Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31921 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in Septemb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
HI Experts/ chetan2u,

Opted for correct Option but I want to ask one thing.
Can we in this option we are paralleling Increase and foreshadow ....??

Please assist.

Hi Prakhar,
No it is not increase and foreshadow which are parallel..

usage of INCREASE in 'the increase is NOUN, so you cannot parallel it with a VERB, FORESHADOW...
NOW , what are the items which are parallel...
First always look at the verb..
the increase RESULTED ..... and DID not necessarily....

so parallelism is at the verbs 'resulted' and 'did'..
let me write the sentence..
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and the increase did not necessarily foreshadow a resurgence of inflation
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31921 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in Septemb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
HI Experts/ chetan2u,

Opted for correct Option but I want to ask one thing.
Can we in this option we are paralleling Increase and foreshadow ....??

Please assist.

Hi Prakhar,
No it is not increase and foreshadow which are parallel..

usage of INCREASE in 'the increase is NOUN, so you cannot parallel it with a VERB, FORESHADOW...
NOW , what are the items which are parallel...
First always look at the verb..
the increase RESULTED ..... and DID not necessarily....

so parallelism is at the verbs 'resulted' and 'did'..
let me write the sentence..
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and the increase did not necessarily foreshadow a resurgence of inflation

Hi Chetan2u,
Can u please explain why is B wrong?
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and not necessarily that it foreshadowed a resurgence of inflation.
Here, it refers to increase.

hi..

The problem with it is that it does not make sense and IT does not refer back correctly to anything..

let me try and parallel the two parts of the sentence on EITHER side of AND..

1) Parallel the THAT
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and analysts said not necessarily that it foreshadowed a resurgence of inflation...
what is IT here??
2) parallel the portion after INCREASE..
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and the increase not necessarily that it foreshadowed a resurgence of inflation...
Does it make sense..NO
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
spider wrote:
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be a resurgence of inflation.

A. factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be

B. factors and not necessarily that it foreshadowed

C. factors and did not necessarily foreshadow

D. factors, while not necessarily a foreshadowing of

E. factors, while it did not necessarily foreshadow that there would be

This question is based on Construction and Parallelism.

The latter part of the sentence gives us two pieces of information about the increase –
1. that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors
2. that the increase did not necessarily foreshadow that there would be a resurgence of inflation
These two pieces of information should be structured similarly.

Option A lacks parallelism. The first piece of information is in the form of a clause and so must be the second. However, in Option A, the second part has a participle "foreshadowing". So, Option A can be eliminated.

In Option B, the adverbs ‘not necessarily’ are misplaced. There is no verb that these adverbs can logically modify. They would have to relate back to the verb ‘said’, in which case, the sentence would mean that the analysts said not necessarily that…… This makes it an illogical sentence, so, option B can be eliminated.

Option C maintains parallelism in the way the two pieces of information are stated –
the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and did not necessarily foreshadow
Both the pieces of information are in the form of an independent clause. So, Option C is the appropriate choice.

Option D changes the second clause into a participle modifier, the subject of which is not clear. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E is wordy. It also contains the transition word ‘while, which coveys a contrast that is not implied in the sentence. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, C is the best option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be a resurgence of inflation.

Test Point: Parallelism & Scentence Structure

A. factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be ("resulted from..." and "...foreshadowing“ does not constitute a proper parallelism)

B. factors and not necessarily that it foreshadowed (broken parallelism. "resulted from...” and ” not necessarily that...“

C. factors and did not necessarily foreshadow

D. factors, while not necessarily a foreshadowing of (”While not...” is a subordinate clause which cannot be complete scentence, it is conveying a contrast which makes the scentence awkward)

E. factors, while it did not necessarily foreshadow that there would be (Same reason as D)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts