GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 13 Jul 2020, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 11:44
Dear All ,

Need your advice on what school should be suitable for me . I am 37 yrs old and planning to do Masters in the upcoming year (2021). I have more than 13+ years of experience in IT and have worked in India for 6 years and the rest in Saudi Arabia. Currently I am confused of how to choose the B-school for my self. Not willing to spend around 50-70Lakhs on the course, I am meanwhile preparing for Gmat and targeting around 650+. Can you please suggest what would be good options for me for MS Finance or MBA Finance , or if you could suggest me some other courses .. I am not willing to continue on the technical side of IT any more hence , not data science or computing. Any advice on my current situation would be appreciated.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
D
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 14:23
Megha2908 ..
Welcome to Gmatclub. MBA will be a better option. I recommend you to target 1-year programs in IIM (A, B, C) or ISB. MBA from abroad will cost you above 50 lacs without scholarship. Your age could be an issue but it can be justified with compelling stories. I also recommend to get 700 that will make your profile stronger. If you are in a hurry, it will be better to take advice from a consultant.

Why do you want to move to Finance?
Why MBA ?
What are your flexible options?
Why not EMBA part-time?
Look - Mini-Masters courses at online platforms such as coursera and AMP program in IIM - B.

You need to look for options and do bit research on them. Reply for further discussion :)

Megha2908 wrote:
Dear All ,

Need your advice on what school should be suitable for me . I am 37 yrs old and planning to do Masters in the upcoming year (2021). I have more than 13+ years of experience in IT and have worked in India for 6 years and the rest in Saudi Arabia. Currently I am confused of how to choose the B-school for my self. Not willing to spend around 50-70Lakhs on the course, I am meanwhile preparing for Gmat and targeting around 650+. Can you please suggest what would be good options for me for MS Finance or MBA Finance , or if you could suggest me some other courses .. I am not willing to continue on the technical side of IT any more hence , not data science or computing. Any advice on my current situation would be appreciated.

Experts - Bunuel , GMATNinja , SajjadAhmad
Useful forums All you need for Quant , Quant Megathread
SC , CR , RC , SC Megathread , CR Megathread , RC Megathread
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 14:33
Thanks for the insight . Actually I am also willing to relocate from my current country of work (Saudi Arabia) . So a full time MBA seems a better option to me . I evaluated few MBA 1 year courses but they seem in UK or Ireland only .I was looking at both MSc and MBA programs and got to the conclusion , as I don’t want to continue any more in a technical field of computers which I am currently in from past so many years .. Hence chose the option of management .

Could you suggest any more streams apart from Finance . my interests are in economics and Finance , would appreciate insight in any other courses .

Would appreciate a reply or more of your advice on B- schools and any clue about scholarships as well how much can be availed .

Posted from my mobile device
HEC & IMD School Moderator
D
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 14:48
Hi,
Generally, the 1 year MBA programs are famous in Europe. You can find many schools such as Oxford, Cambridge, Rotterdam, HEC, IMD, etc. for 1 year MBAs. These schools are the top ones and hence it will be competitive. I assume you are a woman. If yes, you have a bit advantage in applying to European schools because most of the schools want to increase their women ratio in class. If you want to target lower-tier - try for German MBA programs such as WHU, ESMT, HHL. They are also 1-year programs.

Many programs are General management and then you can take electives of your choice for Strategy, Entrepreneurship, operations, marketing, finance, etc. The problem is to find a job after an MBA. For example - you are coming from an IT background with a huge experience and want to take finance elective - who will hire you? Do not take it otherwise. Just think practically. You should take something of operations, technology, general management. Why- because your background could relate to your goal.
Otherwise, you need to prove that you can handle Finance with some examples.

For scholarships, you must get a high GMAT score. I do not know your professional achievements, extracurriculars, academic performance but the age factor is against you. You can't change it. So, put your focus first on GMAT and get a score of at least 700.

Also, check the courses/options I mentioned in my last post.

Megha2908 wrote:
Thanks for the insight . Actually I am also willing to relocate from my current country of work (Saudi Arabia) . So a full time MBA seems a better option to me . I evaluated few MBA 1 year courses but they seem in UK or Ireland only .I was looking at both MSc and MBA programs and got to the conclusion , as I don’t want to continue any more in a technical field of computers which I am currently in from past so many years .. Hence chose the option of management .

Could you suggest any more streams apart from Finance . my interests are in economics and Finance , would appreciate insight in any other courses .

Would appreciate a reply or more of your advice on B- schools and any clue about scholarships as well how much can be availed .

Posted from my mobile device

Experts - Bunuel , GMATNinja , SajjadAhmad
Useful forums All you need for Quant , Quant Megathread
SC , CR , RC , SC Megathread , CR Megathread , RC Megathread
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation   [#permalink] 05 May 2020, 14:48

Age 37 Willing to Study MBA/MS for boosting career and relocation

new topic post reply Update application status