GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57
Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 14:32
Guys,

I took my first GMAT today and got a quite disappointing score: 720 (Q49/V40) when for all three GMAT PREP tests I scored 730 (Q50/V39), 760 (Q49/V45), 730 (Q49/ V40).

I know 720 is below the average and median for both HBS and GSB so planning on retaking. I am aiming for 750+ at least.

What do you guys think I should do to improve, especially that my quant and verbal seem to be stuck around 49 and 40, respectively.

How long from now till my next retake? Do you guys think 1 month is long enough or that's not sufficient to increase the score to 750?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 14:50
The rule of thumb is that you want to hit the average so you do t stick out but don’t worry about impressing anyone with your score. GMAT score is not as critical for the top 5 schools. They have plenty of 750+ people applying and it does not really matter all that much. It is a check mark.

You should not have much trouble hitting 730 or 740. There is a standard variance of about 30-40 points on the gmat so chances are you will score within your range next time. I would just focus on your errors and mistakes. Focus on the basics and nuances of the verbal inference assumptions and scope questions.

However you don’t want to sync too much time into the test. That will probably have the least ROI as you have your entire application and you don’t want to skimp on that part.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 15:21
Thanks!

Do you have any advice on how to improve V40 to V45 in 16 days or 3 weeks? As I was able to get to V45 in one of mock tests.

Also, my quant has been plateauing at 49 - not sure how to improve and get to 50, 51.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 21:50
bondtradercu wrote:
Thanks!

Do you have any advice on how to improve V40 to V45 in 16 days or 3 weeks? As I was able to get to V45 in one of mock tests.

Also, my quant has been plateauing at 49 - not sure how to improve and get to 50, 51.
Do you have your ESRs? If they show that there is a major problem somewhere then that's something you could focus on. However, with a Q49 V40, you're unlikely to have any major weaknesses. Finally, if your GMATPrep scores were higher than your score on the actual GMAT, then it is most likely just a matter of time till you get a better score on the actual GMAT.

All the best for the next attempt!

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 22:07
Sorry, did not see your follow up post. Going past V40, esp. V42 and Q49 is tough. These are neuance improvements. I would focus on what you feel you can improve the fastest and with the least effort (quant or Verbal). You can also consider focusing on what you feel will be addressing a weakness (if your quant gpa is low for example, it would be good to get that Q50).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 16:34
AjiteshArun wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:
Thanks!

Do you have your ESRs? If they show that there is a major problem somewhere then that's something you could focus on. However, with a Q49 V40, you're unlikely to have any major weaknesses. Finally, if your GMATPrep scores were higher than your score on the actual GMAT, then it is most likely just a matter of time till you get a better score on the actual GMAT.

All the best for the next attempt!

Thanks - I just got my ESR (please see attached the files). For quant, my percentile in PS is very low, as is mine in CR for verbal. Do you guys think doing GMATclub tests for quant and taking E-Gmat class for Verbal will help me to get Q51 and V 40+?

Thanks so much guys! I am trying to study and be motivated in the next 4 weeks so my 2nd exam is gonna be my last!!!

For quant:
    PS: 62nd
    DS: 83rd
    Arithmetic: 84th
    Algebra: 67th

For verbal:
    CR: 64th
    RC: 95th
    SC: 88th
    Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.27.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.27.03 PM.png [ 118.17 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.24.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.24.47 PM.png [ 81.47 KiB | Viewed 665 times ]

Manager
    Manager
    B

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 16:36
    bb wrote:
    Sorry, did not see your follow up post. Going past V40, esp. V42 and Q49 is tough. These are neuance improvements. I would focus on what you feel you can improve the fastest and with the least effort (quant or Verbal). You can also consider focusing on what you feel will be addressing a weakness (if your quant gpa is low for example, it would be good to get that Q50).

Thank you! I was quite burned out so taking 3 days off then will resume my studying. How long do you think is good enough for me to improve and get the score I want for the 2nd exam? Initially I thought about taking it immediately after 16 days, but then think might be hard to improve that fast so I will be taking it in 4 weeks instead.

Would love any input!
    SVP
    SVP
    V

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 18:58
    bondtradercu wrote:
    Thanks - I just got my ESR (please see attached the files). For quant, my percentile in PS is very low, as is mine in CR for verbal. Do you guys think doing GMATclub tests for quant and taking E-Gmat class for Verbal will help me to get Q51 and V 40+?

Thanks so much guys! I am trying to study and be motivated in the next 4 weeks so my 2nd exam is gonna be my last!!!

For quant:

For verbal:
      1. I don't see anything "wrong" in the quant section of your ESR. However, you should check how accurately/quickly you work through questions. A low PS/high DS combination usually means that you left some easy points on the table.

2. Did you start running out of time towards the end of the verbal section? I think most of your mistakes in CR happened there, so it's not immediately clear whether you need to "fix" CR. Post the timing charts if you can.

I believe that most test takers need at least two attempts to get the score that they are capable of, so that is also in your favor. Also, consider locking down your timing strategy before the next attempt.

Manager
      Manager
      B
      Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 19:40
      AjiteshArun wrote:
      bondtradercu wrote:

For quant:

For verbal:
        1. I don't see anything "wrong" in the quant section of your ESR. However, you should check how accurately/quickly you work through questions. A low PS/high DS combination usually means that you left some easy points on the table.

2. Did you start running out of time towards the end of the verbal section? I think most of your mistakes in CR happened there, so it's not immediately clear whether you need to "fix" CR. Post the timing charts if you can.

I believe that most test takers need at least two attempts to get the score that they are capable of, so that is also in your favor. Also, consider locking down your timing strategy before the next attempt.

Thanks

For the timing, I use the scratch pad method - dividing into each page in 4 boxes and just label the numbers of minutes left. However, sometimes on a problem I know I could get to an answer, but for some reasons, the calculation took longer, or if I am freaking out, I would still try to get that right because I know it was just arithmetic.

From the ESR, for Verbal: looks like I probably got total of 6-7 wrong: 1 wrong in 2nd section, 2 in 3rd and maybe 3-4 in last section? 100% correct in RC, 1 in SC and 5-6 wrong in CR

For Quant: looks like I got 7 wrong: 2 in 1st section, 1 in 2nd and 3rd and 3 in the last section. Also, what is the difference in arithmetic and Algebra? Is that just not calculation>
        Attachments

File comment: Quant - Breakdown
        Capture3.PNG
        Capture3.PNG [ 96.37 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]

File comment: Verbal - Timing
        Capture2.PNG
        Capture2.PNG [ 50.23 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

File comment: Quant - Timing
        Capture.PNG
        Capture.PNG [ 74.91 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

SVP
        SVP
        V

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:45
        bondtradercu wrote:
        Thanks

For the timing, I use the scratch pad method - dividing into each page in 4 boxes and just label the numbers of minutes left. However, sometimes on a problem I know I could get to an answer, but for some reasons, the calculation took longer, or if I am freaking out, I would still try to get that right because I know it was just arithmetic.

From the ESR, for Verbal: looks like I probably got total of 6-7 wrong: 1 wrong in 2nd section, 2 in 3rd and maybe 3-4 in last section? 100% correct in RC, 1 in SC and 5-6 wrong in CR

For Quant: looks like I got 7 wrong: 2 in 1st section, 1 in 2nd and 3rd and 3 in the last section. Also, what is the difference in arithmetic and Algebra? Is that just not calculation>
        It's as I thought: you ran out of time in the verbal section (1:22 for the last set). This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that if your accuracy fell because of time and not because you found the questions too tough, you are already capable of getting an even better verbal score than the one you got. The bad news is that fixing timing issues is not always easy. I strongly suggest that you take a look at this timing strategy (or any good alternative). The reason I'm pressing this point is that either your current strategy is not working for you, or you did not implement it properly. You'll have to decide on one that works for you and execute it well on the day of the exam.

Manager
        Manager
        B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 14:33
        AjiteshArun wrote:
        bondtradercu wrote:
        Thanks

It's as I thought: you ran out of time in the verbal section (1:22 for the last set). This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that if your accuracy fell because of time and not because you found the questions too tough, you are already capable of getting an even better verbal score than the one you got. The bad news is that fixing timing issues is not always easy. I strongly suggest that you take a look at this timing strategy (or any good alternative). The reason I'm pressing this point is that either your current strategy is not working for you, or you did not implement it properly. You'll have to decide on one that works for you and execute it well on the day of the exam.

Thank you!!!

What I noticed was, when I took my first two GMAT Prep (got 730 and 760), I was not rushing through the sections. However, when I took the GMAT PRep CAT 3 (with new timing format), I feel like I was rushing through both sections. Same with the Official GMAT too - I kept checking the time because I know I was rushing and behind.

I have been using the MPREP scratchpad strategy (dividing paper into 4 sections and write the time at the bottom right), so I check my timing after every 4 questions (every time I turn to the new scratch page) - do you think this is a good strategy? I felt like checking after 10 questions might be too late - I might be too far behind to catch up.

Also, do you recommend keeping the timing there or hide it to calm the nerves?
        GMAT Club Bot
        Re: Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake? &nbs [#permalink] 19 May 2018, 14:33

Applying to HBS and GSB: GMAT 720 - should I retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap