GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 12:10

5 Tips for Preparing to Apply Round 1 - Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom

Thursday, April 11, 2019 12pm ET (9am PDT / 5pm British time / 9:30pm IST)

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

Join Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php

While each applicant comes to the MBA application process with their own experiences and aspirations, they often share many of the same questions along the way. Join Senior Associate Director of Admissions, Pat Harrison, and Associate Director of Admissions, Kristin Roth, as they answer your questions and offers tips and advice for preparing your best application.

Name and brief introduction of speaker(s): (1) Pat Harrison, Senior Associate Director of Admissions, (2) Kristin Roth, Associate Director of Admissions
  • Pat Harrison is a Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She oversees Tuck’s reading and evaluation process and also leads Tuck’s women’s recruitment efforts. She has been with Tuck since 2003. Prior to coming to Tuck, Pat was a practicing attorney in Charlotte, North Carolina. She is a graduate of Bowdoin College and the University of North Carolina School of Law.
  • Kristin is an Associate Director of Admissions at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth and has been with Tuck since 2007. She serves on the admissions committee, reads applications, interviews candidates, leads recruitment of military veterans, and travels globally for Tuck. Prior to Tuck, Kristin worked in career services at Dartmouth College, the University of Virginia, and Georgetown University, as well as in human resources for General Electric. She received her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University and master’s degrees from Georgetown and the University of Virginia.

Signup to get email reminder of this webinar.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Tuck School Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 19:59

Transcript of the Chat session

All those who couldn't join the chat session, the transcript of the session is in the attached pdf file.
Attachments

Tuck Apr11 Transcript.pdf [137.59 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 19:08
Welcome Everybody! It’s great to have you all in this live chat with Tuck’s Admission team. To-day’s topic of the chat is "5 Tips for Preparing to Apply in Round 1". We have with us
Pat Harrison, Senior Associate Director of Admissions, and Kristin Roth, Associate Director of Admissions. Patand Kristin, on behalf of everyone I welcome you to the chat session.

kristinroth
Thank you GMAT Club! Hi everyone! Welcome to Tuck (virtually)! I’m Kristin and I’ve been at Tuck since 2007. I help lead the interviewing program and military recruiting for Tuck. Happy to answer your questions.

patharrison
Hello everyone! Thank you for joining us today. My name is Pat Harrison. I am Senior Associate Director of Admissions at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. I have been with Tuck Admis-sions for about 15 years now. In my role I oversee our evaluation process and women’s recruiting. We are excited to take your questions.

kristinroth
We’re talking about tips for your application. Here’s our first one to get you started: Dig Deep Introspection is key during the MBA application process. By the time you hit submit, you should know—and be able to articulate—exactly why you want an MBA.

Pat and Kristin I request if you can start with tips for preparing to apply in R1?

patharrison
Kristin is right. Taking time to reflect about your goals, why you want an MBA, how you learn, your strengths and weaknesses, what you have learned about your experiences, etc. you will be better prepared when it comes time to write your essays and you will have an easier time narrowing down your list of schools.

kristinroth
Tip 2: Explore Schools
Start researching schools now, and keep it doing it! Dig through websites (there’s a ton of information there, so go beyond what you see on the homepage), talk to current students and alumni, and visit as many programs as you can.

patharrison
Schools will also be hosting events (likely near your area) and this is a great way to learn more about their programs. An MBA is a big investment, so do your homework and make sure you find the school that is the best fit for your goals, learning style and personality.

kristinroth
Tip 3: GMAT/GRE
Get this out of the way sooner rather than later. Don’t rush it, but give yourself time to focus on essays and interviews without the stress.

patharrison
We don’t have a preference whether you take the GMAT or the GRE. I suggest you do a few practice tests to see which test you feel best represents your abilities and then take that one.

patharrison
Also, there is no shame in taking the exam more than once. If you don’t score as well as you think you should the first time, we encourage you to give it another try. And while there is no magic number that you have to score, and schools admit a wide range of scores, look at schools’ average scores and the range of scores in the class to see if you are within their zone.

kristinroth
Tip 4: Finances
Don’t assume you’ll get a scholarship. If you do, that’s awesome! If you don’t, you’ll feel prepared and be a lot less stressed. Pay down other debt, look for funding options elsewhere, and save.

kristinroth
Tip 5: Timing
A frequent question from applicants at this stage in the process: Does it really matter if I apply in a later round? Well, yes—but it matters more that your application is the strongest it can possibly be.

patharrison
We hope that helps get you started thinking about the application process. We would love to hear what is on your minds. Happy to take your questions!

mitrakaushi
Is it advisable for someone who has applied in round 2 last year to apply again in the first round?Especially after being rejected from the interview stage? I don’t think there can be a significant improvement in my candidature

kristinroth
mitrakaushi - I would advise doing a thorough self-evaluation to see where you can identify improvements. If you are interested in reapplying, strengthening your application as much as possibleand applying as early as you can submit that strong application can help. The applicant pool is different round-to-round and year-to-year.

kristinroth
For example, if you believe you can raise your GMAT/GRE, that might be an improvement you can make over the summer. If it’s that you believe you need more accomplishments at work, that may take more time.

2118kool
I understand that the process is holistic, but is there any quantifiable difference between a GMAT score of 740 and a 760 (other than the fact that there is a 20 point difference...)? Is it more of a"check-mark" after a certain score, or would the higher score help my candidacy more, especially if I am in an overrepresented group?

mykrasovski
kristinroth, what is the best email address to contact Tuck admissions? I have few questions that I would like to ask offline. Thank you!

kristinroth
mykrasovski, you can email Tuck Admissions usingtuck.admissions@tuck.dartmouth.edu. Your questions will be addressed by one of our team as soon as possible.

patharrison
The GMAT is one data point among many, and it is a very holistic process. It certainly isn’t a check mark after a certain score. The higher the score, the more competitive it is when compared against a very qualified applicant pool. But remember, we are interested in your other qualities too, so don’t focus solely on the GMAT.

When reviewing an application for an MBA in consulting, what are the key things that the adcom looks for in a candidate?

mykrasovski
Tuck’s website says that the Spring campus visits will conclude on April 30th, it also says there will be a Summer Visit Day (date TBD). Will there be a series of days or only one day in Summer? Thank you.

UmairAftab
Why do universities just want post grad work experience? Does the work experience during studies not count? Even if it’s relevent?

patharrison
mykrasovski, we have not set our calendar for summer visits. I would expect there will be only one, maybe two summer visit days.

kristinroth
Moderator wrote:
When reviewing an application for an MBA in consulting, what are the key things that the adcom looks for in a candidate? Every applicant needs to show the same qualities, but how they show them will differ. When thinking about your work experience, think about your impact, your progression, what you’ve accomplished and who you worked with to accomplish it. Share with us how your experience, whether in consulting, energy, health care, finance or something else, will enrich the class and community at Tuck.

patharrison
UmairAftab, if you have relevant internships or full-time work while you were in school, you may include it and we will certainly consider it. Typically, post-grad work is more recent and more robust than work applicants did while in university.

amysong
Thank you, Pat and Kristin, for sharing tips. Question on GMAT/GRE: does having a low score on the record have any impact on candidacy/chances for admission? For example, if you have one can-didate with 650-740 record vs. another candidate with 740, all else being equally competitive, does one have higher chance?

nightblade354
kristinroth, I have a quick question. Let’s say, hypothetically, someone was a long time admin/moderator of website that happen to cater to the GMAT needs of others. We can call this hypothetical place..........GMAT Space. Would that help an applicant profile and how would admissions view this?

Given the current Administration’s stance towards immigrations policies ,did you see any noticeable changes in the applicant pool, etc?

patharrison
amysong, seeing your past scores will not negatively impact our evaluation. In fact, it can help by showing us your determination and effort put in to improve your scores. We are focused on your highest score and that is what we count, but seeing all of your scores lets us see improvement.

kristinroth
nightblade354, hypothetically speaking, it would depend on how the applicant told that story. It all comes back to the Tuck criteria of Smart, Nice, Accomplished and Aware. Does this experience exemplify any of these qualities?

nightblade354
kristinroth, If I were the one in question? I think the forum would have mixed reviews on that, haha. But point taken

kristinroth
Moderator, while most schools have not released data for this year, Poets & Quants has an article on the international applicant pool at US schools overall. We continue to admit strong applicants from all over the world and continue to strive for a class with diverse perspectives, experiences andbackgrounds. https://poetsandquants.com/2019/03/27/l ... admissions

Narenn
Kristin/Pat: Any major changes in the curriculum/introduction of new courses planned for upcoming years?

patharrison
Tuck just completed a major review of the first year core curriculum and has approved several changes including expanding orientation for a richer MBA start, changes to the academic calendar in the fall to make fall A and B closer to the same length, new sequence of courses, restructured winter term to support recruiting, increased optionality for elective courses in the first year. Tuck still retains a very robust first year core curriculum, which is a hallmark of the Tuck experience.

What is the maximum number of years of experience that you would consider for admission?

kristinroth
Moderator, there is no maximum. The important question that every applicant needs to answer is why do they need an MBA and why is now the right time for them to pursue it?

kVpreetam01
Hello Pat and Kristin! Good Afternoon! I am on the R2 waiting list. I am currently reflecting on my application, and I will definitely reach out with major updates in the coming days/weeks. As I amfrom India, when do you think shall I stop thinking about an admit in the current academic year, and rather start focusing on Round 1 applications. Although I am hopeful of an admission this year it-self, I wouldn’t like to start late for the next round, given that Tuck is my top school.

Narenn
Kristin/Pat:How has this application season been so far? Do you have interesting things/experi-ences to share with us? Any notable changes in the application pool?

question from other user: Kindly elaborate focus in pharma / Healthcare industry, beyond Health-care clubs, would like to know placement and industry linkages.

patharrison
kVpreetam01, we are sorry you didn’t get the response you’d hoped for, but we are thrilled that you remain enthusiastic about Tuck and have elected to stay on the waitlist. At this point, we cannot predict what will happen on the waitlist or when you might hear a decision. At some point, probably end of June/early July, we will have to release international applicants on the waitlist because there will not likely be enough time to obtain a visa. Thinking about what types of things might strengthen your candidacy on the waitlist is valuable if you decide to reapply since those are probably the same things you will want to work on in a new application.

kristinroth
Narenn, as always, the season has been busy! Applicants always have interesting stories to tell, and we’ve appreciated hearing how applicants fit our mission of educating wise leaders to better the world of business. One thing we see over time is increased interest in various career fields and industries. Health care, energy, entrepreneurship and social impact continue to be of interest to applicants, and they find ample resources to explore those fields at Tuck through our centers. https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/faculty/research-centers

kristinroth
Moderator, I would encourage any interested in health care and pharma to check out the Center for Health Care’s website: http://healthcare.tuck.dartmouth.edu/. Health care opportunities at Tuck include electives, being a health care fellow, joint degrees (MD/MBA and MPH/MBA), Health Care 101 sessions, visiting executives and speakers, and alumni relationships.

kristinroth
Thank you all for participating! If you want to learn more about Tuck, look for events in your region, more online events, and other opportunities to connect with Tuck at our website: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions.

patharrison
Thank you everyone! It has been a pleasure chatting with you. To learn more about Tuck, I encourage you to visit our website at http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu. There is a lot of great information there with details about the program, student and alumni stories, the 360blog, etc.

Thanks everyone for participating in this chat today. Thank you very much Pat and Kristin for spending time with us and answering applicants’ questions.
Re: April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 19:08

April 11, Thursday: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom

new topic post reply Update application status