GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jun 2018, 05:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (00:42) correct 53% (00:42) wrong based on 412 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to its membership, the Youth Canorous finally endorsed Gorge for city council.

(A) Appearing to be
(B) Seeming to be
(C) Because he appeared to be
(D) Because he seemed
(E) Being

Originally posted by onedayill on 16 Apr 2010, 13:11.
Last edited by hazelnut on 19 Jun 2018, 05:04, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined and formatted
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2010, 02:13
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to its membership, the Youth Canorous finally endorsed Gorge for city council.
A) Appearing to be
B) Seeming to be
C) Because he appeared to be
D) Because he seemed
E) Being

Some thoughts:
1. Opening modifier (OM):
OM modifies the subject after comma. The Youth Canorous can not become candidate. So, A, B, and E are out.
2. Before NOUN and Participle, we should use to be:
He seemed to be a hawker.
He seemed a hawker. {Not correct}
=> This eliminates D.

Answer: C

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 04:03
Although, i got this one wrong but this was not a very difficult question if one could catch the OM thing pointed out by gmatisnothard.

That was a good point.
I had chosen E --> Being is not always wrong on GMAT, but here it definitely is.

OA has to be from C/D..

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 19:57
noboru wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I'll go with C

why?

at first glance E seems to be the correct answer but if you read the sentence carefully you will find, being is not correct as it is modifying the George and not the Youth Canorous.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 23:35
jn.mohit wrote:
noboru wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I'll go with C

why?

at first glance E seems to be the correct answer but if you read the sentence carefully you will find, being is not correct as it is modifying the George and not the Youth Canorous.

Though I agree with you that E seems to be modifying George and NOT the Youth Caorous, isn't choice C wordy?
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 00:40
Quote:
Though I agree with you that E seems to be modifying George and NOT the Youth Caorous, isn't choice C wordy?

I agree with you.
D seems to mean the same as C, but less wordy. However, OA is C...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 09:08
noboru wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I'll go with C

why?

before a NOUN or a PARTICIPIAL construction, you must use "to be".
he appeared/seemed to be lying. --> correct
*he appeared/seemed lying. --> incorrect
he appeared/seemed to be a liar. --> correct
*he appeared/seemed a liar. --> incorrect

before an ADJECTIVE, you don't have to use "to be" (but you still can).
the report appears/seems credible. --> correct
the report appears/seems to be credible. --> also correct

Hope this Helps.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 21:16
IMO, it is C

A, B, and c make the first clause (...the only candidate...) a modifier which modifies "the Youth Canorous". The moidfier should modifer George, not the Youth Canorous.

D is not a correct idiom..
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:56
A, B and E are out as the modifiers seem to be incorrectly modifying YC.

D is wrong as the correct idiom is 'seem to be'

C it is.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 16:35
+1 C

Once I read that only you can use "being" in GMAT when you can replace it with the phrase "in the process of being". Otherwise, being is wrong.

I think I deserve kudos ;)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2011, 03:57
A, B and E are out bcoz the modifiers, appearing to be, seeming to be and being ..are incorrectly modifying youth Canorous and not George.
C and D .. D has an idiom error.. Seem/(ed) to be is coorect.

Hence C.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2011, 23:18
C it is...
A, B and E- are eliminated because the sentence appears to modify the youth canorous when in reality its not...
D- is incorrect because usage of "seemed the correct..."
:)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2011, 22:28
The main issue is Modifier .
we need verb modifier to modify why George was endorsed ?
A,B ,and E is present participle functioning as Noun modifier (all modifying youth Canorous )
Then we left with C and D
D- seem to/That or an if .....only construction. idiomatic problem
C is winner
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 05:08
hazelnut , generis

Why can't C and D modify "the youth canorous" ?? Still not clear on this
SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 18:34
gmatisnothard wrote:
A) Appearing to be
B) Seeming to be
C) Because he appeared to be
D) Because he seemed
E) Being

Prateek176 wrote:
hazelnut , generis

Why can't C and D modify "the youth canorous" ?? Still not clear on this

Prateek176 - the issue comes down to the pronouns he and its. We have to reason backwards a bit.

That is, from the non-underlined part of the sentence we know that Gorge is the political candidate. Gorge cannot be an it.

We also have the pronoun "its," which needs a referent. That referent cannot be the Gorge the human candidate. The Youth Canorous is the only other possibile referent for "its."

Its as a possessive pronoun implies it as a personal pronoun. The Y.C. is the "it."

C and D contain the personal pronoun "he."

In addition, from context, the Youth Canorous is almost certainly a group.

How do we know that THE Youth Canorous is a group (or organization or the like)?

First, the word "the" indicates the title of a group or organization, not a proper name of a person. In English, proper names of average persons do not contain the word "the" (stage names such as Chance The Rapper or The Notorious B.I.G. don't count as proper names).

There are names such as "the Chairperson," or "the Pope." But we have only two contenders that are referents for the pronouns. One of them, Gorge, is a person running for political office. That person is a he.

The other noun has a name that is not known as a person.

Second, elaborating on the analysis above, the possessive pronoun "its" MUST refer to some noun, and cannot refer to the human political candidate Gorge. "Its" must refer to the Youth Canorous, which is therefore an "it," not a "he" per C and D.

Third, "membership" is a cue that the Youth Canorous is a group. That is, "acceptable to its membership" means "acceptable to the members of _____." People cannot be members of a "he." :)

Sometimes rearranging the sentence helps.

The Youth Canorous finally endorsed GORGE for city council . . . ___ seemed or appeared to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to ITS membership.

In the part of the original sentence that is not underlined, Gorge is the candidate who gets endorsed. A candidate cannot be an "it."

In addition, we have "its" membership. Its implies it and both can go only with the remaining pertinent noun: the Y.C. "Its" turns out to be the strongest reason that the Y.C. cannot be a "he" per C and D.

I wonder whether unfamiliar names confused you? As you can see from the stats, this question is hard. (The referent "Gorge" is far away from the pronoun AND the pronoun precedes the noun. Those two qualities are both okay in SC, but they make sentence correction more difficult.)

Hope that helps.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 18:34

Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap