It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

amateur to Bschool search : need guidance

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 08:01
im amateur to the Bschool search!!!
im very confused as to apply for which schools in R2.
Again my most important query in this regard is how far does the profile and Work Experience matter!!!
I got a GMAT score of 740
WE:3.2+ years in software domain => 18months in telecom embedded software + 15 months in software IT.

Kindly help me out as to how to decide on schools .Im interested in consulting and economics .But as such i never wrked in these domains ,i mean im a techy right now.How does this matter.
Im interested in 1 year MBA ,its preferable but yes i want to dfinitely pply for good Bschools.
I explored in sites about Bschools ,the top Bschools like Kellog,GSB etc call for a 5.3+ experience .Hence could not think of applying,now im pretty muddled .Kindly guide me.

Can anyone gimme an idea about Asia pacific Bschools and European Bschools ?I am planning to apply for ISB and NUS .I came across Judge School of business,cambridge.
On a serious note ,i m least aware of the selection of Bschools according to my profile.Its like i cant apply for all the Bschools since my profile is from a techy background.Again does this really matter ?If anyone is aware kindly help me out .
How do we evaluate schools matching with our profile?
so many questions .....need answers :panel
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 08:22
I'd suggest:
1) posting your profile along with a line about your goals (ie why do you want an mba), which country you're from, where you did your undergrad and grades, in the Peer Review section. You're likely to get more responses there...
2) do the same in the Ask Accepted etc sections - always useful to hear what they have to say

I can't speak at all to the non-US schools but a few things:
- as far as I know, 1 year MBAs are recommended for those who want to stay in the same industry; it's a lot tougher to switch roles/industries as you have less time to network, don't get the benefit of the internship
- keep in mind that average work experience reported by schools is just that - they have people who worked longer than that, people who worked less. So just because you have less, doesn't mean don't apply.

hope this helps!
ac.

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 08:25
Well,admission depends on few things.GPA,GMAT,Essays,Work exp,Recos and Extra currs.

Your GMAT score does put u in a competitive position at most top schools.But again u r in a highly competitive pool(Indian/IT).

A strong GMAT score compensates a weak GPA.

Work exp matters a lot.It should include some leadership exp instead of just some tech skills.

Should be clearly able to express your thoughts in Essays.

You recos should backup your claims made in Essays and Resume.

Lastly some extracurrs such as working with a NGO.

I have no idea about European schools.But u can try your luck at top 10-25 schools in US.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 10:04
ac8706 wrote:
I'd suggest:
1) posting your profile along with a line about your goals (ie why do you want an mba), which country you're from, where you did your undergrad and grades, in the Peer Review section. You're likely to get more responses there...
2) do the same in the Ask Accepted etc sections - always useful to hear what they have to say

I can't speak at all to the non-US schools but a few things:
- as far as I know, 1 year MBAs are recommended for those who want to stay in the same industry; it's a lot tougher to switch roles/industries as you have less time to network, don't get the benefit of the internship
- keep in mind that average work experience reported by schools is just that - they have people who worked longer than that, people who worked less. So just because you have less, doesn't mean don't apply.

hope this helps!
ac.


oh ok !!now iget it Why WE is so high !!
anyways i will just explore more and post in with the complete details.thanks a tonne for the info
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 10:10
fall09 wrote:
Well,admission depends on few things.GPA,GMAT,Essays,Work exp,Recos and Extra currs.

Your GMAT score does put u in a competitive position at most top schools.But again u r in a highly competitive pool(Indian/IT).

A strong GMAT score compensates a weak GPA.

Work exp matters a lot.It should include some leadership exp instead of just some tech skills.

Should be clearly able to express your thoughts in Essays.

You recos should backup your claims made in Essays and Resume.

Lastly some extracurrs such as working with a NGO.

I have no idea about European schools.But u can try your luck at top 10-25 schools in US.

I get it now !!
but one query does a good GPA + good score have a benefit !!
But one thing is clear to that recos and applications matter a tonne.
thanks ,will get back to u with few more queries !!im still exploring about Bschools!!
one more thing how do rate the asian Bschools w.r.t others
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 523

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11
Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:21
What I believe is that good GPA + GMAT matters about 30%, and the rest of the package matters probably about 70%. Completely un-scientific and not corroborated by any real data, of course.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:37
spriya wrote:

but one query does a good GPA + good score have a benefit !!

one more thing how do rate the asian Bschools w.r.t others


Unless u r from IIT,it might not matter much.JMO.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 872

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 01:15
spriya wrote:
WE:3.2+ years in software domain => 18months in telecom embedded software + 15 months in software IT.



Just curious, how does one calculate 3.2 years of work experience? You have 3 years and 2.4 months? --> which means that you have 3 years, 2 months and 12 days? If you are counting that precisely, you must really want to get out of your job! How often do you recalculate? :)

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 07:40
ryguy904 wrote:
spriya wrote:
WE:3.2+ years in software domain => 18months in telecom embedded software + 15 months in software IT.



Just curious, how does one calculate 3.2 years of work experience? You have 3 years and 2.4 months? --> which means that you have 3 years, 2 months and 12 days? If you are counting that precisely, you must really want to get out of your job! How often do you recalculate? :)


good joke :lol: i mean 3more than years + 2 months experience :-D
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: amateur to Bschool search : need guidance   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2008, 07:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

amateur to Bschool search : need guidance

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.