It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 00:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:25) correct 43% (00:28) wrong based on 330 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime and that book is widely considered a masterpiece.

(A) lifetime and that book
(B) lifetime and it
(C) lifetime, that book
(D) lifetime; it
(E) lifetime; that book
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mikemcgarry on 27 Oct 2017, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
OA added

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 0

Re: Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
prasun84 wrote:
Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime and that book is widely considered a masterpiece.

(A)lifetime and that book
(B)lifetime and it
(C)lifetime, that book
(D)lifetime; it
(E)lifetime; that book

Okie, this qtn tests your know how about usage of personal pronouns and demonstrative pronoun

rem demonstrative pronouns refer to the "copy" of the antecedent and not exactly the same antecedent

Also, dem pronouns are more of adj than noun

Usage of personal pronozn is done when we refer the same antecedent

This kills all options of "That"

B and D left

semicolon usage

Independent clause 1; Independent clause 2 ( with IC1 related to IC2)

D meets this format and expresses idea succintly

Choose D

( And -is preferred when we have different item in the second part and hence "and" is a part of all the popular idioms such as Distinguish between X and Y, Betwen X and Y, Connection between X and Y, Both X and Y)

Last edited by iamcste on 04 Dec 2008, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 03:21
prasun84 wrote:

(B)lifetime and it
(C)lifetime, that book
(D)lifetime; it
(E)lifetime; that book

that book is ambigous.. so out of b & D, D is better as B makes it two different things..
IMO D.. what is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 04:29
I will go with C.

The sentence begins with "although" and using a semicolon or and is incorrect.

Please post OA when appropriate.
iamcste wrote:
Independent clause 1; Independent clause 2 ( with IC1 related to IC2)

Clause beginning with Although is not independent clause.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 05:10
I have gone through the comments

I do agree that when we start with "Although" we already have one connector and hence we do not need a semi colon.

However, usage of that as a modifier as well as a demonstrative pronoun is incorrect in C

why??

Modifier

, that-That always is used as a restrictive modifier and comma is only used in case of non -restrictive clauses

Even if we used which, thats incorrect, as it would modify "life time"

that-demonstrative pronoun always refers to the copy of the antecedent and not the actual antecedent. here, we referring to the same book ( meaning the same stuff)

so, in short lets see the trade -off

C -2 issues

D-1 issue of connector

As per ideal ans would be "Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime, the book is widely considered a masterpiece" or "Reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime; the book is widely considered a masterpiece"

Okie, in such cases, best is to learn concepts and move.

So, as per tradeoff, D wins but I would not be surprised to see C as the answer as too

I would not expect such issues in Mnahattan qtns, in particular. However, there are exceptions to all.

Even GMATPrep qtns show such issues sometime

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 07:01
iamcste wrote:

, that-That always is used as a restrictive modifier and comma is only used in case of non -restrictive clauses

that-demonstrative pronoun always refers to the copy of the antecedent and not the actual antecedent. here, we referring to the same book ( meaning the same stuff)

Iamcste, I agree with what you wrote about use of "that".

I am not sure if I am correct here but here's what I think about use of "that" in this sentence

There is one more rule that is followed on GMAT i.e. the restrictive or non-restrictive modifiers must follow the noun just preceding them.
In case of this sentence, "that" is following "lifetime", another noun.

Though the following makes a weird sentence overall , it depicts correct use of that as restrictive modifier.

[Although] reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book (that is widely considered a masterpiece) in her lifetime.

I may be completely wrong though.

And I completely agree with you that understanding the concept, rather an answer should be the best strategy for such questions.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
iamcste wrote:

Iamcste, I agree with what you wrote about use of "that".

I am not sure if I am correct here but here's what I think about use of "that" in this sentence

There is one more rule that is followed on GMAT i.e. the restrictive or non-restrictive modifiers must follow the noun just preceding them.
In case of this sentence, "that" is following "lifetime", another noun.

Though the following makes a weird sentence overall , it depicts correct use of that as restrictive modifier.

[Although] reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book (that is widely considered a masterpiece) in her lifetime.

I may be completely wrong though.

And I completely agree with you that understanding the concept, rather an answer should be the best strategy for such questions.

comma that or ", that" -is an incorrect modifier

comma is used only for non restrictive modifiers like which ( and when "who" is used as a non restrictive modifier)

"that" is a restrictive modifier so no comma

Also, ignoring the comma, as per your, if it modifies "lifttime" so is "lifetime book" considered a masterpiece. Its just the book

so , i think both C and D have their own issues..

so lets put it C/D and move along

But, we had a good revision of modifiers and pronoun

also, if you get a chance to read MG SC 3 on demonstrative pronoun and modifiers , you can understand how Just as "that" is used incorrectly here as a modifier so is "that" incorrectly as a demonstrative pronoun too

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
good discussion guys....OA/OE time..
OA: C
OE:

The initial connecting word "although" indicates a change of direction will occur later in the sentence, but the subsequent connecting word "and" incorrectly allows the sentence to continue in the same direction instead of introducing a contrast.

(A) This choice is incorrect because it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice also uses the incorrect connecting word "and" when the initial "although" indicates a change of direction is necessary. In addition, "it" has an unclear antecedent; it could be referring back to "book" or "lifetime."

(C) CORRECT. This choice correctly removes the connecting word "and," enabling the change of direction indicated by "although" to take place successfully.

(D) This choice uses a semicolon incorrectly. Semicolons require each clause before and after the semicolon to be complete sentences, and here "Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime" is not a complete sentence. In addition, "it" has an unclear antecedent; it could be referring back to "book" or "lifetime."

(E) This choice uses a semicolon incorrectly. Semicolons require each clause before and after the semicolon to be complete sentences, and here "Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime" is not a complete sentence.

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1631 [0], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2013, 15:30
prasun84 wrote:

(B)lifetime and it
(C)lifetime, that book
(D)lifetime; it
(E)lifetime; that book

HERE IS OE

The initial connecting word "although" indicates a change of direction will occur later in the sentence, but the subsequent connecting word "and" incorrectly allows the sentence to continue in the same direction instead of introducing a contrast.

(B) This choice also uses the incorrect connecting word "and" when the initial "although" indicates a change of direction is necessary. In addition, "it" has an unclear antecedent; it could be referring back to "book" or "lifetime."

(C) CORRECT. This choice correctly removes the connecting word "and," enabling the change of direction indicated by "although" to take place successfully.

(D) This choice uses a semicolon incorrectly. Semicolons require each clause before and after the semicolon to be complete sentences, and here "Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime" is not a complete sentence. In addition, "it" has an unclear antecedent; it could be referring back to "book" or "lifetime."

(E) This choice uses a semicolon incorrectly. Semicolons require each clause before and after the semicolon to be complete sentences, and here "Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime" is not a complete sentence.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1631 [0], given: 197

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 04:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 92

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 04:44
Thank you for your explanation on semi-colons :)

prasun84 wrote:
good discussion guys....OA/OE time..
OA: C
OE:

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 92

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 143

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 04:02
"although " introduces dependent clause hence comma is required and not the semicolon as in D and E.

hence C is the answer

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 143

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 23:24
Although indicates contrast so use of "and" is incorrect in this case. Also, use of semi-colon is incorrect as first part is not independent sentences. Use of "it" in D is ambiguous. Hence C, which corrects all above issues.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 01:13
IMO C .
As its a case of subordinating clause , so clause beginning with that has to modify the book present in sentence beginning with Although.
Option A is wrong because wrong usage of and.
Option B is wrong again for the same reason and the use of it.
Option D wrong usage of semicolon.
Option E wrong usage of semicolon.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 02:05
I am still confused about the use of "that" in C because of 2 reasons.
1)"lifetime" is the closest word to "that", isn't it a problem?
2)In MGMAT book, I remember something like "that" should only be used as a connecting word such as the person that wears sunglasses, the book that has a nice cover etc. Here it is used differently. Do I remember wrong or can we make some exceptions to this?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 13:03
Here we have two independent clauses:

1) reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime;

and

2) that book is widely considered a masterpiece.

Two independent clauses must be connected by 1 and only 1 connector.

"Although" appears in the non-underlined part of the sentence, so that's the only connector that we're allowed to use.

(A) and (B) both have "and", a second connector. Eliminate (A) and (B).

(D) and (E) both have a semicolon. Semicolons can precede a connector, but rarely, if ever, follow an introductory clause that begins with a connector. Elminate (D) and (E).

Only (C) has no connector issues: choose (C).

In this question we need "that book" because "it" would properly refer to "her lifetime", not the "one book" - another reason to eliminate (B) and (D).

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 188

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 04:05
Hello mikemcgarry

Could you please clarify a little on the use of that?
If not in this context is it possible, for that to come after a comma?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8791 [0], given: 106

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 10:20
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hello mikemcgarry

Could you please clarify a little on the use of that?
If not in this context is it possible, for that to come after a comma?

Dear Prashant10692,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

One of the most difficult words in the English language for non-natives to understand is the word "that," because it has several different meanings.

The word "that" can be used as:
1) a demonstrative adjective
2) a demonstrative pronoun
3) a a subordinate conjunction
4) a relative pronoun
These four are explained in this blog:
GMAT Sentence Correction: The Many Uses of ‘That’

The rule with which you may be familiar--use a comma before "which" but not before "that"--is not a black & white rule, because it has exceptions. More importantly, this rule is only relevant to use #4 of the word "that," and is 100% irrelevant to uses #1-3. BTW, the use of comma vs. no comma has everything to do with the logic of the modifier. See:
That vs. Which on the GMAT
GMAT Grammar: Vital Noun Modifiers

In this SC problem, the OA (C) uses the word "that" as a demonstrative adjective, use #1, so whether a comma precedes it is 100% irrelevant.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8791 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 11:42
Thank you so much Mike.
I am better able to understand its use now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 05:10
anairamitch1804 wrote:
Here we have two independent clauses:

1) reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime;

and

2) that book is widely considered a masterpiece.

Two independent clauses must be connected by 1 and only 1 connector.

"Although" appears in the non-underlined part of the sentence, so that's the only connector that we're allowed to use.

(A) and (B) both have "and", a second connector. Eliminate (A) and (B).

(D) and (E) both have a semicolon. Semicolons can precede a connector, but rarely, if ever, follow an introductory clause that begins with a connector. Elminate (D) and (E).

Only (C) has no connector issues: choose (C).

In this question we need "that book" because "it" would properly refer to "her lifetime", not the "one book" - another reason to eliminate (B) and (D).

How is below clause starting with 'although' an independent clause.

"Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in her lifetime"

pls help

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Re: Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 05:10

Although reclusive author Harper Lee wrote just one book in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap