Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Anyone in the same boat? Seeking some advice / opinion [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Jay, I can understand why you feel like you might be in a pickle. However you would be nuts to apply to around 3, being an overrepresented Indian male.

Applying around 2 with a crappy GMAT is also bad. What I would recommend is that you apply round one next year. I realize that you are getting a little older, however I think that if you have greatly improved your profile by that point it will be worth it.

Also you can apply to some European schools where age is a little bit less stringent.

Realizing that you are probably not going to have a lot of leadership opportunities at work, find those same opportunities within a non-profit, or some cause you believe in.. leadership can be demonstrated a multitude of ways, and so your mission is to do that outside of work.

If there's any way you can do that inside of work, get any International work experience or anything, that would be wonderful as well but if not this is the next best thing.

I would focus the next year on six months of really differentiating your profile from other Indians, getting onto a board or doing some kind of major leadership outside of work. And of course getting the GMAT score up by whatever means necessary.

Whatever it is you're doing now do something else, the key is to switch it up to find what works for you not to keep expecting different results from the same thing. Get into a study group hire a tutor try some different techniques.

And it would probably be worthwhile for you to try a mock GRE on the MP website. Even though it probably would feel icky to have to start from scratch if you get better results with that particular test them doesn't really matter what you've done in the past.

And then 6 months from now, put all your focus and attention on doing the apps really well. I don't really think many people know what that really means. I have a recent blog post about that. This would involve giving out a deep dive into your own psyche, crafting really compelling stories creating a really easy to understand resume, stuff like that.

Get a letter of recommendation from a non profit relationship you will develop.

This is what I think would be the best path call me rather than suffer and limp through the GMAT and hope for the best with round three applications, where even the most unique candidates have terrible odds of getting in to their safety schools.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Hi Farrell,

Thanks a ton for taking some time out and posting a detailed reply! I really appreciate your advice.

I read a few Round 3 success stories and also came across a blog post, which offered some information regarding Round 3 admission chances in certain schools. This gave me some hope. So, I was wondering how I should prepare.

I'll devote my focus on the GMAT. Once that is taken care of, I'll work on my resume and essays. I'll also look up some organizations I can join for volunteer work. I was also thinking of an international volunteering + backpacking trip. Those are the things I would do not only to improve my profile, but also to have some worthwhile experiences. I'll have to do some research about that and see if I can take a sabbatical from work.

I am more interested in applying to US schools. So, I'll keep my target schools in mind while I am working my SOP and my resume. If possible, I'll try to visit a couple of schools.

Thanks again for your help :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Anyone in the same boat? Seeking some advice / opinion [#permalink]