It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which of the following statements is an assumption underlying the Critique’s argument?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 341

Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:38) correct 27% (01:53) wrong based on 202 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hello Everyone,

Here's a question from the e-GMAT bakery - Fresh and crispy :)

Looking forward to a healthy discussion :)

Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the requirement from all schools to provide video recordings of classroom sessions to the students. The costs implications to maintain such a facility is quite significant for the schools. On the other hand, the benefit is non-existent as can be seen from the fact that since the implementation of the plan, the difference in the test score of students in Benzaria and that of students in Karamal hasn’t come down even though Karamal hasn’t implemented this program.

Critique: I disagree. The implementation of the program in Benzaria has forced the government in Karamal to maintain better school standards in order to compete with Benzaria for federal government funds that are allocated on the basis of the average student test scores in the city.

Which of the following statements is an assumption underlying the Critique’s argument?

A. The requirement of recording classroom sessions have led the schools in Benzaria to hire better quality instructors.
B. Test scores are not the only way to compare student performance across different schools.
C. Student test scores in Benzaria cannot be increased significantly without the requirement on the schools to video record the classroom sessions
D. The better school standards in the city of Karamal have led to better test scores for its students
E. The student attendance in the classrooms in Benzaria hasn’t decreased after the introduction of the requirement to video record classroom sessions

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 341

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 05:57
the answer has to be D :The better school standards in the city of Karamal have led to better test scores for its students

for if u negate D then the argument of Critique falls apart
critique is saying that The implementation of the program in Benzaria has forced the government in Karamal to maintain better school standards in order to compete with Benzaria for federal government funds determined by the average student test scores in the city.----------->there by making an assumption that The better school standards in the city of Karamal have led to better test scores for its students

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 101

Re: Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 06:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Advisor: since the implementation of the plan, the difference in the test score of students in Benzaria and that of students in Karamal hasn’t come down even though Karamal hasn’t implemented this program, so the benefit of the program is non-existent and the government should discontinue the video recording program.

Critique: I disagree. The implementation of the program in Benzaria has forced the government in Karamal to maintain better school standards in order to compete with Benzaria for federal government funds that are allocated on the basis of the average student test scores in the city.

prethinking: critique disagree with the adviser because he/she thinks the video recording program in B was effective. and the reason for perceiving the same difference in the test score of students in B and those of students in K is another program that government in K implement in order to improve their student performance to compete with B for federal government funds that are allocated on the basis of the average student test scores in the city.

so, in the the critique argument, he/she believes that the better school standards in K improve the average scores of the students in K, that's why with improved performance of the student's in B the difference in the test score of students in Benzaria and that of students in Karamal hasn’t come down.

A. The requirement of recording classroom sessions have led the schools in Benzaria to hire better quality instructors.
B. Test scores are not the only way to compare student performance across different schools.
C. Student test scores in Benzaria cannot be increased significantly without the requirement on the schools to video record the classroom sessions.. might be true so not an assumption
D. The better school standards in the city of Karamal have led to better test scores for its students matches with our prethinking
E. The student attendance in the classrooms in Benzaria hasn’t decreased after the introduction of the requirement to video record classroom sessions ... out of scope

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 06:31
Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the requirement from all schools to provide video recordings of classroom sessions to the students. The costs implications to maintain such a facility is quite significant for the schools. On the other hand, the benefit is non-existent as can be seen from the fact that since the implementation of the plan, the difference in the test score of students in Benzaria and that of students in Karamal hasn’t come down even though Karamal hasn’t implemented this program.

The answer is option D. The better school standards in Karamal has led to no reduction in the student test scores gap between Benzaria and Karamal.

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 11:58
Pretty good job everyone :) I didn't think it was this easy :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 08:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Re: Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2017, 08:38

Advisor: The government of city of Benzaria should discontinue the req

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap