Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [98]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [111]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [22]
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a rec [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vikram4689 wrote:
Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally under way, many economists say that without a large amount of spending the recovery might not last.

(A) have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally

(B) raised hopes for there being a recovery finally

(C) had raised hopes for a recovery finally being

(D) has raised hopes that a recovery is finally

(E) raised hopes for a recovery finally

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "surge" with the plural verb "have raised". Further, Option A uses the passive voice construction "there is a recovery", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "raised" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the word "being", rendering it passive and awkward; remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had raised" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Further, Option C incorrectly uses the word "being", rendering it passive and awkward; remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "surge" with the singular verb "has raised". Further, Option D correctly refers to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present with the present perfect tense verb "has raised". Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "raised" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of "Being" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a rec [#permalink]
Could somebody explain me why E is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that E is a awkward construction but is grammatically correct? :?:

but I always believed that a simple past is always preferred on the GMAT. :roll:

It is so difficult to remember rules for different words, eg for hope in this case. :shock:

could you please generalize the solution.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sachindia wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that E is a awkward construction but is grammatically correct? :?:

but I always believed that a simple past is always preferred on the GMAT. :roll:

It is so difficult to remember rules for different words, eg for hope in this case. :shock:

could you please generalize the solution.

1) Answer choice (E) is definitely awkward. Whether it is grammatically correct is highly doubtful, but I suppose debatable. In general, something that is a correct answer on GMAT SC is nowhere close to debatable ----- it is grammatically correct beyond a shadow of a doubt.

2) The GMAT uses several tenses --- present perfect, past perfect, past progressing, etc. etc. You need to know them all. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/

3) Yes, it is hard to remember the rules in the abstract, especially if English is not your first language. There is no substitute for reading. If you want to improve your general understanding of all the idiomatic rules, read high-level English every day. The NYT, the WSJ, the Economist magazine are all excellent choices --- and all of them contain info that will be highly relevant to you once you have your MBA!

4) Generalize? I have no idea what you mean. I did give you some general rules about verb and about use the word "hope." What further generalizations would you like to see? In many ways, there are no generalizations about the idioms: you just have to learn English idioms well. The MGMAT Volume 8 book on SC has a excellent chapter on Idioms. That would be a wonderful starting point.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am confused that why the OG said there is ...finally underway is awkward and wordy. what does it mean?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [11]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lalalulala wrote:
I am confused that why the OG said there is ...finally underway is awkward and wordy. what does it mean?

Hi lalalulala.

First of all, welcome to Gmatclub :)

IMO, there are two problem with the clause: "there is a recovery finally underway"

(1) "finally underway" is adjective ==> modifies "a recovery" ==> we hardly put an adjective after noun in the "there is/are.." clause.
For example:
There is a red apple ==> Correct
There is an apple red ==> Wrong.

(2) Hopes that there is a recovery ..... ==> wrong meaning.
You say "there is X" ==> you mean X is "real". For example: There is an apple on the table. (You physically see the apple on the table)
This question, however, does not mention a recovery is ACTUALLY underway. The sentence just says "hope". You can't say "there is a recovery"
The correct syntax is: hopes that X in underway.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have a question:in the sentence" The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding ever since." Why the "has been expanding ever since" cannot be replaced by "as expanded" ?Are there any differences between those two phrases?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
yhggg wrote:
I have a question:in the sentence" The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding ever since." Why the "has been expanding ever since" cannot be replaced by "as expanded" ?Are there any differences between those two phrases?

Dear yhggg,

Good question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

has expanded --- past perfect: process in the past, somehow not fully ended and therefore still either continuing or having implications in the present.

has been expanding ---- past perfect progressive --- this has all the implications of the past perfect, but it emphasizes the continuous ongoing activity.

See these links:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/

It's not a huge difference between these, but since we want to emphasize that, yes, the expansion of the universe has been in action continuously, without cease, since the Big Bang, then the past perfect progressive is slightly preferable.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I have doubt in following question:

Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally under way, many economists say that without a large amount of spending the recovery might not last.
(A) have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally
(B) raised hopes for there being a recovery finally
(C) had raised hopes for a recovery finally being
(D) has raised hopes that a recovery is finally
(E) raised hopes for a recovery finally

Step 1: Meaning- It shows contrast that Surge in retail sales has raised hopes for final recovery but many economists say that it may not last withought spending a large amount.

Step 2:
C1: Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes - Present Perfect Tense
C2: that there is a recovery finally under way- Simple Present Tense
C3: many economists say - Simple Present tense
C4: that without a large amount of spending the recovery might not last.- don't know Tense

Step 3: POE
C1: Subject is Singular, so A should be eliminated.
Time frame is not given, so past tense will not be used. so B and E should be eliminated.
Past Perfect Tense is also wrong, as only one sentence is used. so C should be eliminated.
In D: C1 and C2: satisfy the Subject Verb pair.

My doubt is: What is the difference between May and Might? Is Might a past tense of May? Can we use may instead of might in above sentence?

Thanks,
Mugdha.

Originally posted by PiyuMu on 05 Sep 2013, 16:12.
Last edited by Narenn on 08 Sep 2013, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Merged in similar topic :- 1) Please post the topic in relevant forum i.e. SC question should be posted in SC Forum and not in General Verbal Forum. 2) Search the forum once before posting a new question. Help us fight with Spam
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM