GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 01:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:52) correct 39% (02:05) wrong based on 149 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number of copies. He spent the first 45 minutes making copies at a constant rate on copier A, but copier A broke down before the task was completed. He then spent the next 30 minutes finishing the task on copier B, which also produced copies at a constant rate. How many total minutes would the task have taken had copier A not broken down?

(1) Copier A produced twice as many copies in its first 5 minutes of operation as copier B produced in its first 15 minutes.

(2) Copier B produces 10 copies per minute.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 03:45
Bunuel wrote:
An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number of copies. He spent the first 45 minutes making copies at a constant rate on copier A, but copier A broke down before the task was completed. He then spent the next 30 minutes finishing the task on copier B, which also produced copies at a constant rate. How many total minutes would the task have taken had copier A not broken down?

(1) Copier A produced twice as many copies in its first 5 minutes of operation as copier B produced in its first 15 minutes.

Say copier A produced 2X copies in 5 minutes
Copier B therefore produced X copies in 15 minutes
Copier B produced 2X copies in 30 minutes
therefore,
Copier A could have produced remaining copies in another 5 minutes
total time = 50 minutes

sufficient

Insufficient.

A
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Krannert '20
GMAT 1: 700 Q59 V34
GPA: 3.15
Re: An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 04:11
Answer A is correct.

Let rates be Ra and Rb of copying. we can get an equation of relation between of ra and rb from statement 1.

Now question is how much time needed for copying RA?
we have already got an equation 45 mints of ra and 30 mints of rb completes. if we substitute Rb from equation obtained from statement 1, we will get the time required for Ra to complete individually.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 06:19
Bunuel wrote:

I think answer should be D.

from the questions, we can find out the equation of completing the tasks when both the copiers are used.

as in 45/Ra + 30/Rb =1.

Now, statement 1 give a relation between Ra and Rb, so, on substituting Rb with the equivalent value of Ra, we can find out the value of Ra.

Statement 2 directly provides the value of Rb. on substituting Rb value in the above equation, we can find out the value of Ra. Sufficient.

Please correct me if I am missing anything.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 08:52
abhimahna wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

from the questions, we can find out the equation of completing the tasks when both the copiers are used.

as in 45/Ra + 30/Rb =1.

Now, statement 1 give a relation between Ra and Rb, so, on substituting Rb with the equivalent value of Ra, we can find out the value of Ra.

Statement 2 directly provides the value of Rb. on substituting Rb value in the above equation, we can find out the value of Ra. Sufficient.

I don't believe that B is sufficient as we do not know the number of copies which would be produced overall. Knowing that 300 copies were produced after A broke gives no information as to the rate that A was producing copies at beforehand.

Please press +1 Kudos if this post helps.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 12:55
I think that answer should be E considering wording of the first statement.
It says: Copier A produced twice as many copies in its first 5 minutes of operation as copier B produced in its first 15 minutes.
So, it can mean that we only know the rate at which these copiers works for the first 5/15 minutes respectively. The rate can change after the first printer has worked for 5 minutes.
So, either it is E, or question wording is a bit vague, or i overthink the issue:)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 12:59
Forzafonz wrote:
It says: Copier A produced twice as many copies in its first 5 minutes of operation as copier B produced in its first 15 minutes.
So, it can mean that we only know the rate at which these copiers works for the first 5/15 minutes respectively. The rate can change after first printer has worked for 5 minutes.
So, either it is E, or question wording is a bit vague, or i overthink the issue:)

The copiers were both specified as being constant rates in the original question stem.

Please press +1 Kudos if this post helps.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 14:07
DAllison2016 wrote:
Forzafonz wrote:
So, it can mean that we only know the rate at which these copiers works for the first 5/15 minutes respectively. The rate can change after first printer has worked for 5 minutes.

The copiers were both specified as being constant rates in the original question stem.

Yeah, indeed. My bad. The answer is totally A then..
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 14:21
Bunuel wrote:

Copier B produces x copies in 15 minutes and 2x copies in 30 mins.

Had the copier A not broken down, this 2x work would have been done by copier A in order to complete the task.

Copier A produces 2x copies in 5 minutes (given information). So had the copier A was working it would have taken 5 more minutes to complete the task. i.e. 50 minutes were taken .

Sufficient.

No relation between rate of copier A and B is given. Not sufficient.

A is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Krannert '20
GMAT 1: 700 Q59 V34
GPA: 3.15

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 22:12
abhimahna wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

as in 45/Ra + 30/Rb =1.

The relation should be 45*Ra + 30*Rb = total copies
since you don't know the number of total copies, just knowing Rb wont help you get the value of Ra
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:29
answer is A

if copier B produces y copies in 15 min.

rate of B=y/15

so rate of A=2y/5

total no of copies would be 20y produced by A and B

so Only A to produce 20y copies it would take 50 min which is the answer.

2)insuff no relation between A and B

ans-A
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 00:58
Bunuel wrote:

In 5 minutes A makes = 2x copies
In 45 minutes A will makes = 18x copies

In 15 minutes B makes = x copies
In 30 minutes b will make e= 2x copies

WORK IS FINISHED
Therefore total work that was remaining when A broke down was only 2x
We know that A completed 18x work in 45 minutes
therefore we know it would have completed 2x work in (45/18 )*2 = 5 minutes
SO A would have completed the task in 45 + 5 = 50 minutes
SUFFICIENT

B produced 30*10 = 300 copies
We do not know how many total copies are there to make:-
Therefore we cannot know how many copies A made:-
therefore we cannot know the rate of A.
therefore we cannot know total time that A would have taken
INSUFFICIENT
ANSWER IS A

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 02:51
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2018, 02:51

An employee at a company was given the task of making a large number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap