Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Anybody start with a good verbal and a terrible math score? [#permalink]
My verbal was higher than my math as well not as drastic as yours, raw score wasn't too different(Q30/V34) but percentage it was a big difference(Q29%/V69%). But it will give me room to improve my score a lot on math which I think is good cause its the area you can really learn the most on.

Most of what I've read around here is that MGMAT books are the best to use for learning the GMAT Quant stuff. I've purchased them and have just started studying and so far they're great. Haven't taken any tests yet to see the resultts but definitely at least worth looking into. There are also a few good threads on here if you look for them(slyfox is one...I forget the other I found) with people who posted up "cheat sheets" of information they found helpful to have memorized. I've also downloaded those and started making flash cards for myself.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html?highlight=ml307

Nos

Originally posted by nosferatudracon on 28 Feb 2011, 11:59.
Last edited by nosferatudracon on 28 Feb 2011, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I read an article written by Ron Pruewal (MGMAT) about how a high verbal score can boost the overall score. I can't seem to find the exact article but a user on here (Entwistle) quoted the text in one of his posts:

With increasing number of non-native English speakers, who are much better at quant than at verbal, taking the test, the combination of good performance in Quant and average-sub average performance in Verbal has become common.
However, the combination of a good verbal score and average-sub average quant score is not very common. Thus, GMAT rewards such a combination with a higher total percentile.

As for effective quant books, I would have to echo the post above and recommend using the MGMAT books. I have used them as the basis for my preparation and have benefited from them greatly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely look into these MGMAT books. Has anyone else found the GMAT Problem Solving to be significantly harder/different from the SATs or is it just me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I took the SATs four years ago so I don't remember the math section that well. From what I understand, the SAT tested a single concept in each problem. On the GMAT, especially in 700+ questions, several concepts are tried up into a single problem. This is why you need to have a really solid grasp on the fundamentals. Also, the SAT quant section didn't have Data Sufficiency. I find this problem type to be the hardest for me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts