Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [92]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618951 [42]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [16]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [8]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Al, Pablo, and Marsha shared the driving on a 1,500-mile trip. Which [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Marsha drove 450 miles meaning Al and Pablo drove a combined950but we still don't know who drove the most.

Its these kind of mistakes which may cause to be the difference between a 750 and an average score :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Al, Pablo, and Marsha shared the driving on a 1,500-mile trip. Which [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
You don't necessarily need too much math for this one.

From (2) we know that Marsha drove 450 miles, meaning that Al and Pablo drove 1050 miles. This tells us that Marsha wasn't the one who drove the greatest distance. But still not sufficient to know who between Al and Pablo drove the most miles.

From (1), consider two extreme scenarios:
[Scenario One]: Al drove 1 mph, whereas Pablo drove 6 mph. In this case, even if Al drove an hour longer than Pablo, it was Pablo who drove the greatest number of miles.
[Scenario Two]: Al drove 200 mph, whereas Pablo drove 205 mph. In this case, an hour extra driving from Al makes him the one who drove the most distance.

Therefore: Answer E.

I hope that is clear for the ones who avoid math for DS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sondenso wrote:
Al, Pablo, and Marsha shared the driving on a 1,500-mile trip. Which of the three drove the greatest distance on the trip?

(1) Al drove 1 hour longer than Pablo but at an average rate of 5 miles per hour slower than Pablo.

(2) Marsha drove 9 hours and averaged 50 miles per hour.

Going by process of Elimination

Lets take (2) --> It only indicates that Marsha drove 450 km so the remaining distance of 1500 - 450 could be distributed anyway between Al and Pablo. Clearly not sufficient

Taking (1) Let speeds of Pablo = p , time = t. Alone it is clearly insufficient as there are 2 variables and one equation so multiple solutions possible.
Pooling up with (2) ,
1050 = p*t + (p -5)*(t+1)

Since this has two variables and only equation , it can infinite results so Not sufficient.

Bunuel - is my thought process correct ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
Al, Pablo, and Marsha shared the driving on a 1,500-mile trip. Which of the three drove the greatest distance on the trip?

(1) Al drove 1 hour longer than Pablo but at an average rate of 5 miles per hour slower than Pablo.

1. no info about Marsha. just provided the outline about relation. Hence Not suff.

2. only info about Marsha.. marsha drove 450miles. no info abt others.

combining... aside to marsha 450... no proper info abt divided distance calculation for Al & pablo.

Hence E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
sondenso wrote:

I just did this question, and I picked C.

If you know that there was 1050 miles to go, Pablo's speed was 5 miles faster, and Al drive for an hour longer. why can't you solve it?
Al's speed was about = 52.9 mph at 10 hours, and pablos was about 57.9 for 9 hours? That meets all the criteria?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
let Speed of A, P and M be SA, SP and SM resp.
& time taken by A, P and M be TA, TP and TM resp.
distance covered by A + distance covered by P + distance covered by M = Total Distance

SA*TA + SP*TP + SM*TM = 1500 --------(1)

To determine : which value is greater among SA*TA , SP*TP & SM*TM

Statement(1) : TA=TP + 1 , SA= SP-5 ; substitute in (1) >> insufficient
Statement(2) : TM=9 , SM =50 ; SM*TM = 450
substitute in (1) : SA*TA + SP*TP = 1050
at this point we have many combinations of SA*TA & SP*TP : can not compare the values >> insufficient

Combining (1) & (2) , we still can't determine the individual values.

Ans : E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hope this helps. Basically, at the end we have 1 equations with 2 unknowns of Rate and Time. If we knew one of them we could solve. But we don't
A= Al
P= Pablo
M= Marsha
D= Distance
R= Rate
T= Time
D1=Pablo's distance
D2= Marsha's distance
D3 = Al's distance
R2= Marsha's rate (which we don't ever need)
T2 = Marsha's time
Al's Rate and time can be defined in terms of Pablo
R= Pablo's Rate
T= Pablo's Time

Physics Formula Distance = Rate X Time.
Attachments

AL P M.jpg
AL P M.jpg [ 60.09 KiB | Viewed 40559 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6273 [9]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos