Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Send PM
Re: As public concern over drug abuse has increased, authorities have been [#permalink]
Sure eiancel , waiting for you.
Also have a look at my latest contributions in my signature, I wish they help you in your study :blushing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: As public concern over drug abuse has increased, authorities have been [#permalink]
Mahmoudfawzy83

This time I used a reference template you provided without time constraints to help me get a better idea of the points I should hit in my essay and the types of words that my writing should include. As time goes on and I get more comfortable writing, I'll start using time constraints and referencing the template less.
Let me know how good it is

Statement

The following appeared as park of an article in a magazine devoted to regional life:

"Corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities or a new location. Even in the recent recession, Helios's unemployment rate was lower than the regional average. It is the industrial center of the region, and historically it has provided more than its share of the region's manufacturing jobs. In addition, Helios is attempting to expand its economic base by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative technologies."

My Response:

The argument claims that corporations should look consider the city of Helios when seeking a new location and career opportunities because Helios has been able to sustain their economy during the recession period. Stated in that way the argument the argument reveals examples of leap of faith, poor reasoning, and ill-defined terminology. The conclusion of the argument also relies on assumptions for which there is no evidence. Hence the argument is unconvincing and flawed.

First, the argument readily assumes that just because Helios’s unemployment rate was lower than the national average, Helios has an economy that maintains its stability. Yes, this is a commendable achievement, but this statement is still a stretch and not easy to support. For example the employment rate for the city could have fallen because corporations could have closed down less productive businesses in times of the recession. Local business-owners also could have went out of business as well. The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated how Helios was able to have an unemployment rate lower than the regional average by providing examples.

Second, the argument claims that Helios has been histroically known to provide “its share” of manufacturing jobs. This again is a very weak claim as the argument uses vague and basic language with no real evidence supporting just how much manufacturing jobs Helios has provided. For instance, let’s say there the amount of manufacturing jobs in Helios’s region is at 15%. Helios provides 7% and another town or city provided the other 7% percent. Surely, it as provided a share, but not by a substantial amount, as both areas provide the same amount of manufacturing jobs. If the argument would have provided evidence that Helios employs many Warehouse Associates then the argument would be much more convincing.

Finally, the argument concludes with how Helios is expanding by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative technology. And yet again, there is no sound evidence showing why companies that focus on innovation should set up shop in Helios. There are countless other more successful cities that these companies can call their home. Like, Sillicon Valley and San Fransisco. Without the support of strong evidence, one is left with the impression that this claim is farfetched wishful thinking.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the reasons mentioned above and is unconvincing. It could be stronger if the author mentioned all of the relevant facts. Without this information, the argument remains open for debate.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Send PM
eiancel wrote:
First, the argument readily assumes that just because Helios’s unemployment rate was lower than the national average,(1) Helios has an economy that maintains its stability. Yes, this is a commendable achievement, but this statement is still a stretch and not easy to support. (2) For example the employment rate for the city could have fallen because corporations could have closed down less productive businesses in times of the recession. Local business-owners also could have went out of business as well.(4) The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated how Helios was able to have an unemployment rate lower than the regional average by providing examples.

(1) the author didn't say that Helio maintained its stability. In fact, that author only mentioned the fact that the unemployment was low during recession and didn't clarify the reason. Maybe, workforce migrated Helio because of its poor situation, making the unemployment apparently low.
(2) you assumption contradicts the premise. the premise said that the unemployment lowered, while you assume that businesses are closed without resolving the dilemma of what the employees will do after they lose their jobs. (a logic explanation could be that when the big businesses shrank, the employees made their own small business so unemployment stayed low)
(3) another possible attack is to propose another scenario. For example: low unemployment may be bad for incoming businesses because if the unemployment is already too low, these businesses will suffer to find skilled employees to run the businesses.
(4) this part was good

eiancel wrote:
Second, the argument claims that Helios has been historically known to provide “its share” of manufacturing jobs. This again is a very weak claim as the argument uses vague and basic language with no real evidence supporting just how much manufacturing jobs Helios has provided. For instance, let’s say there the amount of manufacturing jobs in Helios’s region is at 15%. Helios provides 7% and another town or city provided the other 7% percent. Surely, it as provided a share, but not by a substantial amount, as both areas provide the same amount of manufacturing jobs. If the argument would have provided evidence that Helios employs many Warehouse Associates then the argument would be much more convincing.

This part is great.
another idea to attach here is to say that Helio was great "historically", but what about now????. Maybe the situation changed. so you can attack the author because he used outdated information.

eiancel wrote:
Finally, the argument concludes with how Helios is expanding by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative technology. And yet again, there is no sound evidence showing why companies that focus on innovation should set up shop in Helios. There are countless other more successful cities that these companies can call their home. (1)Like, Sillicon Valley and San Fransisco. Without the support of strong evidence, one is left with the impression that this claim is farfetched wishful thinking.

This part is also very good.
(1) you can't use information that is too detailed. you can say that, in general, there are many other cities attracting innovation, and that the author failed to mention why Helio is special.
(2) another idea is that the author, at the beginning of the passage, was inviting all corporations, indefinitely, but at the end he mentioned R&D that is an interest for special type of corporations. The author's flaw is that not all companies would benefit from R&D incentives.

Much Better work this time eiancel. I think you are on the right track.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts