It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice on IT consulting experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Advice on IT consulting experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 16:15
Hello!
I am an Indian male with a bachelors degree from a top 20 Indian university and a masters degree from a top 30 American university, both in Mechanical Engineering. After my masters degree i took on a business analyst role in the IT industry here in the US. I am employed by a small consulting company and have been working onsite at some big insurance clients for the past year. I was initially trained for a period of one month and then my resume was marketed to clients by my consultancy.

I have plans to do an MBA in the next 2/3 years from a reasonably good (top 30/40) institute and was wondering how admission committees will look at my experience. Will the fact that i am not employed Full time by the companies i work with go against me? With 3 years before i plan to matriculate, i guess the next 6-12 months are crucial if i have to change to a full time job. Also, i have passed my CFA level 1, but havent had any luck getting a job in finance. Is just passing the CFA exams without any experience in finance, seen as an advantage during the admissions process.

My profile in brief-
BSME - 3.3 GPA - Top 20 Indian University
MSME - 3.2 GPA - Top 30 US University
Certifications in Six Sigma, Scrum.
GRE-1450/1600 (havent written my GMAT yet)
Some volunteer work in the US (local foodbank, working with inner city youth)

Target programs: Carlson, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Kelly, Rice, Olin and maybe UNC. (This isn't a definitive list)
Also, i have been saving for the tuition and wont need any help financially.

Thank You!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: SDA Bocconi - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.21
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)
Re: Advice on IT consulting experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 18:22
Hey there !

Few comments on your profile :
- As far as I understand you can show that you are employed with that small consulting company but not like a regular paid employee but more of project by project basis. It would not be a deal-breaker for the schools. Important thing that matters is what kind of projects you did with your clients. Yes, if you had gaps in between, they might consider your experience to be little lesser, but certainly up to you how you project it. For example : You can say you used the time in between to take up community work and your personal interests etc.

- Secondly, the list of your schools need to be revised definitely. I don't see any dream kind of school there. It would be wise to target some great schools as well.

- I am not sure how CFA is related to your Mechanical Engineering degrees and your current work. It seems a bit offbeat, that might concern the adcoms. But again it depends how you create a story of your profile and future steps and how the pieces fit in.
CFA level 1 is anyways not a very big advantage without any work experience. Are you interested in moving towards Finance by the way ?

- If you are planning to do an MBA in next 2-3 years time frame, you have time to do things to alter your profile to suit the needs of your target schools.

Actually, I myself have started an initiative as well to help people plan for their MBA. you can have a look at my website as well. (www.globalmba-gyan.com)
Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers !
Dhiraj

ledattack wrote:
Hello!
I am an Indian male with a bachelors degree from a top 20 Indian university and a masters degree from a top 30 American university, both in Mechanical Engineering. After my masters degree i took on a business analyst role in the IT industry here in the US. I am employed by a small consulting company and have been working onsite at some big insurance clients for the past year. I was initially trained for a period of one month and then my resume was marketed to clients by my consultancy.

I have plans to do an MBA in the next 2/3 years from a reasonably good (top 30/40) institute and was wondering how admission committees will look at my experience. Will the fact that i am not employed Full time by the companies i work with go against me? With 3 years before i plan to matriculate, i guess the next 6-12 months are crucial if i have to change to a full time job. Also, i have passed my CFA level 1, but havent had any luck getting a job in finance. Is just passing the CFA exams without any experience in finance, seen as an advantage during the admissions process.

My profile in brief-
BSME - 3.3 GPA - Top 20 Indian University
MSME - 3.2 GPA - Top 30 US University
Certifications in Six Sigma, Scrum.
GRE-1450/1600 (havent written my GMAT yet)
Some volunteer work in the US (local foodbank, working with inner city youth)

Target programs: Carlson, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Kelly, Rice, Olin and maybe UNC. (This isn't a definitive list)
Also, i have been saving for the tuition and wont need any help financially.

Thank You!

Dhiraj Jha
http://www.globalmba-gyan.com
MBA 2011 - SDA Bocconi School of Management (Milan, Italy)
Global Account Management, Samsung Electronics Headquarters (Korea)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 22:21
Thanks for the reply Dhiraj,

On my selection of schools,I try to restrain from overreaching because
1. My academic record is unflattering, i was fairly average at both my degrees.
2. Although i enjoy the job that i do, the only reason i chose it is because i had a hard time find a job related to mechanical engineering. I figure adcoms will somehow know this and hold it against me. Otherwise, professionally i am doing enough to stand out in the work place and using skills like project management and client interfacing, which are probably easier to translate into work exp for an MBA.
3. The typical indian IT Male profile.

Post MBA i would like to get into management consulting/finance, i wrote the CFA in an attempt to switch over to a financial analyst role. I have been applying to junior analyst positions, but it looks like i will need to pass the level 2 to increase my chances.I spend some of my free time studying for the CFA so it doesnt affect my work.

Also, if everything goes according to plan i will be matriculating at 30, i read somewhere that adcoms are more selective about people in their 30s, is this something i should be concerned about?

PS: The website looks good! I will try to get in touch with you if i have questions during the actual process.

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: SDA Bocconi - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.21
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 23:37
Hey !

Thanks for the comment on the website and yes sure, get in touch whenever you feel like. The main idea for me was to actually help people who are plannig a bit long term so that there is time to manage various aspects of your profile.

Anyways, I would still say atleast overreach a bit, may be at least one dream school. :)

I don't think turning 30 would cause any such issue. Yes, the adcoms are more selective about people in 30s. Its a statistic but its mostly that they expect more from someone in 30s than junior ones.

Let me know if you have any more questions !

Cheers !
Dhiraj

ledattack wrote:
Thanks for the reply Dhiraj,

On my selection of schools,I try to restrain from overreaching because
1. My academic record is unflattering, i was fairly average at both my degrees.
2. Although i enjoy the job that i do, the only reason i chose it is because i had a hard time find a job related to mechanical engineering. I figure adcoms will somehow know this and hold it against me. Otherwise, professionally i am doing enough to stand out in the work place and using skills like project management and client interfacing, which are probably easier to translate into work exp for an MBA.
3. The typical indian IT Male profile.

Post MBA i would like to get into management consulting/finance, i wrote the CFA in an attempt to switch over to a financial analyst role. I have been applying to junior analyst positions, but it looks like i will need to pass the level 2 to increase my chances.I spend some of my free time studying for the CFA so it doesnt affect my work.

Also, if everything goes according to plan i will be matriculating at 30, i read somewhere that adcoms are more selective about people in their 30s, is this something i should be concerned about?

PS: The website looks good! I will try to get in touch with you if i have questions during the actual process.

Dhiraj Jha
http://www.globalmba-gyan.com
MBA 2011 - SDA Bocconi School of Management (Milan, Italy)
Global Account Management, Samsung Electronics Headquarters (Korea)

Re: Advice on IT consulting experience   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2014, 23:37

Advice on IT consulting experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap