GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 15:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 21:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:59) correct 79% (01:26) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Competition Mode Question

Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think if you can feel pain, you do have some rights, particularly the right not to have pain inflicted on you.

Brandon: Animals like lions would kill me if they were hungry for food. That inflicts pain on me, all right!

Which of the following is the best criticism of Brandons response?

A. He assumes that because some animals kill humans, humans have a right to kill those animals.
B. He does not give specific examples to support his position.
C. He attacks Arthur rather than addressing the issue.
D. He takes an absolute position without allowing for exceptions.
E. He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights.

P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 23:12
The right answer is option D in my view. His response that lions would kill him if they were hungry is indeed an absolute position that should have been considered as an exception. It is uncommon for animals such as lions to attack humans, especially for a lion to leave its habitat to attack a human being in his or her residence. Most animals do not hurt humans, hence his response did not consider an attack on humans as an exception, instead, he takes an absolute position based on that premise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 23:55
Arthur talks about animal rights and supports it by giving his reasons. Brandon talks about the pain infliction without any
reference to rights part off conversation.

A. He assumes that because some animals kill humans, humans have a right to kill those animals. – WRONG. Irrelevant to the discussion between the two. Also, if humans have killing rights than it may support Brandon though n claim is made by him in the argument.
B. He does not give specific examples to support his position. – WRONG. Again the example Brandon refers to is not what argument is about.
C. He attacks Arthur rather than addressing the issue. – WRONG. Brandon neither attacks nor addresses the issue at hand.
D. He takes an absolute position without allowing for exceptions. – WRONG. Similar to option C no position is taken by Brandon in the argument.
E. He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights. – CORRECT. Brandon diverts from the core of the argument and talks something else that is not regarding the animal rights.

Answer (E).

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 03:02
Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think if you can feel pain, you do have some rights, particularly the right not to have pain inflicted on you.

Brandon: Animals like lions would kill me if they were hungry for food. That inflicts pain on me, all right!

A. He assumes that because some animals kill humans, humans have a right to kill those animals. - This response can not criticize the logic of brandon. So, incorrect.
B. He does not give specific examples to support his position.- Irrelevant
C. He attacks Arthur rather than addressing the issue. - Irrelevant
D. He takes an absolute position without allowing for exceptions. - Correct
E. He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights. - Irrelevant
G
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Sep 2019, 21:27

A. He assumes that because some animals kill humans, humans have a right to kill those animals.....incorrect
B. He does not give specific examples to support his position. ....... incorrect
C.He attacks Arthur rather than addressing the issue..... he didnt attack
D.He takes an absolute position without allowing for exceptions............PERFECT....
E.He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights........incorrect...he didnt do that

OA: D

Originally posted by madgmat2019 on 30 Sep 2019, 03:09.
Last edited by madgmat2019 on 30 Sep 2019, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 05:53
Quote:

A. He assumes that because some animals kill humans, humans have a right to kill those animals.
E. He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights.

ARGUMENT
[A] If animals have feelings, then they can feel pain, thus they have the right not to have pain inflicted on them.
[B] Some animals can inflict pain on humans.

CRITICISM [B]: he doesn't address the issue that animals have rights because they have feelings,
but rather he talks about something else.

A. this is not discussed by [A], out.
B. irrelevant to the argument;
C. false;
D. false;

Answer (E)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 15:04
IC of argument I think if you can feel pain, you do have some rights, particularly the right not to have pain inflicted on you.
and
Animals like lions would kill me if they were hungry for food. That inflicts pain on me, all right!

of the given options IMO E weakens Brandon's conclusion ;He brings in a different issue rather than addressing the question of whether or not animals have rights.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 08:25
I don't understand Why E is not the answer for this. IMO Brandon's statement is not at all relevant to the Arthur's statement.
Arthur point is that animals should have rights because they have feelings, whereas Brandon statement has no relevance to rights and feelings of the animals.

Infact E mentions this point clearly.

Can anywhere share the official explanation for this? I need to understand how this line of reasoning is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 10:40
visat wrote:
I don't understand Why E is not the answer for this. IMO Brandon's statement is not at all relevant to the Arthur's statement.
Arthur point is that animals should have rights because they have feelings, whereas Brandon statement has no relevance to rights and feelings of the animals.

Infact E mentions this point clearly.

Can anywhere share the official explanation for this? I need to understand how this line of reasoning is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device

OE is given above but there itself it is mentioned that D is incorrect so we better leave the question right now.

Though I personally feel that without bringing outside knowledge we can't make D correct.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 15:51
Hey - can anyone explain to me what do we exactly mean by "Absolute position"? Is it more on the lines of being hard lined in your stance?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2019, 15:51

Arthur: Do animals have rights? Well, they have feelings, and I think

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics