GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Am I ready to take my GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Am I ready to take my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 10:24
Hi

I am a little confused about whether I should book my date. If yes, how many day...

Following is my current standing

Feb 04 2019 Official Mock 1 750 Q51 V40
Feb 011 2019 Official Mock 2 760 Q50 V41
Feb 19 2019 MGMAT Mock 1 710 Q51 V36
Feb 19 2019 MGMAT Mock 2 720 Q48 V40
Feb 25 2019 MGMAT Mock 3 710 Q48 V38
Feb 25 2019 MGMAT Mock 4 710 Q47 V40

Accuracy in MGMAT mocks:
PS 71% DS 63% SC 70% CR 68% RC 71%

I am aiming for a score of 740+
Can an expert or maybe someone who is familiar with studying strategies guide me on following?

1. When should I book my date? (I don't have a deadline issue but don't want to stretch it further unnecessarily)
2. What should be my studying strategy from here on and what resources should I follow for the same?
3. Should I take more mocks? Left with 2 MGMATs
4. I took my GMAT last year as well and was again even last time performing consistently good on mocks, but ended up with a 610. I am just not able to able to overcome this fear of failing again. Maybe because people are saying GMAT has become tougher, has lengthier RCs, and has meaning based SCs etc. , I am feeling a bit nervous in booking the date. Please guide.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me in this situation.
(Please Note- Mocks were taken in home-environment; they were not paused at all; QA, VA, IR and AWA order was followed but IR and AWA were not attempted)

Thanks and Regards
Advik Aggarwal
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Am I ready to take my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 10:53
Hey advikaggarwal

I'm neither an expert nor someone with a good score.

Your scores look impressive for M-GMAT mocks. People with such scores have score north of 730 on Official GMAT. I'm in NO WAY meaning to demotivate you or scare you, but please take a look at my thread and see if anything resonates with you.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-dissappointing-630-need-expert-s-guidance-thanks-in-advance-288989.html

If any point seems to resonate with you, you may very well take the preventive action before you sit for the real GMAT. I'm posting this with the only intention; prevention is better than cure. It's better to weed off mistakes than to make them and repent later. Believe me, I know the psychological ordeal one has to go through if GMAT doesn't go as planned.

advikaggarwal wrote:
Hi

Maybe because people are saying GMAT has become tougher, has lengthier RCs, and has meaning based SCs etc. , I am feeling a bit nervous in booking the date. Please guide.

Regarding RCs: I don't think RCs have gotten any longer, in-fact I found them to be shorter. RCs were shorter in my GMAT Prep software too. I found RCs to be manageable(I got 95% accuracy in RC as per my ESR).

Regarding SCs: Yes, yes, yes. I found more SCs had some meaning game going on in them. In fact close to 80% of the SCs, even the 600-650 level ones, had some meaning issue going on. I completely didn't attack the SC from meaning angle and that led to a poor SC score. Only looking back after a couple of days, I realize how wrong I was. So please pay diligent attention to meaning while solving SCs.

Regarding CRs: CRs remained fairly the same. If there is a strategy, then CRs can be tamed.

More details on your GMAT readiness could be given by experts here!

If my post helped you in some way, my intention and purpose are served. Wish you all the best!

Cheers!

Cheers!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 13:54
Hi Advik,

To start, each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. By taking four CATs over the last week, there's a reasonable chance that you have experienced some 'burn out' - and that has led to some of the 'swings' in your Scores.

Assuming that you took each of these CATs in a realistic fashion, then you might have the necessary skills right now to hit your Score Goal, so you should schedule your GMAT as you see fit.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 21:21
advikaggarwal wrote:
4. I took my GMAT last year as well and was again even last time performing consistently good on mocks, but ended up with a 610. I am just not able to able to overcome this fear of failing again. Maybe because people are saying GMAT has become tougher, has lengthier RCs, and has meaning based SCs etc. , I am feeling a bit nervous in booking the date. Please guide.
Some people like the extra "push" that exam pressure brings, but others don't. I suggest that you not focus too much on your target score.

You've taken the GMAT once, and you're about to take it again. That is normal. A third attempt is also not something that your schools will worry about. The same thing goes for a fourth attempt. The only party worried about your score on this attempt is you. As long as the exam fees are not what you are worried about, there is nothing special about this attempt. All you can do is prepare as well as is practical, and then take the exam.

Don't worry about what people are saying about the difficulty of the exam. None of what you mentioned as changes in the GMAT is true. For example, the meaning in SC thing is at least ten years old (the GMAC announcement itself was late 2011, if I remember correctly).
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 08:41
HI advikaggarwal,

So your practice tests scores (especially on official mocks) are impressive. Were those practice exams fresh or did you have repeated questions? In any case, to provide more detailed advice, I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) Please describe how you have been studying. For how many hours a day study and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

2) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) Do you have any fresh official practice tests left or just MGMAT mocks?

Once I learn some more about you, I can provide some further advice.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Am I ready to take my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 10:13
Your scores look WONDERFUL. For the record, my MGMAT score was 100 lower than my actual.

My actual GMAT score is within the range of my GMAT tests scores of 700 (Exam 1 diagnostics) to 750 (Exam 4)

Quote:

On this point, assuming your scores are not because you are re-doing questions you have seen before, it sounds like a situation with getting used to the exam center. My friend took GMAT exam multiple times but always scored lower than her potential due to nervousness. Ironically, she performed best (got 730) when she took the test tired.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 20:05
Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for the support and help.

I took my GMAT and got a 690 (Q49,V34)

Though it's still below my target score but I definitely improved from a 610 to 690.

I am thinking to go for another shot in near future. :)

Thanks Again
Advik

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 20:40
advikcool wrote:
Hi Everyone

Though it's still below my target score but I definitely improved from a 610 to 690.

Thanks Again
Advik
That's a really good score! You'll find it much easier to take the exam again knowing that you already have a good score under your belt :)
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 16:44
Nice job! If you need any advice regarding a retake, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to help.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 05:24
advikcool wrote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks Again
Advik

Posted from my mobile device

I think that your results are vey good
I want go do it like you have done
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 06:58
If I were you I would really focus on verbal. You might want to purchase the ESR report so that you can see on which areas you're weaker.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Am I ready to take my GMAT?   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2019, 06:58

Am I ready to take my GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep