It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Along With Jobs, Laid-Off Lose Photos, Emails (Article)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Along With Jobs, Laid-Off Lose Photos, Emails (Article) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 05:57
Most of us going to school will have more advanced notice since we're resigning rather than getting laid off, but this was a good reminder to me of all the things on my work laptop - mostly email addresses and some personal files - I'll need to copy before my last day:

Quote:
Michele Wallace had worked for Medialink Worldwide Inc. for 18 years when the New York video-distribution company laid her off last May. When the company's information-technology staff quickly shut down her computer and her BlackBerry, the senior vice president of client services lost family photos and every personal and business contact on her cellphone and computer.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1241051 ... al_journal

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Along With Jobs, Laid-Off Lose Photos, Emails (Article) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 07:12
Good thing I have nothing I care about on my work comp. NOTHING.

"George is getting upset!"

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:02
The email addresses I can understand, but why would have your only copies of important photos on your company computer?

Anyways, every time I've been laid off the company has been really good about making the process easy. I can't understand why a company wouldn't let you get some photos off your company computer. Maybe they're scared you'll steal or trash important documents?

RF

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Director
Director

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:34
I heard that a girl who worked at my company was fired and deleted everything she had on her computer before she left. Not sure why it all wasnt backed up on the server but it really was a pain in the toochus for everyone here when she left. Now we make the person leave almost right away and they are shadowed by HR when they gather their things from their office.

refurb wrote:
The email addresses I can understand, but why would have your only copies of important photos on your company computer?

Anyways, every time I've been laid off the company has been really good about making the process easy. I can't understand why a company wouldn't let you get some photos off your company computer. Maybe they're scared you'll steal or trash important documents?

RF

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 09:53
We didn't really lay people off in my office. But when you quit, it's up to you to clear off your laptop. If you don't, then it's fair game for the IT people to see...the few times that folks have been fired, they get a half day notice to gather their things...

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 10:02
Storing family photo on your work computer is a bad idea.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 25

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 14:17
At my company, from what I've seen, if they are planning on firing/laying you off, they ask you to bring your laptop with you to meet with HR. So I don't think you have a chance to back anything up. IT simultaneously removes you from the system.

However, I heard of a case where IT did it a week early and thus the person found out he was let go when they couldn't login.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27970 [0], given: 5052

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 15:33
Jerz wrote:
Most of us going to school will have more advanced notice since we're resigning rather than getting laid off, but this was a good reminder to me of all the things on my work laptop - mostly email addresses and some personal files - I'll need to copy before my last day:

Quote:
Michele Wallace had worked for Medialink Worldwide Inc. for 18 years when the New York video-distribution company laid her off last May. When the company's information-technology staff quickly shut down her computer and her BlackBerry, the senior vice president of client services lost family photos and every personal and business contact on her cellphone and computer.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1241051 ... al_journal

What if her Hard Drive crashed? Would have been the same outcome. not a good idea not to have the photos backed up or stored elsewhere.
At the same time, i can't think of anyone who does not have personal items on work computers (unless it is Chevron that has strict no-Internet access policy for some employees; then it is useless).

However, wiping out outlook and killing blackberry are simply ridiculous policies, esp. if you are an SVP.... dumb.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27970 [0], given: 5052

VP
VP

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2009, 05:56
bb wrote:
At the same time, i can't think of anyone who does not have personal items on work computers

Same here, I even know more than a few people I work with whose only computer is their work laptop. Probably not a smart idea, since I could see them in a similar situation as the woman in the article.

Re: Along With Jobs, Laid-Off Lose Photos, Emails (Article)   [#permalink] 01 May 2009, 05:56

Along With Jobs, Laid-Off Lose Photos, Emails (Article)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap