GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

App asking for number of GMAT attempts?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Darden & Kenan Flagler Thread Master
S
Reviews Badge
App asking for number of GMAT attempts?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:32
I've been filling out some online applications and a couple of them ask for the number of times I've taken the GMAT. I only have 2 accepted scores (710 & 750), but have taken the exam 5 times. The remaining scores range from a 650-690 and they are all cancelled. I'm worried that letting them know that I've written the exam 5 times but only have 2 cancelled scores would raise eyebrows a bit and probably make them assume the worst.

If I remember right, schools cannot verify this information, so why do they ask for this? Do I just let them know that I've done it 5 times? Also, is it possible that they'll ask for the scores of my cancelled attempts?
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: App asking for number of GMAT attempts?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 09:45
I would reach out to the schools & ask for clarification about whether they want to know how many scores you have or how many times you've taken the test (even if you ended up cancelling a score). My guess is that they want to know how many scores you have so they can make sure they are seeing all of the scores that you reported. In general, you can assume that schools really will just take your top score & not penalize you for the others. But in this case I'd just ask for clarification so you can make sure you're giving them the info they are requesting, and either way I'd just be honest in your response. You don't want to put your application at risk by being dishonest & it's not at all uncommon for a candidate to cancel a score. So I wouldn't worry too much about it! Save your energy for the rest of your application. :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
App asking for number of GMAT attempts?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 10:53
AvalonQQ wrote:
I've been filling out some online applications and a couple of them ask for the number of times I've taken the GMAT. I only have 2 accepted scores (710 & 750), but have taken the exam 5 times. The remaining scores range from a 650-690 and they are all cancelled. I'm worried that letting them know that I've written the exam 5 times but only have 2 cancelled scores would raise eyebrows a bit and probably make them assume the worst.

If I remember right, schools cannot verify this information, so why do they ask for this? Do I just let them know that I've done it 5 times? Also, is it possible that they'll ask for the scores of my cancelled attempts?

Booth and Kellogg have been asking this question for a few years now.... ever since the GMAC has allowed canceling and hiding canceled attempts. They have been asking for the number of times one has attempted the GMAT (including the visible and the invisible attempts) - they are mostly after the "invisible" canceled scores more than anything else... since they can see the others.

P.S. My conclusion is that some schools did pay attention and did use GMAT attempts to some extent (small or big) in their evaluation of candidates. As to what extent they use this info, I am not really sure but as Jon said, it is very common to take the GMAT multiple times. However, GMAC's promise that schools will never find out if you cancel is true, but in reality, they do find out.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 11:01
Thanks for the response guys. Guessing I've got to let them know that I've taken the exam 5 times then lol. A couple of them I just took cause I had stuff going on in my personal life and didn't want to pay the whole 250$ to cancel/reschedule. Oh well, hopefully this doesn't have any serious implications on my application.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 11:35
bb wrote:
AvalonQQ wrote:

Booth and Kellogg have been asking this question for a few years now.... ever since the GMAC has allowed canceling and hiding canceled attempts. They have been asking for the number of times one has attempted the GMAT (including the visible and the invisible attempts) - they are mostly after the "invisible" canceled scores more than anything else... since they can see the others.

P.S. My conclusion is that some schools did pay attention and did use GMAT attempts to some extent (small or big) in their evaluation of candidates. As to what extent they use this info, I am not really sure but as Jon said, it is very common to take the GMAT multiple times. However, GMAC's promise that schools will never find out if you cancel is true, but in reality, they do find out.

bb-can you please explain what the last line means-looks self contradictory to me. :?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 11:39
bb wrote:

And to add to this: Some schools such as Columbia explicitly ask for Total attempts including the cancelled ones. So, I am assuming they consider the total count for the evaluation.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 07:30
So just an update on this, I did reach out to the school in question and they were really clear that they wanted me to include cancelled attempts when I answer this question. I was thinking of addressing the fact that I've taken the test 5 times in my optional essay. There are genuine reasons for a a couple of them (death in the family etc.) but I also was fairly certain I could do better after each attempt.

5 attempts would raise a few eyebrows in the admissions office right? It seems a little weird that schools are asking for info that is unverifiable, but I'm guessing being completely honest is the best way to go? Am I overthinking this or is it not as big a deal as I think it is. Just feels to me like my score (750) is going to be diminished by the fact that it took me longer than average to get there and someone who got there in his 1st or 2nd attempt is going to be viewed far more favorably.

Sorry if this post comes off the wrong way, its just with the new cancellation policy I never expected this to become an issue.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 17:24
In the current year application Kellogg has mentioned the following note:
Please request that all relevant test acores be sent to Kellogg....

So can I take this as a sigh of relief?

Posted from my mobile device
Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 03:33
Amaranth wrote:
I was thinking of addressing the fact that I've taken the test 5 times in my optional essay.

They could look at it from another view- that you put were persistent. Even if you plan to address this in the optional essay, I'd recommend taking minimal space for this and using the rest of the essay to tell something more impactful about yourself. The GMAT is done and dusted and you have a great score eventually.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

GMAT Club Bot
Re: App asking for number of GMAT attempts? &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jul 2018, 03:33

App asking for number of GMAT attempts?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap