GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 06:41

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (01:28) correct 66% (01:18) wrong based on 460 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of cocoa solids, the darker, more flavorful parts of the cocoa mass.

(A) As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of

(B) Like the way in which “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is made, the way in which white chocolate is made is similar to it, except in that there is no use of

(C) Just as they are in “ordinary chocolate,” which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, the ingredients used in making white chocolate are mostly the same, the difference being the

(D) Used in the making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, but not included among the ingredients of white chocolate are

(E) The making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is like white chocolate, and contains most of the same ingredients, containing also

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 19 Jan 2017, 23:40.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 21 Jan 2017, 05:18, edited 4 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 05:57
Edited A and B to address possible issues.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 23:44
To get this one right, you have to be careful to not get sucked in by the seeming correctness of some of the answer choices.

For instance, choice A seems to correctly compare '"ordinary" chocolate' with "white chocolate". However, "As is" does not match "contains".

Choice B seems to compare the ways in which the two types of chocolate are made, but actually is nonsensical.

'Like the way in which "ordinary" chocolate ... is made, the way in which white chocolate is similar to it ..."

Similar to what? Are the methods similar to each other? to something else?

So, there is plenty to catch in this question.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 23:50
Thanks for the question :-)

What's the subject in the correct choice?
IMHO,Used... but not included... are modifier
the main verb is "are"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 00:14
sleepynut wrote:

the main verb is "are"

I believe that by looking in the non underlined portion of the sentence you will find the subject of the correct version of the sentence.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 01:05
MartyMurray wrote:
sleepynut wrote:

the main verb is "are"

I believe that by looking in the non underlined portion of the sentence you will find the subject of the correct version of the sentence.

Ohhh.. sorry I'm not used to the inverted construction. :( :|
It should be cocoa solids

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 04:31
sleepynut wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
sleepynut wrote:

the main verb is "are"

Ohhh.. sorry I'm not used to the inverted construction. :( :|
It should be cocoa solids

Thanks

That inverted construction is an example of how the GMAT can throw you a curve ball. GMAT SC can be like a pitcher, throwing you various types of pitches, keeping you off balance. Just when you think that you have the sentence figured out, the construction of the OA turns out to be different from what you expected to see.

So you have to be very diligent in finding errors in order to eliminated the flawed choices while remaining open minded about how the right answer will look. If you don't get what's going on in a question, keep looking for something logical.

Of course, had I actually left the subject out of the OA, you would have just driven yourself crazy, as I sometimes do to myself when presented with a flawed question, going into beast mode, looking and looking for logic where there is none. :shock:

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 20:03
MartyMurray great question.. I nailed it .But could you please post the OE ? I want to check my reasoning
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 11:18
AdityaHongunti wrote:
MartyMurray great question.. I nailed it .But could you please post the OE ? I want to check my reasoning

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of cocoa solids, the darker, more flavorful parts of the cocoa mass.

(A) As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of

This choices illogical compares how "ordinary chocolate is with that white chocolate contains.

(B) Like the way in which “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is made, the way in which white chocolate is made is similar to it, except in that there is no use of

This choice illogically states that both the way in which "ordinary" chocolate is made and the way in which white chocolate is made are similar to some unknown "it". The pronoun 'it" could refer to '"ordinary" chocolate,' but then the sentence would illogically compare the way in which white chocolate is made with "ordinary" chocolate. Also, this version says that there is no use of cocoa solids without quite making clear in what there is no use of cocoa solids.

(C) Just as they are in “ordinary chocolate,” which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, the ingredients used in making white chocolate are mostly the same, the difference being the

This choice seems to be meant to say that the ingredients in one kind of chocolate are the same for the most part as the ingredients in the other, but actually, it conveys the illogical meaning that the ingredients in both "ordinary" chocolate and white chocolate are "mostly the same" as something, without indicating what they are the same as. Given that meaning, the part that says "the difference being the cocoa solids" just adds more nonsense to an already nonsensical sentence.

(D) Used in the making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, but not included among the ingredients of white chocolate are

This choice sounds funny at first, but when we combine it with the non-underlined portion, we get a sentence that clearly conveys the logical meaning that the cocoa solids are used in the making of "ordinary" chocolate but are not included among the ingredients of white chocolate.

Notice, this choice is correct but written to look incorrect, as is typical of many correct answers in SC questions.

(E) The making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is like white chocolate, and contains most of the same ingredients, containing also

This choice illogically compares the making of "ordinary chocolate with white chocolate itself. Also, this version conveys the illogical meaning that the making of ordinary chocolate contains cocoa solids.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2018, 11:18

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap