Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 877 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaig [#permalink]
Kudos
Should'nt it be "any other administration".

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaig [#permalink]
Good point Rakesh1987, though don't you think the 'almost' can take care of that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
Re: Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaig [#permalink]
I think almost can't be used to exclude itself; there is no ambiguity in the fact that one cant be better than oneself. Almost is for other administrations.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [2]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaig [#permalink]
Kudos
Tarun Dokania wrote:
Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop, The President opened his annual address on Tuesday by boasting that his administration has accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

A) Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop, The President opened his annual address on Tuesday by boasting that his administration has accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

Correct as written.

B) The President opened his annual address by boasting that his administration has accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940, apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop on Tuesday.

Placement of "ON TUESDAY" is incorrect as it gives the impression that the act of "mistaking X for Y" was done on Tuesday. But the intended meaning is "President addressed on Tuesday". Also, it is better to place the modifier first the then the IC it is modifying.

C) Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop on Tuesday, The President opened his annual address by boasting that his administration has accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

Placement of "ON TUESDAY" is incorrect as it gives the impression that the mistaking X for Y was made on Tuesday. But he intended meaning is "President addressed on Tuesday"

D) Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop, The President opened his annual address on Tuesday by boasting that his administration had accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

Use of "had" is wrong. We can't say the act of accomplishment is over before the president's address. So go with the original statement.

E) Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop on Tuesday, The President opened his annual address by boasting about his administration having accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

Placement of "ON TUESDAY" is incorrect as it gives the impression that the mistaking X for Y was made on Tuesday. But he intended meaning is "President addressed on Tuesday"

Also, use of "having" is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Apparently mistaking the United Nations General Assembly for a campaign stop, The President opened his annual address on Tuesday by boasting that his administration has accomplished more than almost any administration since 1940.

I took the marked sentence as and ADVERB Phrase since in all the options the sentence almost remained same and was placed after a comma.

I dont know how to decide the sequence of tenses, mainly with both present and past perfect tenses.

can someone explain?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
Hi chikki420, look at cue words and context. Eg. here since 1940 is a cue word that present perfect is required.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts