It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27186 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:45
NY Times and USA Today have both posted interesting pieces on the Amazon and their work practices
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/techn ... place.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015 ... /31831119/

As someone living in Seattle and familiar with a few folks from Amazon (both present and former employees), I am surprised it has taken this long to surface. Pretty much everyone I talked to, commented that the hours are long, the comp is heavily stock-based, and growth is crazy but very competitive and often changing environment. Curious if anyone has a different perspective? Is this the ideal place for BSchool Grads? :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27186 [0], given: 5001

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 17:02
It was obviously a really interesting piece and good insight into the environment more and more white-collar workers are in. However, I've heard plenty of stories reflecting the other side. Many of my friends there love their work at Amazon and find the environment thrilling.

Mike
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 228 [1] , given: 158

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
We had an "Amazon Day" recently at my school and I have to say, everyone that was there loved working at Amazon. They did admit that some see the culture as adversarial, however they believed that it was this kind of culture that made it great. It's likely that in any company, career, or work environment that truly believes in meritocracy like I-banking or consulting, you'll probably see similar behavior. For example, although Bain has consistently won awards for being one of the best companies to work for, it has notoriously high turnover when compared to typical Fortune 500 companies but it's just a known factor going into an industry like management consulting not everyone will make it the 8-10 years it takes to make partner. But everyone enjoys their time there and they accomplish great things. I just think that a lot of people from the outside expect Amazon to be like the traditional big companies of the past or more like Google, but I think it's just a culture that squeezes and awards excellence. Even when you read the article, a lot of former Amazonians said that although work may have been intense, they thought it was a great experience.

Personally, I'd be excited to work there and have the opportunity to be pushed to my limit. I think I'd look back and be proud of my work.

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27186 [1] , given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 16:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks for sharing! Good luck with recruiting and internship search - I do hear Amazon is pretty competitive... though my latest contact has just left in lieu of another position with a smaller company (I have not asked about the pay for obvious reasons but next time I run into him, will ask).

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27186 [1] , given: 5001

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks bb !

By the way, just found this article regarding investment bankers and the way people view their work/life balance issue. http://qz.com/523077/an-open-letter-to-tormented-young-bankers-everywhere-stop-whining/

I have the same argument surrounding people who choose to work at Amazon.

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 45

Schools: Yale '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 09:01
I recently heard that Amazon is still recruiting full-time heavily until now for various LDPs, this despite having heavy on-campus recruiting back in Fall. I've heard yield has been especially bad. This is just hearsay from people who recruited/are recruiting there, but I'm guessing the article probably has done some damage to Amazon's attractiveness as an MBA employer.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 45

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 13:17
tinkered wrote:
I recently heard that Amazon is still recruiting full-time heavily until now for various LDPs, this despite having heavy on-campus recruiting back in Fall. I've heard yield has been especially bad. This is just hearsay from people who recruited/are recruiting there, but I'm guessing the article probably has done some damage to Amazon's attractiveness as an MBA employer.

I do not think it will do much damage though. It is still Amazon. And the fact that we have not heard the same bad things about other companies do not mean they do not have them. It took so long to hear from Amazon, so ....

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 537

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 17:59
Yeah, it seems like the Amazon buzz has mostly come and gone. In fact, it might even have helped them a bit. Seems like most business school graduates want to "punish" themselves and work in banking or consulting :)

Now amazon can include themselves in that group!

Mike
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.74
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 10:32
It would be great to hear from someone who has worked or interned at Amazon.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
I used to work at Amazon. There are those who love it (and end up staying there 5+ years or their entire careers), and those who are mortal and end up leaving after a few years for greener pastures. Pay is definitely dependent on RSU (which is very, very back-heavy), and base compensation is average at best unless you’re in Tech/AWS. Don't expect Facebook/Google/Microsoft perks or benefits. You will definitely be pushed to your limit, but you really do get to work on exciting projects. Everyone has their own tolerance levels, so just know what you’re getting yourself into before you join Amazon.

Experiences at Amazon are highly dependent on team and manager. If your manager is bad, you will be miserable. I guess this is true with any company, but it is exacerbated at Amazon because of the performance review/stack-ranking process. I had lots of friends who were in the LDP’s, and experiences vary. In my opinion the best roles at Amazon for post-MBA are in Ops/Supply Chain and Product Management. Retail roles are good if you’re interests are Retail or General Management, but hours will be long and stress will be high. I would not take a marketing role at Amazon – it’s not true marketing like P&G/CPG. But regardless of all the bad press, people will still flock to Amazon because, well, it’s Amazon.

Personally, I left Amazon because I got married and wanted to enjoy my marriage :)

Also don't forget that Washington doesn't have state income tax

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century?   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2017, 16:19

Amazon Expose - Sweat Shop of 21st Century?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap