Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: advice on MBA of family business [#permalink]
I would advise you to focus on gmat prep than shortlisting schools at this stage .. for schools you can apply to any good top rank ones, as they wont discount the gmat score considering your family business background..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, TheIvyLeagueEdge, pintukr, and Archit3110

Thanks to yours opinions,and these are definitely helpful and insightful.

I want to apologize that I forgot to mention more detail about my application documents

These are my socre so far
GPA: 3.45
GMAT: 680 IR:7 AWA:3
Toefl: 95

The problem is that my major in univeristy belongs to biology area, and it is no relationship with business. In the same time, I don't work in biology industry as well.
I want to apply the Tier 1 school which has MBA of family business program, but I am not sure that my major will have negtive effect to the application.

In conclusion, according to these coniditions, which school that I have more possibility to enter?

Thank for sharing in advance
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
T4W01:

Adding in our two bits here, we're not sure you want to restrict yourself solely to MBA programs that are focused on family businesses. It's a niche area and, frankly, not many business schools are devoting resources towards those who have family-run companies.

However, the good thing is that many business schools have courses that deal with small businesses, entrepreneurship, and management in general. If you zero in on programs that have plentiful options in those areas, you should be in great shape.

With a 680 on the GMAT and a desire to attend a Tier 1 program, you need to open up the list of schools so you have options.

Please reach out to us for a free consultation if you want to discuss in more detail. We are happy to assess your profile with greater depth and assist you in building a strong list of schools.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey, T4W01

Thank you for your post!

Firstly I must say you have a decent GMAT score & GPA. Additionally, I would suggest adding more information about your overall statistics and specifics about any further courses, credentials, and academic accomplishments to make your profile stand out on the academic front! Coming to work experience, seven years of work experience spread across manufacturing and trade roles seems quite impressive. However, spending most of the time in the family business, getting into an MBA school with a family business background poses a few challenges but no need to worry! Here is an article you could refer to, How to stand out in your MBA application with a family business background, this would most certainly help provide insights about how to approach your MBA application with a family business background and provide Top B-school Targets for you. Additionally, it would be crucial for you to highlight stellar leadership examples, professional growth, career progressions, and any global exposure/ experience, as it’s an essential part of the overall application, looked over by the AdComs in prospective candidates!

Moreover, about Biology being your major, you need to give strong reasons for your decision to pursue the family business. For your reference, I suggest you go through our article on How you can justify your career switch in MBA Application! It would help you portray your reasons and the Impact of your decision on your career progression! Also, please mention some ECAs to help your profile get a unique blend. I suggest adding any relevant community or volunteering work you are involved in current or even some interesting hobbies and briefly stating them. For instance, I suggest you go through our article on Significance of ECAs for MBA Application, to understand the importance of drafting exemplary ECAs essays!

Overall you have a decent profile. However, you would require a higher score to be admitted to top MBA Programs. Nevertheless, provide adequate examples of your brilliance by establishing your application’s credibility and incorporating the values you have acquired throughout your lengthy tenure. It could compensate for some extra points! However, I feel we would require more knowledge on your ECAs, Leadership examples, and the career switch! If you’d like, we are happy to get on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to the top B-schools. So feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

T4W01 wrote:
Hi, TheIvyLeagueEdge, pintukr, and Archit3110

Thanks to yours opinions,and these are definitely helpful and insightful.

I want to apologize that I forgot to mention more detail about my application documents

These are my socre so far
GPA: 3.45
GMAT: 680 IR:7 AWA:3
Toefl: 95

The problem is that my major in univeristy belongs to biology area, and it is no relationship with business. In the same time, I don’t work in biology industry as well.
I want to apply the Tier 1 school which has MBA of family business program, but I am not sure that my major will have negtive effect to the application.

In conclusion, according to these coniditions, which school that I have more possibility to enter?

Thank for sharing in advance
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
advice on MBA of family business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
T4W01 wrote:
Hi, Everyone

I have worked in my family's company for 7 years.
Our company has two main departments that is manufacture and trade.

Being one of successor in the company, I have two years’ experience in manufacture and five years’ experience in export so far, so I am looking for an MBA program to strength my ability in international trade and enterprise management.

I like the abundant culture of Europe and I want to develope the market in Europe; thus, I temporarily target the business school in this area where I found TUM and RSM have research center in family business, and IESE has many student which are successor or executive, but I am not sure which school is suitable for me.

If anyone would share your experience or advice which school is great at family business in Europe, even if the school is not in Europe, I will appreciate your kindness.

Thanks

Hello T4W01,

You should anyway apply to multiple schools and all the schools in consideration are fine programs for the goals you are chasing. Besides these, you must definitely look at Babson in the US. ISB too has a Family Business Management program that you could look at unless you are absolutely keen on gaining greater international exposure.

All the best!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Working in a family business builds character, resiliency and leadership and management skills—a perfect combination for an MBA.
This is what admission committees like to hear about most: how you are moving the business forward. In your resume, you want to ensure that you are quantifying your impact and acknowledging all of your contributions.
The best advice for making your family business experience shine in your b-school applications and interviews is to start by writing a job listing to fill your role—better yet, have a colleague write one as well.

For more tips on applying to MBA programs with family business background, please visit: https://aringo.com/applying-for-a-top-m ... ackground/
GMAT Club Bot