GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 03:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:17) correct 7% (01:35) wrong based on 942 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly amplified music played at local clubs, Middletown is considering a law that would prohibit clubs located in residential areas from employing musical groups that consist of more than three people.

The likelihood that the law would be effective in reducing noise would be most seriously diminished if which of the following were true?

A. Groups that consist of more than three musicians are usually more expensive for clubs to hire than are groups that consist of fewer than three musicians.
B. In towns that have passed similar laws, many clubs in residential areas have relocated to nonresidential areas.
C. Most of the complaints about the music have come from people who do not regularly attend the clubs.
D. Much of the music popular at the local clubs can be played only by groups of at least four musicians.
E. Amplified music played by fewer than three musicians generally is as loud as amplified music played by more than three musicians.

CR91661.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 13:01
After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly amplified music played at local clubs, Middletown is considering a law that would prohibit clubs located in residential areas from employing musical groups that consist of more than three people.

Stmt suggests: It is the number of people that causes amplified music voice to increase and reducing the number of people will reduce the noise.
However if we prove that noise is independent of the number of people. This will be weaked.
Option E clearly states that amplified sounds doesn't reduce with less number of people.
but lets look at other options too

The likelihood that the law would be effective in reducing noise would be most seriously diminished if which of the following were true?

A. Groups that consist of more than three musicians are usually more expensive for clubs to hire than are groups that consist of fewer than three musicians.No effect on noise or doesnt break the conclusion that will reduce noise
B. In towns that have passed similar laws, many clubs in residential areas have relocated to nonresidential areas.this infact supports the argument
C. Most of the complaints about the music have come from people who do not regularly attend the clubs.It has no effect since it does not weaken the stmt. as they will have noo impact on sound
D. Much of the music popular at the local clubs can be played only by groups of at least four musicians.This again will no weaken since their is no opposition stated to ti
E. Amplified music played by fewer than three musicians generally is as loud as amplified music played by more than three musicians.As proved above this will weaken as rule will have no effect

Keep it simple. Keep it blank
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Re: After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2019, 08:04
Quote:

The conclusion isn’t explicitly stated in the stimulus, but we are told in the answer choice that: employing groups with less than 3 people will (clearly) reduce noise. Is this necessarily true? This seems like an overly broad conclusion. How can we conclude that fewer people leads to less noise? A correct answer choice would be one that provides evidence that lack of people in a group won’t influence them to increase the volume of their music. This leads us to (E).

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 14:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2020, 14:53

After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics