Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Applying last round or delaying? Experts advice welcome! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear schedir,

Very good question. We are continuously asked the same question by our clients whether they should consider applying in Round 3 (R3). We posted a blog to our Fortuna Admissions website late last week on this exact question. Here is what we wrote:

"The answer we invariably give them is 'it depends.' Much like the rest of the MBA application process, there aren’t always definitive rules. You need to consider both the schools you’re applying to and your own profile before you move ahead.

You shouldn’t rush the decision. R3 requires as much thought and engagement, if not more, as Round 1 and 2. Can you put together a compelling application now or should you wait until the next class? Are you applying as a reaction to your current work situation or because you feel that it’s the right next step in your long-term plan?

Here are some additional factors to think about:
• Is your top target school ranked one of the top 7 in the US? If so, you may be best off waiting until next year. As former Admissions Directors at these schools, we know that the competition for this round will be tougher than ever. Schools are generally looking to fill specific profiles at this point and it’s no longer as “general” an applicant pool. That being said, schools ranked slightly lower may still have room and will likely be actively looking for applicants; they will have a more generalized pool.

• Is your profile truly exceptional? There are clearly some profiles that rise to the top; you will bring to the classroom such a unique background, career profile, or achievement that your value to the program is obvious. If you’re one of these special cases, you should go ahead and feel comfortable applying in R3 for the most competitive schools.

• Are you considering a top program outside the US? If yes, then schools such as INSEAD have a greater percentage of places available in R3 than their US counterparts. However, you may find that there are fewer financing or scholarship options available.

• Are you applying to a part-time or Executive MBA program? (Schedir, perhaps this is something for you to think about considering your age?) There’s generally less competition overall for part-time and EMBAs. Your chances of admissions may be slightly lower but not greatly so if applying in a later round. You should contact the admissions offices if you have specific EMBA program questions. There may be additional flexibility that is not stated on the website.

While applying for R3 can work out in your favor, it’s always good to have an alternative plan in place just in case. Will you be staying with your current employer or looking to expand your horizons if you’re not admitted? Just make sure you have a backup plan!"

Hope that helps!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
schedir wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
schedir wrote:
Hi all,
any advice can be really helpful and I would really appreciate.

This is the point.
I am a 30 y.o. applicant and I want to apply also to Booth, Fuqua, Stern, and Yale SOM.
I succeeded to meet the Round 2 deadlines for some top-tier programs, but due to work commitments I couldn't prepare more applications on time. So, I am doubtful whether it is better to apply now or to delay to the next year (should I fail all of my other apps...).

Applying now I would join a tough round, but delaying I would be one year older (31 upon enrolling). Which trade off is better?

This is my general profile:
- 30/Male;
- Nationality: Italian;
- GMAT: 750 (Q:48, V:45, IR: 6; AWA: 4.5);
- TOEFL: 110;
- Work Experience: Naval Officer (Military). 6 years (as of January, 2014), still on active service;
- Education: B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Naval Sciences. GPA: 110/110, cum laude.

Thank you to anyone who will share their opinion with me!

Hey there good sir,
Well, before you even get into the consideration of whether 30 or 31 makes that much of a difference (it doesn't make that much), the question is what will happen if you get in? Meaning will you regret not having applied round 3 to these other schools? What is the best case scenario? What is the worst? Is it better to apply to a few more schools now and have at least the chance of getting in this year, or is there a real chance that you won't get in anywhere and it's better to save it all for next year?

I'd say given your GPA, your TOEFL, GMAT and military leadership... that it is time to pull out ALL the stops this year and GO for it!!! I mean, I will wait until I hear more specifics (i.e. how many schools and which schools you applied to) before I pass final judgement, but from the start it seems like the better idea.

Hey there, thank you for your reply!
I applied to some of the top programs: HBS, Wharton, LBS, and Sloan. All Round 2, hence I am waiting for their interview/reject decisions.
Additionally, I applied to CBS (Regular Decision) and unfortunately I was dinged w/o interview.
Even though 5 programs so far might be a lot, I am aware that those MBAs are among the most selective worldwide and I think that at this level not coming from an Ivy university (still a Top 5 Italian one) could be an handicap.

The only reason for me not to apply now to these additional schools is that I am worried that I could hamper my next year chances, if I were rejected from all (hopefully not, but this is actually the worst case scenario). I have a sense of neither how adcoms TRULY consider reapplicants, nor how much more difficult is to be admitted in the last round. Thus my doubts!

Well, that is a danger to be sure… But if you are looking at a worst-case scenario there is one of two possibilities: a) You don't actually have the profile to get into top 10 and anyhow you would for the next year have to compromise a bit or b) Your essays and application do not make the most of your potential.

If the danger is a) then you should apply round three anyhow. Might as well give it a shot. On the other hand, if your application is not up to par, it might really be better if you waited until next year.

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,
I think your age is fine and will not be too old next year, but if you are still considering applying this year, you can find here a list of late deadlines for Sep14 or Jan15:
https://www.aringo.com/lowseasondeadlines.htm
Best of luck to you!
GMAT Club Bot