Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [41]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
Re: Although the first humans came to Australia 56,000 y [#permalink]
Why B is the right answer and not A?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Kudos
hi Gmatised ,
I will try to explain.
Although the first humans came to Australia 56,000 years ago and undoubtedly brought new diseases with them, human-borne diseases probably did not cause the mass extinction of large land animals and birds that took place over the following I0,000 years. After all, more than 55 different species disappeared at about the same time, andno one disease, however virulent, could be fatal to animals across that many different species
Quote:
(A) Even though high-interest rates can lead to
an economic downturn, high-interest rates probably did not cause the current economic downturn. It is true that rates have been on the rise, but high interest rates are not always economically harmful.

Here in this option it was mentioned that high interest rates are not always economically harmful.It means there is always a possibility of being harmful.highlighted part of the argument is strong and telling that no one disease, however virulent, could be fatal to animals across that many different species.Means the Answer must also be strong (No other possibilities.In this case.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
AshutoshB wrote:
Although the first humans came to Australia 56,000 years ago and undoubtedly brought new diseases with them, human-borne diseases probably did not cause the mass extinction of large land animals and birds that took place over the following I0,000 years. After all, more than 55 different species disappeared at about the same time, and no one disease, however virulent, could be fatal to animals across that many different species
Which one of the following arguments exhibits flawed reasoning that is most parallel to that in the argument above?

(A)  Even though high-interest rates can lead to
an economic downturn, high-interest rates probably did not cause the current economic downturn. It is true that rates have been on the rise, but high interest rates are not always economically harmful.

(B)  Even though I can fix some things and you can fix some things, the two of us will be unable to repair our apartment without outside help. The apartment has both a broken window and a broken bedroom door, and neither of us is able to fix both doors and windows. 

(C)  Even though Lena, Jen, and Mark would like to go out to dinner together after the movie tonight, they will probably go straight home after the show. Of the five restaurants that are in the immediate vicinity of the theater, there is not a single one that all three of them like. 

(D)  Even though this painting is highly regarded by critics, it cannot legitimately be deemed great art. Most art that was produced in the last hundred years is not great art, and this painting, beautiful though it is, was probably painted only 40 years ago. 

(E)  Even though the influenza vaccine does not always prevent influenza, it sometimes reduces the severity of its symptoms. Therefore it is incorrect to say that some people who receive the vaccine derive no benefit from it. 

LSAT

This one cant be a 700 level question.. its way beyond 800.

I think i would just pass this question.. and not waste a lot of time if such question appear during the test.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts