It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask a Tuck Interviewer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1867

Kudos [?]: 615 [2], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 12:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
A co-worker of mine has put me in touch with a guy she attended UG at Dartmouth with that just graduated from Tuck last year and was an Admissions Associate his 2nd year. He said most every interviewer is a 2nd year student and basically if you live in the US, an on-campus interview is expected, with a few extenuating circumstances allowed.

My question is this. I'm going to send him back an email in a day or so, but I wanted to know if there were any questions people would like me to ask him? This is a pretty darn good opportunity to get in the mind of 1) and admitted student / graduate of Tuck and 2) an interviewer that made recommendations to the adcom about the individuals he interviewed so he probably got feedback from adcoms as to exactly what stood out about each individual.

So post your questions here and I'll pick 4 or 5 of the most asked questions and include them in my email back to him. I don't want to overload him with questions. So if you read a question that you want answered also, copy it into your post and "vote" for it.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [2], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1867

Kudos [?]: 615 [1], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 13:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
I thought i would have had at least 1 question by now.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [1], given: 32

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 13:14
Ask him how he reports back to the adcom. Does he fill out a form that ranks people in different areas?
What areas were the most important?
What areas are less important?

What annoys him most during an interview?
What personal characteristics does he feel is the best match for Tuck?

When he asks "Walk me through your resume" what is looking for? Should the person focus on giving a broad background or focus on accomplishments?

RF
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 14:06
refurb wrote:
Ask him how he reports back to the adcom. Does he fill out a form that ranks people in different areas?
What areas were the most important?
What areas are less important?

What annoys him most during an interview?
What personal characteristics does he feel is the best match for Tuck?

When he asks "Walk me through your resume" what is looking for? Should the person focus on giving a broad background or focus on accomplishments?

RF


These are VERY good questions. I'm going to try and think of some others...

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 129

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 14:38
I would really like to know:

1) If there truly is going to be a crusade on age this year (HBS and Stanford have already declared war), how is Tuck going to deal with it? How will this new trend influence their admission policies?

2) As this year appears to be more competitive than previous years, will Tuck show more love to applicants from booming sectors and hate to applicants from falling sectors?

3) How would a school like Tuck recognize the sincerity of applicants when they drop the "Tuck is my #1 Choice" line? What differentiates between two stellar applicants with regards to how one demonstrates genuine interest in their school as opposed to the other?

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 17:36
I should add a big thanks jallenmorris for doing this! He could have kept this resource to himself, but he's decided to share with the gmatclub community.

Thanks!!

RF
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 17:41
refurb wrote:
I should add a big thanks jallenmorris for doing this! He could have kept this resource to himself, but he's decided to share with the gmatclub community.

Thanks!!

RF


I second that. Kudos

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Location: India
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 18:24
Jallenmorris,

Gr8 oppurtunity and huge magnanimity on your part to share it.
If possible could you ask, what advice/guidelines are given by adcom to the students while conducting interview. There has to be some criterion, Communication, confidence, goal clarity etc. What is the relative weightage of these criterion? How much weightage does the interview carry in the overall application?
_________________

Every saint has a past, every sinner a future, I Just hope.....

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1867

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 18:26
What I'll do is take questions over the weekend and get the email ready to send to him and send it on Monday morning.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2008, 23:45
sarzan wrote:
I would really like to know:

1) If there truly is going to be a crusade on age this year (HBS and Stanford have already declared war), how is Tuck going to deal with it? How will this new trend influence their admission policies?



I asked this question to Tuck adcom member during my feedback ( since I am old but have fewer number of years in workex). He said "We do not look at the age while making decision."

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1867

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2008, 05:02
I don't know that this person will have an answer to the question regarding age as he is not doing it anymore and he was an interviewer last year. I don't see Tuck as the type of place that wants people that are 23 and no work experience, or even 25 and just a few years. What I've learned about the "fit" of Tuck, I don't see it as a place many young people (25 and younger) are going to like if for not other reason that geographic remoteness.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2008, 06:58
jallenmorris wrote:
I don't know that this person will have an answer to the question regarding age as he is not doing it anymore and he was an interviewer last year. I don't see Tuck as the type of place that wants people that are 23 and no work experience, or even 25 and just a few years. What I've learned about the "fit" of Tuck, I don't see it as a place many young people (25 and younger) are going to like if for not other reason that geographic remoteness.


They have no issues with accepting 25 year olds with 3 years of experience (I fall into this bucket and I have cleared it with them already). However, the problem is, as you mentioned that not many 25 year olds want to live in Hanover at that stage in their lives.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 101

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2008, 08:34
Thanks jallenmorris, mighty nice of you to share this with us. I vote for refurb's questions as well. Especially the personal characteristics fit with Tuck.

refurb wrote:
Ask him how he reports back to the adcom. Does he fill out a form that ranks people in different areas?
What areas were the most important?
What areas are less important?

What annoys him most during an interview?
What personal characteristics does he feel is the best match for Tuck?

When he asks "Walk me through your resume" what is looking for? Should the person focus on giving a broad background or focus on accomplishments?

RF

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Location: India
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2008, 04:43
jallenmorris wrote:
A co-worker of mine has put me in touch with a guy she attended UG at Dartmouth with that just graduated from Tuck last year and was an Admissions Associate his 2nd year. He said most every interviewer is a 2nd year student and basically if you live in the US, an on-campus interview is expected, with a few extenuating circumstances allowed.

My question is this. I'm going to send him back an email in a day or so, but I wanted to know if there were any questions people would like me to ask him? This is a pretty darn good opportunity to get in the mind of 1) and admitted student / graduate of Tuck and 2) an interviewer that made recommendations to the adcom about the individuals he interviewed so he probably got feedback from adcoms as to exactly what stood out about each individual.

So post your questions here and I'll pick 4 or 5 of the most asked questions and include them in my email back to him. I don't want to overload him with questions. So if you read a question that you want answered also, copy it into your post and "vote" for it.


Dear JAllenmorris,
Did you manage to get the questions?
_________________

Every saint has a past, every sinner a future, I Just hope.....

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1867

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2008, 08:28
I've been away from GMATClub for awhile. I need to get the email to the interviewer so he has time to respond. I'll keep you all informed.

devil420 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
A co-worker of mine has put me in touch with a guy she attended UG at Dartmouth with that just graduated from Tuck last year and was an Admissions Associate his 2nd year. He said most every interviewer is a 2nd year student and basically if you live in the US, an on-campus interview is expected, with a few extenuating circumstances allowed.

My question is this. I'm going to send him back an email in a day or so, but I wanted to know if there were any questions people would like me to ask him? This is a pretty darn good opportunity to get in the mind of 1) and admitted student / graduate of Tuck and 2) an interviewer that made recommendations to the adcom about the individuals he interviewed so he probably got feedback from adcoms as to exactly what stood out about each individual.

So post your questions here and I'll pick 4 or 5 of the most asked questions and include them in my email back to him. I don't want to overload him with questions. So if you read a question that you want answered also, copy it into your post and "vote" for it.


Dear JAllenmorris,
Did you manage to get the questions?

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1112

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2008, 08:47
Interesting post. Just to clarifiy a few points:

1) age is not a major factor, clearly there won't be 200 people 40+ years old or 200 people 23- years old so it will depend on the pool as always. I would say 25-32 is the general norm. I believe there are not too many students under 25 at Tuck but a lot of them is also 25-26 :) Internationals are older in general.

2) I dsagree with the comment made about the fact that nobody under 25 wants to live in Hanover. I think that we are talking about a MBA degree not some field trip. Location should not come up as a number 1 choice, not enven in your top 5 I believe. It's only 2 years but the impact is measured far beyond. I do recognize though Hanover is not NY though and I can understand why ultimately someone would choose another top 10 school but not if someone join a second tier school just for the weather/city entertainment/activities :P

3) 99.9% is about the fit at Tuck. Get to know the people. Ask basic questions. Show interest. Know some prof and some interesting classes but do not spend too much time on the latest publications, rankings of professors or stuff like these. Tuck is more focused on knowing if you will fit in rather than Tuck fit in your life.

4) Finally Tuck is like any school, some things are good and some aren't, just choose the school you think will be the best for you. I've just graduated from Tuck but I had the choice and I know why I made this choice, it should be the same for you. Make up your own mind.
_________________

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask a Tuck Interviewer   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2008, 08:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask a Tuck Interviewer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.