It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application insight needed desperately

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application insight needed desperately [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 23:10
Hi all,
I'm an international student and a senior chemistry major in NY. Due to certain circumstances and health, I have decided to change tracks to focus on accounting after graduation. Prior to deciding this, I was heavily involved in building up my resume for nursing/PA school. I have only taken Intro to financial accounting and statistics. I'm hoping to apply for MS in Accounting programs for fall 2018 and will be taking my GMAT late October to early November. I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on where I should apply to and what are my chances of getting in.
Here are my stats so far:

GPA: 3.2 (stats: B+, financial accounting: A) in 2 honor societies
Research student for 1 year
TA for 2 years
EMT and hospice volunteer for 1 year

Due to my short prerequisite classes, I can only to schools with short prerequisites. I have done some research but found only these schools so far:
NYU
UNC Chapel Hill
George Washington University
Boston College
University of Southern California
DePaul University
However, these schools seem pretty reputable and hard to get in. What are my chances of getting in?

I'm hoping to go into public accounting and get my CPA after graduation. I hope someone can give me some insight on where I can apply to and "safety schools".
Thanks for reading this! :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.64
Re: Application insight needed desperately [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 07:27
If you want to stay in the NY tri-state area (?), there are a few good schools in NJ that will allow you to take the prereqs there as part of the program, so you don't need them all done now to apply/get in - Rider University or Seton Hall University. I think maybe Pace University in NY too, but I find their website kind of hard to navigate/unclear. All three have the AACSB accreditation in business and accounting that you'd need to automatically qualify for the CPA in NY.

I think chances of admission would be pretty good at all three of these. As for your chances at some of the "better" schools on your list... it'll be easier to tell once you have a GMAT score, or if you've been practicing and have a reasonable guess about what you've been scoring. Generally if your GMAT score is around the school's median, you have a pretty good shot at getting in. You still have a chance at getting in if you're moderately far below it (someone has to be below average at that school, after all), but then you'd need to have other factors to make up for it, like a really well-crafted, convincing statement of purpose, interesting work experience, etc.

If you think you want to end up somewhere besides NY, then you might want to look into schools local to that area/ask people on here for local advice. It tends to be easier to get a job in the state your MS program is in, partly because the programs tend to gear their course requirements towards the CPA requirements for that state, and partially because they'll have on campus recruiting events local firms will come to.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Application insight needed desperately   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 07:27

Application insight needed desperately

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap