GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Asking Advice for Choosing the Right B-School, Full-Time MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Asking Advice for Choosing the Right B-School, Full-Time MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 17:14
Hello mbaMission,

I would like to ask for some advice to choose B-School (Full-time MBA Program, Strategy / Digital) based on my profile below:

- Indonesian Nationality
- Age of 26 as of 2018
- Booked test on 10 September 2018. Worst case scenario is 620. Below that, will apply next year in order to refine GMAT score.
- Working Experience: I work in Risk Transformation and Internal Audit Advisory at Big 4 for 2.5 years. As a consultant, I help clients in transforming its business, from devising a manual for Risk Based Internal Audit, transforming Enterprise Risk Management, and helping for change management in work culture. I also familiar with business process in Car Spare-part manufacturing, Accounting, and IT (especially in application development phase). One of my client is Main Economic Regulator in Indonesia, so I worked closely with some government officers.
- Some volunteer activities: 1) Inspiring Elementary School Children to chase their dream, 2) Sports Event in Asia wide scale. Responsible as VVIP Personal Assistant for Participant Country.
- Academics: Undergraduate from The Only AACSB Accredited University in Indonesia majoring Accounting with GPA of 3.59 (Thesis: Evaluation of Make-or-Buy Decision on Semi-Finished Product in 2014 to Face Current Challenges and Achieve the Company's Strategic Goal (A Case study of Steel Company))
Some Organization and Event experiences: 1) Community Service in developing tourism of rural area, 2) Head Organizer of Study Visit to Chulalongkorn, University, Thailand, 3) Organizer of International Accounting Student Conference. Will detail those in CV if seen as necessary.
- Basic French Fluency (DELF A2)

The ultimate goal of my MBA is career change: geography, targeting:
a) Canada (Most realistic and desirable)
b) USA (Dream, but less realistic)
c) UK (Although I have researched that it is nearly impossible, but still need more advice)
d) France (Little information, need more advice)
e) Germany (Little information, need more advice)

Not only that, I would also like to pursue career in Management Consulting, especially in MBB, or at least Big 4. I have heard that they require GMAT for at least 700, so will try to aim for it. But this aim will more likely to be changed, especially if I have the chance to apply as high as Stanford GSB (since they require "big" values). Tech Consulting is something that I would consider too since right now I am studying data analytics.

I have shortlisted my school:
1. Ivey Business School (Met the recruitment manager, just need to aim high score for GMAT)
2. Oxford Said (Met the recruitment manager, he said that I have a chance)
3. Stanford GSB (The dream, but I've realized that it is nearly impossible, so need more advice)
4. NYU Stern (Second dream, more realistic than Stanford GSB, but just slightly higher than nearly impossible, need more advice)
5. Alliance Manchester Business School (Met the recruitment manager, positive discussion)
6. INSEAD (Still need more research for qualifications, especially in international exposure)

I will need some advice:
1. Whether there are gaps for my shortlisted school. How can I fulfill it?
2. Any other school suggestion to meet my goal, which is change career: geography and career in management consulting. Or other Country suggestion to support career in management consulting or tech consulting

Thank you for your kind attention. Looking forward for your review. :)

Kind regards,
Cakra
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Asking Advice for Choosing the Right B-School, Full-Time MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:27
Hi Cakra, thank you for your post. I would be happy to review your profile and mention areas which you could improve to build an even stronger application. Admissions committees will look at your profile holistically, analyzing your stats, work experience and extracurriculars.

Stats – scoring near a 700 would put you close to the averages of some of the schools you listed (Oxford, Stern, INSEAD), while a mid-600 score is closer to the averages of Ivey and Manchester. I suggest taking the GMAT 2-3 times to hopefully achieve your target score. While the GMAT is only one part of the application, your score will help you decide your school selection. Your GPA of 3.59 in accounting is solid so that is certainly a positive in your profile.

Work experience – it looks like you will have had a few years of good work experience at a Big 4 company so that is good to see. One challenge will be convincing admissions committees why your 3 years of work experience compares to the average admitted student’s work experience which is generally 5 years. They will want to know why it makes sense for you to get your MBA now as opposed to gaining 1-2 more years in the workplace. You will have to demonstrate your accomplishments and the impact you made there, through taking initiative and demonstrating you have progressed. A promotion is good, although any increase in responsibility and leadership looks favorable, as is coaching/training/mentoring others.

Extracurriculars – you have good experience here and hopefully you have held leadership roles in some of these activities. If you can show that you have taken initiative to make a difference, AdCom will feel that you will also contribute positively to the school’s community.

In general, your school choices will be based on what you ultimately score on your GMAT as well as your accomplishments at work and the leadership you take on in your extracurricular activities. I like the idea of you applying to 2 reach schools, 2 target schools, and 2 safer schools. Feel free to sign up for a 30-minute consultation with me or one of my colleagues so we can go into greater detail about your profile and review your resume, in order to discuss your goals and the schools you listed.
http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Michael Guttman
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
Asking Advice for Choosing the Right B-School, Full-Time MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 06:09
Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I really appreciate your positive review at my profile. Your comment on work experience really wakes me up and I will try to emphasize my story on why do I need MBA now as opposed to 1-2 year(s) later.
Once again, thank you for your kind review. Maybe I will consult with you after I have received my GMAT Score.

Kind regards,
Cakra

Asking Advice for Choosing the Right B-School, Full-Time MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap