GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 10:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:47) correct 31% (01:53) wrong based on 265 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was happy with the price. I got a speedy sale and the cost of advertising was insignificant. I would advise you to avoid real estate agents.

Barbie: It is in the interest of the real estate agent to get me the best price for my property because he gets a commission based on the selling price. Therefore, when selling my house I will certainly use an agent rather than trying to sell the house by word of mouth, or by advertising in newspapers or on the internet.

Barbie's could strengthen her position by pointing out all of the following except

A. Houses of comparable value often obtain a lower price when sold on the internet
B. Very few houses are sold on the internet at the moment an so a valid comparison is difficult
C. The agent's service includes many add-on benefits in terms of legal fees, surveyor's reports and advice that are not available on internet sites
D. Some buyers pay the agent to find them a cheap house
E. The agent's commission is usually less than the difference between the internet price and the higher price the agent obtains for you

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Chat Moderator
B
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 10:38
The prompt is essentially asking for the answer choice that weakens/is irrelevant to the argument. Answer choice "D" is the only answer choice that either weakens the argument or is irrelevant to the argument.

...once and a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 13:52
Can anyone please explain to me why E is wrong?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 18:10
We have to search for a weakener. D is the only option against real estate agent. Answer D

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 18:14
As it is a weakerner question D fits as the answer well whereas E is a inference drawn on above passage. Which does not weaken the argument well than D, so Answer D.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 01:11
Why is not B?
Cannot make a valid comparision means that we dont know between agent and internet, which is better.
For D, Just some people pay agent to find a cheap house so that the remaining (many people) pay agent to find high price house.

Sent from my SM-N920C using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 02:38
[color=#0000ff]Reasoning applied is as given below. My guess is we would need to draw a consequence out of it and check why it would strengthen.
Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was happy with the price. I got a speedy sale and the cost of advertising was insignificant. I would advise you to avoid real estate agents.
[/color]

Barbie: It is in the interest of the real estate agent to get me the best price for my property because he gets a commission based on the selling price. Therefore, when selling my house I will certainly use an agent rather than trying to sell the house by word of mouth, or by advertising in newspapers or on the internet.

Barbie's could strengthen her position by pointing out all of the following except

A. Houses of comparable value often obtain a lower price when sold on the internet - Yes this would totally make her argument valid, she could show off!
B. Very few houses are sold on the internet at the moment an so a valid comparison is difficult Again, she could say its not comparable due to lack of good data
C. The agent's service includes many add-on benefits in terms of legal fees, surveyor's reports and advice that are not available on internet sites Very useful - she could tell others about it
D. Some buyers pay the agent to find them a cheap house So the agent can influence her or others to sell the homes cheaper,
not of the actual value, thereby cheating her

E. The agent's commission is usually less than the difference between the internet price and the higher price the agent obtains for you I put a number to it $400 - $500, so lower than that is the commission, say $80, but this would again mean anyone could hire them, so doesn't add to her reason of recommendation

Thus only D weakens her position. Hope this was helpful
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 03:36
Madhavi1990 wrote:
[color=#0000ff]Reasoning applied is as given below. My guess is we would need to draw a consequence out of it and check why it would strengthen.
[/color]

A. Houses of comparable value often obtain a lower price when sold on the internet - Yes this would totally make her argument valid, she could show off!
B. Very few houses are sold on the internet at the moment an so a valid comparison is difficult Again, she could say its not comparable due to lack of good data
C. The agent's service includes many add-on benefits in terms of legal fees, surveyor's reports and advice that are not available on internet sites Very useful - she could tell others about it
D. Some buyers pay the agent to find them a cheap house So the agent can influence her or others to sell the homes cheaper,

E. The agent's commission is usually less than the difference between the internet price and the higher price the agent obtains for you I put a number to it $400 - $500, so lower than that is the commission, say $80, but this would again mean anyone could hire them, so doesn't add to her reason of recommendation

Barbie said that agent would get commission from house price so that why agent have to cheat her to sell the house with a undervalue price while can sell it with a higher price?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 03:45
vbtbvmt wrote:
Madhavi1990 wrote:
[/color]

Barbie said that agent would get commission from house price so that why agent have to cheat her to sell the house with a undervalue price while can sell it with a higher price?

The agent is cheating her of the ACTUAL higher price, which she mentions in her argument. SO if osmeone pays him/ her in advance, for a cheaper buy he is already biased. Also, we have to remain in the context of the argument: agent would need to sell it cheaper to his initial buyer, so even if he sold Barbie's house at a higher price, his own buyer who has paid him earlier wouldn't be willing to pay it. Hence whether or not he actually does this activity, we don't know - but right now agent being biased makes him get a lower sale price for Barbie. Was this helpful?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 03:50
vbtbvmt wrote:
Madhavi1990 wrote:
[/color]

She mentions in her argument; saying that the internet might give her a lower price, which she doesn't want and would like to get an agent who would take commission but give her a better price - but if the agent is cheating her of the ACTUAL higher price by being paid off - thus the agent is already biased. Also, we have to remain in the context of the argument: agent would need to sell it cheaper to his initial buyer, so even if he sold Barbie's house at a higher price, his own buyer who has paid him earlier wouldn't be willing to pay that price. Even so, whether or not he actually does this activity, we don't know - but right now agent being biased makes him get a lower sale price for Barbie. Was this helpful?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 03:58
vbtbvmt wrote:
Why is not B?
Cannot make a valid comparision means that we dont know between agent and internet, which is better.
For D, Just some people pay agent to find a cheap house so that the remaining (many people) pay agent to find high price house.

She concludes by saying:
Therefore, when selling my house I will certainly use an agent rather than trying to sell the house by word of mouth, or by advertising in newspapers or on the internet.

So, as per B if Very few houses are sold on the internet it will strengthen Barbie's claim as there are less chances of your house being sold.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 09:05
Madhavi1990 wrote:
vbtbvmt wrote:
Madhavi1990 wrote:
[/color]

The agent is cheating her of the ACTUAL higher price, which she mentions in her argument. SO if osmeone pays him/ her in advance, for a cheaper buy he is already biased. Also, we have to remain in the context of the argument: agent would need to sell it cheaper to his initial buyer, so even if he sold Barbie's house at a higher price, his own buyer who has paid him earlier wouldn't be willing to pay it. Hence whether or not he actually does this activity, we don't know - but right now agent being biased makes him get a lower sale price for Barbie. Was this helpful?

I did not find any economic benefits from cheating sb to sell a house with cheap price.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:17
[quote="vbtbvmt"][quote="Madhavi1990"][quote="vbtbvmt"][quote="Madhavi1990"][color=#39b54a][color=#0000ff]Reasoning applied is as given below.
In the argument we are talking about agent with respect to seller side and internet.
So, point D can be taken as no effect also. Buyer asks agent to find cheap house is irrelevant for the argument case. In Strength Except cases you StrengthX cases, which includes Weaken and no effect. Read CR Bible book this type of cases would make sense to you after that.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 02:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 02:16

Anton: I sold my house on an internet site last year and was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap