It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 15:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Appositives vs Which.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.4
CAT Tests
Appositives vs Which. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 00:01
Hey all,
I have a doubt in the usage of which and appositives.
I was wondering whether appositives are preferred to which (or other relative pronouns).

I am unable to find an official question, so I am making my own example.

ST1: Nuclear fusion, one of the most effective ways of separating carbon and oxygen atoms, is being used with deadly intent by some countries.
ST2: Nuclear fusion, which is one of the most effective ways of separating carbon and oxygen atoms, is being used with deadly intent by some countries.

Is there any preference to ST1 to ST2, or is it the case that both of them are correct and we will not be forced to choose between one of these?

Thank you, hope you understand my doubt.

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (SC 27, RC 22, CR 41).
Manhattan 1: 650 ( Q45, V34).
Manhattan 2: 680 ( Q46, V36).
GMAT PREP2: 740 ( Q50, V40). (SC 40, RC 42, CR 37).
Manhattan 3: 710 ( Q48, V39).

GMAT PREP3: 750 ( Q51, V40). (SC 38, RC 51, CR 36).
Manhattan 4: 700 ( Q47, V38).
GMAT PREP4: 760 (Q50, V42). (SC 41, RC 51, CR 42).

GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017).

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 12

GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Re: Appositives vs Which. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
DIII wrote:
Hey all,
I have a doubt in the usage of which and appositives.
I was wondering whether appositives are preferred to which (or other relative pronouns).

I am unable to find an official question, so I am making my own example.

ST1: Nuclear fusion, one of the most effective ways of separating carbon and oxygen atoms, is being used with deadly intent by some countries.
ST2: Nuclear fusion, which is one of the most effective ways of separating carbon and oxygen atoms, is being used with deadly intent by some countries.

Is there any preference to ST1 to ST2, or is it the case that both of them are correct and we will not be forced to choose between one of these?

Thank you, hope you understand my doubt.

Hi DIIII,

The GMAT always prefers appositives over "which" constructions. Also, appositives with the same noun repeated are even better!
In your example, it is definitely redundant to add "which" because the appositive clearly refers to nuclear fission.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 12

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Appositives vs Which. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 17:41
craveyourave wrote:
Hi DIIII,

The GMAT always prefers appositives over "which" constructions. Also, appositives with the same noun repeated are even better!
In your example, it is definitely redundant to add "which" because the appositive clearly refers to nuclear fission.

Do you have a source for this, preferably a problem from the Official Guide? I can't recall ever seeing a problem that made you choose between an appositive and a 'which'/'that' modifier, unless there were other problems elsewhere in the sentence.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

Re: Appositives vs Which.   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 17:41

Appositives vs Which.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap