GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 00:43
semwal wrote:
SAUMYA12

semwal wrote:
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

incorrect portions highlighted.......

A. tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help
B. testedthat could eventually have the capability of propellingaircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help
C. tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, orhelping
D. tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or helping
E. tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help.....CORRECT....

TO ME .....THE PORTION......."TESTED THAT COULD EVENTUALLY PROPEL" ......APPEARED AMBIGUOUS ....WHAT COULD " THAT" MEAN.....ie WHAT COULD PROPEL.....THAT SHOULD FOLLOW IMMEDIATELY AFTER WHAT IT MODIFIES....

HELLO..

in case of words such as that,which..they can modify slightly far away words that eventually makes sense ...its a rule discussed on many forums on gmatclub..
heres one classic example -

the box of nails,that is on the counter, is to be used on this project.

its a correct sentence as 'is' represents singular noun which can only be a box here..

for more details on this,u can visit article from magoosh..

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

HOPE IT HELPS :)

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 00:54
This one is confirmed-gmat-prep problem.

As we know that if modifier is quite long (as Ron says 6 miles long) then we can place verb before modifier to keep verb close to the subject. Definitely all other choice are either awkward or wordy and even I felt that no choice is correct, but now A makes sense after reading discussion on mgmat forum.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/aft ... t3171.html

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 01:02
vards wrote:
the box of nails,that is on the counter, is to be used on this project.

its a correct sentence as 'is' represents singular noun which can only be a box here..

A very minor thing is that if this sentence were to appear on GMAT, you would expect that there is no comma before that.

This is because that is (what is called as) essential modifier and so, is not preceded by a comma.

On the other hand, which is (what is called as) non-essential modifier and is always preceded by a comma.

Having said that, for the most part, punctuation per-se is not explicitly tested on GMAT.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 20:03
The OA was (A), but I chose (E) because the engine may eventually have the ability to propel, not eventually propel (as option (A) suggests). I also agree with the explanation that shekharvineet gave! Thoughts?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 00:03
vgmatv wrote:
The OA was (A), but I chose (E) because the engine may eventually have the ability to propel, not eventually propel (as option (A) suggests). I also agree with the explanation that shekharvineet gave! Thoughts?

"Can" and "have the capability" are redundant.

I can do so... correct.
I have the capability to do so...... correct
I can have the capability to do so.... redundant.

Therefore E is wrong ("could" here is the hypothetical case of "can").
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 01:49
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help
(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help
(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping
(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or helping
(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 04:34
Top Contributor
No need to strain much to reach the goal in a good number of the cases, if we can spot the easily visible and simple errors in a sentence.
'1. Have the capability has never been the correct selection in GMAT. Add to that the redundancy of 'could', and it becomes a popping error. Drop B and E reflexively
2.if there is going to be participle after the fanboys 'or' in the second arm, there should be a correspondingly parallel participle in the first arm. if not, it is a foul on symmetrical parallelism. One can make bold to eliminate C and D on this count.
A is left.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 06:05
Imo A
B is wordy and awkward
C is a fragment .
D used and
E used and

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 00:37
Hi All,

can some one provide a link for usage of that

Thanks!!!

trainspotting wrote:

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help
(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help
(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping
(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or helping
(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 01:53

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 06:47
Top Contributor
konork
Reg: 'that'
Pl see

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/that

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 01:09

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 06:29
a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft

In the above underlined statement that cannot refer to "a new type of jet engine" because
"that" is placed after the verb "is being".

IMO , A is wrong , E is fine
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 06:55
rkandula wrote:
a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft

In the above underlined statement that cannot refer to "a new type of jet engine" because
"that" is placed after the verb "is being".

IMO , A is wrong , E is fine

Hi rkandula, this is an official question and the official answer is A.

So, this just shows how flexible that is, in terms of what that can modify, even a noun before the verb.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 07:01
May i know which version of OG has this question , curious to see the official explanation :)
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 07:31
rkandula wrote:
May i know which version of OG has this question , curious to see the official explanation :)

This seems to be a GMATPrep question and hence, no official explanation will be available.

In any case, official explanations are of some use for incorrect options.

Also, I do recollect coming across another question from a recent OG, where which was doing the same thing. Again, can't remember the exact question.

Thanks,
Ashish

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 10:09
trainspotting wrote:

what make us not choose A is that "that could..." is far from new type. this case is special because normally relative clause must be close to the noun. however if the relative clause is long we can make a pattern like in choice A. this pattern is so special that we can not find any explanation of it in grammar book. but , nothing to know more. we learn this pattern inhere.

this problem prove that after learning basic grammar, we can learn new point of grammar in the text we read. reading and realizing/infering the grammar in the text is key to mastering of english.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 21:59
i dont think grammar works in a random fashion , if we start inferring grammar from text then inference can go in infinite ways.
I guess "That" in the sentence ,IMO , for sure cannot to refer to a noun before the verb .

Some one said its an official question , but there was no explanation .
Some other said similar question from OG , but no mention of which question and in which OG version.

Given this data not sure how could any one take A as the answer
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 23:40
Hi Experts / GMATNinja / sayantanc2k,

Can you please confirm my analysis on choice C?

1) Meaning issue 1: "eventually able to.." is now converted to an adverbial modifier it seems and doesn't convey the meaning. IMO it now modifies the verb "is being tested". Plus the comma before "or" is a little awkward, though not a major issue.
2) Parallelism issue - to propel not parallel to helping
3) Meaning issue 2: "eventually able to.." the use of hypothetical could is gone. Now it looks like the jet engine can definitely propel .. or help.. - we need could here since its a possibility.

Thank you!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 15:25
semwal wrote:
incorrect portions highlighted.......

A. tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help

TO ME .....THE PORTION......."TESTED THAT COULD EVENTUALLY PROPEL" ......APPEARED AMBIGUOUS ....WHAT COULD " THAT" MEAN.....ie WHAT COULD PROPEL.....THAT SHOULD FOLLOW IMMEDIATELY AFTER WHAT IT MODIFIES....

I totally agree, and I find that structure to be awkward and illogical. The following alternative structures are better.

After more than four decades of research and development, being tested is a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit is being tested.

Regardless of whether one could debate that the structure is OK, GMAC should not have used such an illogical, awkward, unfamiliar, and debatably incorrect structure in an OA. The question should have been edited or thrown out.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Re: After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 15:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 43 posts ] 

After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap