GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Northeastern '20
Reviews Badge
Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 00:17
Hello guys,

well, I don't know how I am going to do it, so I am here for some advice. I am French and I hold a bachelor degree in International Business. However, I decided to make a career change recently (I am 22). I am currently learning Computer Science and I already asked the Director of my undergrad program to write a professional recommendation letter around 1 year ago for me for an investment banking internship abroad.

My decision to make a career change came quite late (February 2018) and closing dates for MS in CS applications are often in December. However, I am still in the proccess to apply to 1 school in the US and another in the UK. Both required 3 letters of recommendation. I am not sure I am going to get in.

If not, I am also planning to apply to around 10 school in the US and in the Canada for September 2019 intake. However, I will still have to wait 1 more year...

So should I contact the director of my undergrad for a recommendation this year? If I am rejected, it's going to be a shame to ask her to another letter. I don't know how to handle the situation...

thanks
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 08:25
Hi thegame12,

Thank you for the post, and for sharing your story. I would need to know your profile and background (scores, academics, experience, et al.) to give a more detailed response. When is the deadline for the U.S. and U.K. schools? First round applications for intake 2019 are typically due in the fall of 2018. Is that your target date?

Who are your other recommenders? I wouldn't feel ashamed of asking the Director. If your relationship is strong enough that you can ask for a recommendation, then you can definitely be candid and explain your feelings towards this round.

You might benefit from a free consultation where we can discuss your background and experience, and see how we can help strategically approach your admissions application. Feel free to reach out to coordinate (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 12:38
Is it a bad idea to reuse letters of recommendation from a previous application cycle? I am applying md/phd and have 5 letters already. I dont have any good reasons to get new ones from the same people since I think their letters were already pretty solid. I also dont have any new recommenders who I think could write more strongly in my favor.
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 18:29
Hi zimou13,

Thank you for the post. Typically universities require that recommenders submit letters of recommendation directly to the institution (and they take the handling of recommendations very seriously, including checking IP addresses). I recommend you ask the recommenders to re-submit the letters they had previously written. Ideally, however, the recommenders should talk further about how you have grown since your last application cycle.

Happy to talk further. Feel free to reach out to coordinate a free consultation if interested (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

zimou13 wrote:
Is it a bad idea to reuse letters of recommendation from a previous application cycle? I am applying md/phd and have 5 letters already. I dont have any good reasons to get new ones from the same people since I think their letters were already pretty solid. I also don't have any new recommenders who I think could write more strongly in my favor.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods? &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 18:29

Ask multiple recommendation letters from the same person at #periods?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap