GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 08:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:27) correct 30% (01:32) wrong based on 184 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classical, folk, jazz, rock, and country - over the course of lifetime, the type of music we loved as adolescents will always be our favorite.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A. Some people who are exposed to folk music only late in life learn to enjoy it.
B. Some people who love rock as adolescents come to prefer classical music later in life.
C. Those who are exposed to jazz only as children never learn to appreciate it.
D. Those who enjoy country music as adolescents always favor it over other types of music.
E. Some people who are exposed to classical music as adolescents never learn to enjoy it.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 09:01
DharLog wrote:
Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classical, folk, jazz, rock, and country - over the course of lifetime, the type of music we loved as adolescents will always be our favorite.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A. Some people who are exposed to folk music only late in life learn to enjoy it.
B. Some people who love rock as adolescents come to prefer classical music later in life.
C. Those who are exposed to jazz only as children never learn to appreciate it.
D. Those who enjoy country music as adolescents always favor it over other types of music.
E. Some people who are exposed to classical music as adolescents never learn to enjoy it.

Answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors...

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 01:58

The key to solving this question is to analyze precisely whether the situations described match that mentioned in the initial statement. A weakener has to be relevant in a comparable situation.

A. Some people who are exposed to folk music only late in life learn to enjoy it. This tells us that the mentioned people enjoy it only after a few years after being first exposed to folk music. Therefore it isn't comparable with the situation mentioned in the initial statement.
B. Some people who love rock as adolescents come to prefer classical music later in life. This looks good. This answers has the same strong word "love" and it tells us that despite some adolescents loved rock they liked classical music better as they grew up. This is a clear weakener of the initial statement. This is the correct answer.
C. Those who are exposed to jazz only as children never learn to appreciate it. Kids aren't equal to adoloscents. Therefore this information is limited in usefulness. We can't conclude anything about the statement we want to weaken. Hence, this answer is incorrect.
D. Those who enjoy country music as adolescents always favor it over other types of music. This is rephrases the initial statement and would hence function as strenghtener.
E. Some people who are exposed to classical music as adolescents never learn to enjoy it. This might looks like a contender but it actually isn't one. The initial statement talks about adolescents who already love a certain type of music. Therefore, information about adolescents who don't begin to enjoy certain music is out of scope. Thereby, we can preclude answer E.

Hope this helps :-)
Non-Human User
Re: Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 00:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2019, 00:06

Although we may be exposed to all the various types of music - classic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics