Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [28]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619005 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: The incidence in japan of most types of cancer is remarkably low compa [#permalink]
vaka wrote:
Agree with D. The safest deduction.

Vicks/Vaka

D is correct.

A B and C are obviously wrong.

Exy :

For E, a big clue is the "STRONG WORDING" of E.... any inference is just
a slight extension of the agruments conclusion...

E says too much..

1. How does one know what the immigrants diet was...were they eating fast food /snacks left right and center...

2. How can we say that fat causes cancer. Let us remember not to influence our choice by our own experience (easier said that done)

D goes a little further in that it does not try to very specific.. it leaves room for other causes...it just rules out one.

Vicks :

As to vicks comment, even D brings info outside the argument.

With E, in fact, DIET is mentioned in the argument. so one might be tempted to select E, which is what i did.

thanks
praetorian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: The incidence in japan of most types of cancer is remarkably low compa [#permalink]
We can be sure about D because – If Japanese would have been protected by some genetic traits then immigrant Japanese would not have suffered in North America.
However about B- stress, diet, or anything else can be the cause of cancer in North America.
Hope that helped to clarify!
Sorry for my grammatical errors!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
its D because there is nothing given in the passage regarding Stress. The only thing mentioned is the diet. So basically you cannot select B as Japan too has a modern lifestyle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Already disccused at the below thread:
cr-cancer-2636.html
I did this by POE
The incidence in japan of most types of cancer is remarkably low compared to that in North America , especially considering that japan has a modern life style, industrial pollution included. The cancer rates, however, for japanese people who immigrate to north america and adopt the diet of north americans approximate the higher cancer rates prevalent in north america

If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?
A. the greater the level of industrial pollution in a country, the higher that country's cancer rate will tend to be.
the argument
though there is no info but close enough lets park it for a while B. the stress of life in north american is greater than that of life in japan and predisposes to cancer.
there can be reasons other than stress : we do not know and hence out of scope
C. the staple foods of the japanese diet contain elements that cure cancer.
though there is no info but close enough lets park it for a while
D. the relatively low rate of cancer among people in japan does not result from a high frequency of a protective genetic trait among japanese people
E. The higher cancer rates of japanese immigrants to north america are cused by fats in the north american diet.
again lets not mix our impression about or general perception about American food with facts given in the question . Diet could also mean a change in eating habits ....
I am torn between B and D. Can someone please help why and how to negate B?

now left with B C D
If B were correct then by the same logic C should also be correct . Hence we are left with D ..

Alternatively
we do not have info about the lifestyle in N america .
We do not have any info about food in N America

but we know that if a person moves from Japan to America then the probaility is high leaves me with a conclusion that Japanese genetically are not immuned to cancer.. I do not know whether it is their diet or the lifestyle or the pollution levels as we donot have info about N America

regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Already disccused at the below thread:
cr-cancer-2636.html

The incidence in japan of most types of cancer is remarkably low compared to that in North America , especially considering that japan has a modern life style, industrial pollution included. The cancer rates, however, for japanese people who immigrate to north america and adopt the diet of north americans approximate the higher cancer rates prevalent in north america

If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?
A. the greater the level of industrial pollution in a country, the higher that country's cancer rate will tend to be.
B. the stress of life in north american is greater than that of life in japan and predisposes to cancer.
C. the staple foods of the japanese diet contain elements that cure cancer.
D. the relatively low rate of cancer among people in japan does not result from a high frequency of a protective genetic trait among japanese people
E. The higher cancer rates of japanese immigrants to north america are cused by fats in the north american diet.

I am torn between B and D. Can someone please help why and how to negate B?

straight D.
it is not the genetics that is responsible for low rate of cancer.
A - no, as we are told that in Japan pollution exists as well
B - stress is not discussed here. it might be true, but might not. 2 possible outcomes. no
C - we can't know for sure whether the food cures cancer. what if the food in NA gets you cancer? and by not eating it, you don't have cancer. if such, then C doesn't work.
D - aha, so it's not genetics that help japanese people.
E - it says that japanese people got cancer because of the fats - but what if it's not fats that gave those people cancer? :)

D it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
E
Short-listed D and E
Assumption negation - E stands, D doesn't
Experts, please advise.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rezwan001 wrote:
E
Short-listed D and E
Assumption negation - E stands, D doesn't
Experts, please advise.

This is not an assumption type question. This an inference type - so use of negation technique won't be useful.

D is correct. The only problem with E is the reference of fats, otherwise E would also be an inference.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts