It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ambassador Program: Cornell -- Hear from current students & alumni

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 158

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ambassador Program: Cornell -- Hear from current students & alumni [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 18:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aerien wrote:

Ambassador Questions

Social
• What opportunities are there for students to work on-campus or off-campus while in school?

The most common type of "on-campus" employment is being a teaching assistant for professors. Most professors that use teaching assistants will ask top performing students to be TA's for their course the following year. It depends on the course and the professor, but most times it just means taking attendance, grading, holding review sessions, and/or proctoring exams. It doesn't pay much, but for many people its also a sense of pride and so they also put it on their resume.

The only other type of "on-campus" employment I've seen is being a Residential Adviser (RA), working in Cornell Dining, Cornell Fitness Instructor/Monitor, or (in rare cases) a hired research assistant. Really, if there's a specific student position available around campus (which there are many) you can apply for it. Having or finding the time to actually work is the hardest part.

Off-campus, I guess you can really work anywhere around Ithaca. Once again, it depends on how much free time you're afforded, but by 2nd year spring semester, some people have so much free time that they find hourly jobs (I know of one MBA2 who started working at the car wash up the street :o )

Another potential source of income could be case competitions I guess. Some of them have great monetary prizes at the end and I've heard of some students that have gone case competition crazy :yikes . But I wouldn't recommend it because based on the expected returns and required effort, it's not worth doing a case competition only for the prize money. :lol:

I guess the last kind of "off-campus" employment would be potentially working for the company you interned at or the company you will work at. I have heard of and know of a few people who were able to arrange for paid work during the semester and/or over the breaks. It's completely individual and company dependent, but certainly possible. Just very rare because most people choose to spend their additional time in the second year to do the more social activities they overlooked in their first year or give back to the community by helping out the first years or organizing big events.

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ambassador Program: Cornell -- Hear from current students & alumni [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 19:00
aerien wrote:

Ambassador Questions

Social
• What is something not mentioned on the school’s website that an applicant should know?

I think most of what I've posted here isn't really mentioned on the school's website (which I have to admit probably needs some work :wink: ), but the one thing I will write here is that most Cornellians love the school and love to give back. And so I'd encourage you to reach out to any Cornellians/Johnsonians(?) that you know of or can find and ask them about their experience at the school. They will undoubtedly tell you the good and the bad, but I think you'll find that ultimately no one will have regretted their experience and that if they could they would do it all over again :-D

Feel free to post more questions that you may have about the school here, or PM me you don't feel comfortable doing so on this public forum.

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Re: Ambassador Program: Cornell -- Hear from current students & alumni   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2016, 19:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ]