It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 01:59
Hello All.

I wanted to take your advice on applying for MBA programs as a relatively older candidate. I am looking to apply in R2 this year / R1 next year. My target schools are H/S/W/Berkeley. A bit about myself.

I graduated with an undergrad degree in commerce (India), and followed it up with a Master's degree at the London School of Economics. Post this, I worked in Investment Banking for 2.5 years with a mid-market firm and a bulge bracket bank in London / India.

I was pretty disillusioned with M&A and jumped at the opportunity to join a high profile startup founded by a well known internet professional in India. I was among the early few employees, and did a lot of good work during my 5 years there - helped raise $200M+ in equity capital, headed up a business unit that contributed to 40%+ of topline etc. I thought about doing an MBA a few times, but I was learning so much that I decided to postpone my application.

I quit this company earlier this year and joined a venture capital fund in India. While I think VC is a great industry, I am more inclined towards a career in Technology (Product Manager type roles), followed up my own venture in a few years. Hence, I am looking to go back to school, upgrade my skillset and target Silicon Valley tech firms.

I wanted your advise on the following:

1) Will age be a significant issue for HBS, Stanford, Wharton etc, considering I am not from consulting / financial services

2) I think I'll be more prepared mentally to apply for R1 next year. But that adds another year to my age, and I fear it may negatively impact my chances at the top schools

3) From your experience, does applying in R1 have a significant advantage over R2?

Would love to hear your feedback on my situation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 07:37
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background! With respect to your age, you are on the older side, but the most important thing is to be able to convey why you need the MBA at this point in time (what will the MBA give you that you have not been able to get thus far in your career). I have successfully worked with candidates in their early 30s who have been admitted to the top schools, so it's all about being able to connect the dots in your story and how the MBA fits into that despite your age. Also, in general, Round 1 tends to be better than Round 2 for over-represented demographics because there are just more spots available, but that being said, the most important thing is to apply in the Round in which you will be able to put your best foot forward. The quality of your apps is paramount when it comes to the Round.

I hope this helps - if you would like to discuss further, feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact or info@ivygroupe.com.

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 19:50
My response to your questions:

(1 & 2.) If you apply next year, you’ll add nearly two years to your age by the time you enter the program. Your work experience will be around 10 years, which is significantly higher than 4-5 years at these schools. There is no straightforward answer to your question, as different schools will react differently to your case, but in general older applicants have tougher time. Incremental impact of each additional year is more for an older applicant than a 27-year-old.

(3.) It’s good to apply in R1, but generally speaking there is little difference between the two rounds in terms of acceptance rates. In my opinion, this shouldn’t be the reason for postponing. Of course details matter, but with experience in a startup that scaled and VC, I think you’ve a distinct profile and you may have a realistic attempt at your target schools.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2017, 19:50

Application Advice: 31 Year Old LSE Grad, Strong Startup Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap