GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 15:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Queen's MBA'20
Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 10:40
Hi Everyone,
So after a preparation of 4.5 long months (250+hours), i took a GMAT (CAT) test that was available on MBA.com. And i got a disappointing score of only 490. Q35, V22

Analysis:
QUANT:
I got 16 incorrect out of 31 in quant section.
Wrong Quest: 1,3,6,12,13,14,16,17,18,20,25,28,29,30,31

Verbal:
I got 16 incorrect
Wrong Quest:1,3,4,8,11,17,18,19,21,25,27,29,31,32,33

IR: Didnt touch the IR part, just clicked on next next, and i got only 1 score. (Because i was told that IR wont affect other sections)

My experiences:
-I am good in Verbal even though i failed to demonstrate that during the test.
-I understand my Maths is quite weak and i get confused with some easy questions that are asked in a word problem.
-I admit that i am not very strong in quant but i do am familiar with many concepts that are being tested in GMAT. And i have finished OG and have also taken classes offered by Jamboree.

-I have booked my GMAT on 11th March and i my target score is above 600. Currently i am reading 3-4 RC passages everyday and practicing that. As for quants I am doing questions of OG on daily basis and on top of that revising some questions that i did in my class.

Any advises that someone can give me here pls?
I know that i got plenty of questions wrong in my test, but still i was expecting the score to be above 500, so I am not really sure why my score is extremely low ?

CURRENT STRATEGY:
Quant: Completing each and every question of OG and knowing it by heart. Revising everday.
Verbal: Reading comprehension 3-4 passages on daily basis. Revision of SC and from time to time practicing CR.

Can anyone help me with some advise ?
As i just have one month left for preparation and i am 100 points away from my desired score. Although i am good in Verbal but still failed to achieve that.
Appreciate your answers.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 20:33
Hi hsn81960,

To start, raising a 490 to the point that you could consistently score 600+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, with a March 11th Test Date, you have less than 4 weeks of study time remaining. As such, you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Before we discuss this CAT in more detail, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 21:20
hsn81960 wrote:
My experiences:
-I am good in Verbal even though i failed to demonstrate that during the test.
-I understand my Maths is quite weak and i get confused with some easy questions that are asked in a word problem.
-I admit that i am not very strong in quant but i do am familiar with many concepts that are being tested in GMAT. And i have finished OG and have also taken classes offered by Jamboree.

-I have booked my GMAT on 11th March and i my target score is above 600. Currently i am reading 3-4 RC passages everyday and practicing that. As for quants I am doing questions of OG on daily basis and on top of that revising some questions that i did in my class.

Any advises that someone can give me here pls?
I know that i got plenty of questions wrong in my test, but still i was expecting the score to be above 500, so I am not really sure why my score is extremely low ?
I'd take at least one more official practice test if I were you. Can you do that within a week or so? It may be that this score is "off", and it would be a good idea to confirm whether that is indeed the case.
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 02:10
Hi AjiteshArun,
Surely I will take another CAT this weekend. I am just not sure which one to take.
Because last weekend i took Manhattan CAT and got 590. Personally i feel that the scores were a bit inflated as compared to MBA.com CAT test.
Any ideas?
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 08:39
hsn81960 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,
Surely I will take another CAT this weekend. I am just not sure which one to take.
Because last weekend i took Manhattan CAT and got 590. Personally i feel that the scores were a bit inflated as compared to MBA.com CAT test.
Any ideas?
I'm not sure why you feel that your 590 is not a good estimate, but I wouldn't waste any time trying to compare tests across providers. Just take another GMATPrep (official, MBA.com) test.
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 08:54
Will definitely do this weekend. the only issue is that i have one test remaining and i was intending to keep it for my last weekend of studies before the exam
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 08:56
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.
I am trying to study roughly 3-4 hours a day and over 7 hours on weekends. and from 1st of March I will increase my studying hours to 10 hours per day. so thats another 100 hours in 10 days.
Every weekend I am giving a CAT exam to train myself.

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
I have mainly just relied on OG and 1 book that comprise each and every part of Quant and Verbal provided by Jamboree institute. Its like a summary of the whole GMAT. For verbal i have also watched videos provided by the institute where we solve questions from OG.
2) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
I have taken 3 CAT exams so far.
-1st CAT was from MBA.com and i got 430. but i was not prepared well and also exhausted. (That was on 8th January. Q22, V25)
Right after 1st CAT i focused entirely to improve my Verbal as i am weak in Maths and after one month i took my 2nd CAT.
-2nd CAT was also from MBA.com, the same test i did before and i got 490 with intensive studies and preparation. I got V22 and Q35 which is very strange because i only prepared more for Verbal and the score decreased.
-3rd CAT was from Manhattan ( Last week). Surprising enough i got 590 in the test but it felt like the scores were a bit inflated in Manhattan. so im not sure. Q38 and V33

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I would like to apply this year. for Fall semester or for semesters starting in January next year.
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
-Queen's (Canada)
-Rotterdam Business School (Netherlands)
-York Schuilch (Canada)

Sometimes i feel like I am studying a lot and there are some improvements, but I just fail to demonstrate my capabilities on the actual test. It will be very hard to change the date of my exam due to my work. 11th of March is the best shot i got as i already took 10 days off in March just to prepare myself.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Hassan
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 09:35
hsn81960 wrote:
Will definitely do this weekend. the only issue is that i have one test remaining and i was intending to keep it for my last weekend of studies before the exam
How many have you already taken? You have a total of 6, if you are open to buying a few more tests.
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 10:50
i havent bought them. so i only get 2 free exams
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 14:55
Hi Hassan,

To start, you have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. I've never asked anyone to study 10 hours a day - and while it's great that you might have the available time to study that much, you would run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day (and that is something that we want to avoid). If you are going to try to study that much, then I suggest that you take one hour "off" for every two hours of study. For example, you could study for 2 hours, then stop for an hour, then study for another 2 hours, etc. You should pay careful attention about how you're feeling during that time though - and stop if you're feeling tired or if you don't appear to be retaining what you've learned.

In addition, retaking a CAT that you've already taken will almost certainly lead to seeing repeat questions. Unfortunately, even a few of those repeat questions will throw off the Scoring Algorithm as well as the 'realism' of the experience and your pacing, stress and energy levels will all be 'better' than they normally would be. From what you describe, your 2nd CAT was right around February 8th - and was a retake of your 1st CAT (from January). Since that 2nd CAT was a 'retake', I would have to assume that the 490 was an inflated result - implying that your general ability level was still in the mid-400s. The jump to 590 on your 3rd CAT (in such a short timeframe) seems like it may be an unrealistic result.

At this point, it's not clear what your current ability level actually is, so I'd suggest that you study as you choose for the next week, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 08:06
Will do, thank you Rich.
Just quick question. I noticed that there is a free CAT exam available at GMATclub. Would you recommend me to take that ?
Is the score predictor close to the actual GMAT ?

Hassan
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 12:43
Hi hsn81960,

I actually responded to your question here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/advise-on-gm ... 88647.html

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 13:20
Hi Hassan,

When I referred to a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT, I was referring to any of the 6 Official GMAC CATs or any of the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT or Veritas. Again, since we want as realistic a result as possible, you should make sure to take that CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

Rich

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 13:23
Thank you so much Rich, Really appreciate your support here.
Will keep you posted.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2019, 13:23

Advise on GMAT Preparation ( Disappointing Result of 2nd mock test)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep