GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alice has 3 times the number of stamps t that Doris does an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Alice has 3 times the number of stamps t that Doris does an [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 08:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:32) correct 33% (01:40) wrong based on 162 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Alice has 3 times the number of stamps that Doris does and Jane has 7 stamps more than Doris does. If Alice, Doris, and Jane each increase their number of stamps by 4, which of the following must be true after each person increases her number of stamps?

Alice has more stamps than Jane.
Jane has 3 more stamps than Doris.
The sum of the numbers of stamps that Alice and Doris have is a multiple of 4.

A.None
B.III only
C.I and III only
D.II and III only
E.I, II, and III

Spoiler: :: OE
Before each person increased her number of stamps, let's let the number of stamps that Alice has be A, let's let the number of stamps that Doris has be D, and let's let the number of stamps that Jane has be J.

Since Alice has 3 times the number of stamps that Doris does, . Since Jane has 7 stamps more than Doris does, . We have more variables than equations, so these two equations cannot be solved for all the variables. We should keep this in mind while looking at the statements.

Let's consider statement I. We know that and . Let's see if it must be true that after each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice has more stamps than Jane. If , then , and . After each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice has stamps, Doris has stamps, and Jane has stamps. In this case, where Alice has 7 stamps and Jane has 12 stamps, it is not true that Alice has more stamps than Jane. Eliminate choices (C) and (E) which contain statement I.

Next, consider statement II. We saw in statement I that if before each person increases her number of stamps Doris has 1 stamp, then after each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice has 7 stamps, Doris has 5 stamps, and Jane has 12 stamps. So Jane has stamps more than Doris, and statement II, which says that Jane has 3 more stamps than Doris, is not true. Eliminate choice (D) which contains statement II.

We can see that since before each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Jane has 7 stamps more than Doris, after each of Jane and Doris increase her number of stamps by 4, Jane will still have 7 more stamps than Doris. Again, statement II is not true.

Now let's consider statement III. We know that and . If , then and . After each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice will have stamps and Doris will have stamps. After each person increases her number of stamps by 4, the total number of stamps that Alice and Doris will have is 7 + 5 = 12, which is a multiple of 4, since 12 = 3 4. If we let , then and . After each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice will have 6 + 4 = 10 stamps and Doris will have 2 + 4 = 6 stamps. After each person increases her number of stamps by 4, the total number of stamps that Alice and Doris will have is 10 + 6 = 16, which is a multiple of 4, since 16 = 4 4. If we select any other set of values for A, D, and J that are consistent with the question stem, we will find that the sum of the numbers of stamps that Alice and Doris have after each person increases her number of stamps by 4 is a multiple of 4. Statement III must be true. Choice (B), III only, is correct.

It can be shown algebraically that statement III must be true. Before each person increases her number of stamps by 4, Alice has 3D stamps and Doris has D stamps. After Alice increases her number of stamps by 4, she will have 3D + 4 stamps. After Doris increases her number of stamps by 4, she will have D + 4 stamps. The total number of stamps that Alice and Doris have after each person increases her number of stamps by 4 is . Since D is an integer, 4D is a multiple of 4. The integer 8 is a multiple of 4, since 8 = 2 4. Since 4D and 8 are both multiples of 4, 4D + 8 must be a multiple of 4 because the sum of two multiples of 4 must be a multiple of 4.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Alice has 3 times the number of stamps t that Doris does an [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 08:49
thevenus wrote:
Alice has 3 times the number of stamps that Doris does and Jane has 7 stamps more than Doris does. If Alice, Doris, and Jane each increase their number of stamps by 4, which of the following must be true after each person increases her number of stamps?

A.None
B.III only
C.I and III only
D.II and III only
E.I, II, and III

Let Alice, Doris and jane have A, D and J stamps initially.
We know that
A =3D
and
J=d+7

After addition of 4 stamps they'll have A+4, D+4, and J+4 stamps respectively.

Lets analyze each statements:
this can be written as
A+4 > J+4
=> 3D+4 > D+7+4
=>D >7/3
It may not be true for many values of D.. D could very well be equal to 1,2 etc for which D<7/3. Not correct.

this can be written as
J+4 = (D+4)+3
=> D+7+4 = D+4+3
Clealy not correct for any value of D.

(A+4)+(D+4) = 4k, where k is any integer
=> 3D+4+D+4 =4k
=> 4D+8 = 4K
=> 4(D+2) = 4K
or K = D+2 .. clearly possible for any value of D. Hence Correct.

Hence Ans B. Only iii is correct.

Hope it helps.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 07:39

A.None
B.III only
C.I and III only
D.II and III only
E.I, II, and III

Given that:
A=3D;
J=D+7;

After increase:
Alice: A=3D+4;
Jane: J=D+11;
Doris: D+4.

Analyze each option:
3D+4>D+11 --> D>7/3=3.5. Thus this statement will be true if D is more than or equal to 4. Since we don't know that, then this statement is not always true.

D+11=(D+4)+3. This is not true for ANY value of D.

The sum of the numbers of stamps that Alice and Doris have is (3D+4)+(D+4)=4D+8=4(D+2). So, this sum is a multiple of 4 for ANY value of D, which smeans that this statement is always true.

Answer: B (III only).

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 07:46
Bunnel,
I have a little confusion in understanding your explaination .The question asks after the increase in number by 4 by all people .So doris will be having a minimum for 4 stamps right?
So we know that D is >4 right? Then how come we can eliminate the first one? Please explain

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 09:16
skamal7 wrote:
Bunnel,
I have a little confusion in understanding your explaination .The question asks after the increase in number by 4 by all people .So doris will be having a minimum for 4 stamps right?
So we know that D is >4 right? Then how come we can eliminate the first one? Please explain

Doris will have more than or equal 4 stamps AFTER the increase but D is the number of stamps BEFORE the increase.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 22:38
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Alice has 3 times the number of stamps t that Doris does an   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 22:38

Alice has 3 times the number of stamps t that Doris does an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap