Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Always doubting my answers [#permalink]
Abdul29 wrote:
Hello guys, I'm pretty new here. This forum is really amazing and useful.

I'm taking the GMAT next month and currently doing CATs, the thing is, whenever I solve a quant question quick, I go over my answer again to double check because I always seem to overestimate the difficulty of some questions.

Which really frustrates me because my answer ends up being correct and I just wasted about 20 seconds going over my answer.

I'm afraid this would waste a lot of time on the real test and I end up killing a lot of time.

Any suggestions? Should I just trust my gut and pick answer choices right after solving the problem?

Posted from my mobile device

I had a similar problem. I think this could be due to two things - lack of confidence or out of habit. This practice is going to be detrimental to you on the real GMAT and you must work on getting rid of this habit or gain confidence. It is important to be present in the moment and focus on the current question on the GMAT. Make sure you are paying attention to every little minute detail in the questions and avoid repeating work. Analyze your careless errors after every mock test and come up with ways to eliminate them. Track similar mistakes. For instance - if you figure that you make careless errors of a type in which you don't pay attention to the fact if a given in the question is an integer or a real number. Going forward make sure that for every question that you attempt make sure that you take note of the numbers involved.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi. I am working in CAT and I do have a problem.
Whenever I have doubt between two answer choices, I always select a wrong answer, however in my Mind I am sure that the other one was right.
It is really frustrating.
Any help or recommendations?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Soli,

To start, you will likely receive more of a response if you start your own post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this old thread). From what you describe, it sounds as though you do not have a standard set of "steps" or strategies that you work through when answering certain types of GMAT questions (re: most Verbal questions and possibly DS questions in the Quant section). The act of "narrowing the answers down to 2 choices - and guessing" can be really useful when a question is difficult, but the more often you take that approach, the greater the likelihood that you will lose points in the long run (since probability dictates that you will likely get just 1/2 of those questions correct - and that could potentially be a LOT of missed points).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Soli,

I’m happy to provide some advice; however, I also would like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions, already asked, I can provide some further advice. In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Thanks for the Feedback
My target is +65o = Foster Full Time
I am not a native speaker, and I have been studying gmat for 2,3 month now.
I do pretty good in SC and Idioms. Just a few minutes ago, I did complete the idioms and empower CR set with the results of more than 85%. However I have a little problem with Modifiers.
In CR and RC my main problem is Assumption and Flaw questions, even in 700 level questions I easily narrow my answer choices down to 2, however I can't decide between those 2.
50% of the time I am wrong in choosing the correct answers.
Thank you.
My test is in 10 days at home tho :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Soli,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot