seekers said they aren't taking the GRE because they feel applicants who take the GMAT have an advantage during the admissions process.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2012/06/05/more-business-schools-accept-gre

This usnews article gives the revised GRE some props (and rightfully so). But..some points to consider.

An analysis of whether the GRE predicts student performance in business school as well as the GMAT will take at least two years, the length of the traditional M.B.A. program, said Julie Barefoot, associate dean of MBA admissions at Emory's Goizueta School.

One exception: If the applicant wants to pursue a career in management strategy consulting, Barefoot advises that student to take the GMAT because top firms in that field, such as McKinsey & Co. or Bain & Co., look at a candidate's GMAT scores during the hiring process.They use the GMAT as a way to get a sense of a candidate's raw quantitative abilities," Barefoot said. "Sometimes candidates on the front end aren't aware of that, and it's our job to tell them."

Since the revised GRE was introduced last summer, only a small percentage of students have requested permission to submit it instead of the GMAT, several business school admissions directors said.

"With the GMAT, we have a strong history that we can rely upon," Pyles said. "With the fulltime population of students, because of the short amount of work experience that the students have—it's just usually five years of work—[b]it becomes more important on the application to identify their standing in academic testing.[/b]"

Some information from one of the b-schools (I know you mentioned M7 schools...I know Fuqua isn't M7..But it's a decent program).

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke_mba/daytime/apply_daytime/

In the selection criteria section:

The Daytime MBA academic environment is rigorous, fast-paced, and requires strong quantitative and analytical skills. We utilize standardized test scores (GMAT is preferred but GRE is also accepted)

fitzmanon wrote:
Your GMAT score is better than your GRE score, so you should go with the GMAT. Though I disagree with the previous poster as to the fact that b-schools favor the GMAT over the GRE. As an admission director for an M7 program told me: "If we had less preference for the GRE over the GMAT we just would not accept it".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
also, some people say that schools started taking the GRE to attract more female candidates. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it seems reasonable to met that that was part of the motivation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I took GRE little less than 5 years back. The score is going to expire in a few months. Considering that I scored 1440 on GRE which equals 720 on GMAT according to the ETS tool; should I apply to B-schools with GRE score or take GMAT now?

What is the acceptance rate of GRE among B-schools?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
akhilbajaj wrote:
I took GRE little less than 5 years back. The score is going to expire in a few months. Considering that I scored 1440 on GRE which equals 720 on GMAT according to the ETS tool; should I apply to B-schools with GRE score or take GMAT now?

1) I don't trust any converter in regards to GRE - > GMAT especially when ETS is doing the converting. Reason I say this is that it's apples to oranges since they're different applicant pools. I.e. 90% score on GMAT isn't the same as 90% on the GRE since different people are taking the tests.

2) When are you planning on applying? If it's Round 1, I'd say take the GMAT. If you're trying to do a Round 3 this year, focus on the application.

Final thought: Even if you get admitted with a GRE, keep in mind some top consulting and I-banking firms use the GMAT as a screening tool on resumes. Having not taken the GMAT can't be good in that situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:

1) I don't trust any converter in regards to GRE - > GMAT especially when ETS is doing the converting. Reason I say this is that it's apples to oranges since they're different applicant pools. I.e. 90% score on GMAT isn't the same as 90% on the GRE since different people are taking the tests.

2) When are you planning on applying? If it's Round 1, I'd say take the GMAT. If you're trying to do a Round 3 this year, focus on the application.

Final thought: Even if you get admitted with a GRE, keep in mind some top consulting and I-banking firms use the GMAT as a screening tool on resumes. Having not taken the GMAT can't be good in that situation.

Thanks CobraKai for your reply,

1. A lot of people would not trust ETS conversion. But I am intrigued to know what strategy do B-schools apply to screen candidates from a pool of application with both GMAT and GRE scores. Do they treat these pools differently or do they convert the score and make the scores comparable?

2. I have started preparing for GMAT as I believe a 5 year old score is too old and fresh score would add value. Any thoughts on this?

3. I am planning to apply in first/ second round next year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
akhilbajaj wrote:

Thanks CobraKai for your reply,

1. A lot of people would not trust ETS conversion. But I am intrigued to know what strategy do B-schools apply to screen candidates from a pool of application with both GMAT and GRE scores. Do they treat these pools differently or do they convert the score and make the scores comparable?

2. I have started preparing for GMAT as I believe a 5 year old score is too old and fresh score would add value. Any thoughts on this?

3. I am planning to apply in first/ second round next year.

1. I have no idea what adcoms do. It's like when colleges accept both the SAT and ACT...kind of makes the term "standardized testing" an oxymoron if applicants can take two different tests.

2. If your score is still valid this fall, it's not too old. If the policy is that scores need to be no more than five years old, then there's no difference between a test taken in 2009 or 2013. A good score is a good score.

3. Go ahead and take a crack at the GMAT. Even though more and more schools accept the GRE, I still believe that the GMAT is the gold standard in admissions. If you struggle on the GMAT, you're in a good spot because you still have a good GRE score to fall back on.

akhilbajaj wrote:

This data isn't out there. Also, just like the GMAT is only one part of the application, so is the GRE. There are way too many variables in the application to determine if taking the GRE was the reason someone did or didn't get admitted.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
You did really well on the GMAT so you should apply with that. I personally would only use the GRE if I need to because GMAT was low.
GMAT Club Bot