Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Asking advice for putting my strategy together [#permalink]
Kudos
See answer below:

rollingface wrote:
Specific questions:

-Do you guys set daily time goals or more chapter/specific chunks of material?

Your score is only as good as your weakest section. Work on your weakest sections first and keep an error log. If you set a schedule, try to stick to it as many people who are unable to stick to a schedule report frustration and may abandon the test all together.

-It looks like a lot of the sample schedules around here involve taking tests on the weekends. Is it recommended to take 1 test every weekend starting week 1 going all the way through or does it make more sense to start doing the tests after some review of the basics, etc?

Take practice tests when you need to evaluate your progress and assess your study plan. A study plan needs to be fluid (it may not change, but if you identify other weaknesses/are not improving, you need to figure out why and "fix it"). For some folks, it's weekly, for others every two weeks. Another reminder: Don't burn out.

-Is there anything I should be doing everyday? I've seen a lot of suggestions to do SC everyday since its more of an exposure thing. Should I do those even during my quant review?

Part of SC practice is to read a lot. SC is potentially changing to meaning instead of the "right answer" (before, one could not even read the sentence and go right to the answers and find the correct one. Now, the test is moving to multiple "right" answers, but one with the most appropriate meaning). Doing problems alone/Studying blindly isn't enough for many people, make sure you understand the content/know how to approach the problems.

As it stands I plan to spend ~2 months on quant (my weakness) and ~1.5 months on verbal, then another month or so on testing strategies & review.

This could be enough. You seem to have a solid starting point. Take a practice test to see where you really stand and then go from there.

Thanks for the help, I welcome all advice, comments and suggestions! I'll post my completed strategy when I've finalized the deets.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abhi - Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try to take a scoring test early next week so I can get a baseline

upasanadatta - Looking forward to progressing together!

mohater - Wow lots of grade-A advice thank you! I think I'll shoot for taking a test every 2-3 weeks to track my progress and help me identify which areas I need to keep focusing on. Really good point about remaining fluid and not getting burnt out. I'm definitely the kind of person who has that tendency to follow a plan without stopping to reevaluate.

I also downloaded some SC problems from the forums here to get started on. I'm thinking I'll do 5-10 a day in addition to my quant review.

I've included my draft schedule for studying. As of right now aiming to take before my 24th birthday at the end of Feb, but I'll definitely heed the above advice and constantly adapt my strategy as I go based on the needs I uncover with periodic CAT tests.
Attachment:
File comment: Draft study schedule
GMAT Schedule.xlsx [23.7 KiB]
Downloaded 64 times

Thanks everyone for the advice & let me know any other suggestions or comments on the calendar!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So it's been several, several months since I originally posted this thread and I thought I'd provide an update to perhaps serve as motivation or at least empathy to my peers studying for the GMAT.

After establishing my schedule I stuck with it fairly close right up until Thanksgiving (total of about 2 months). At that point I was putting in ~1.5 hrs/day with a few extra hour days so I had amassed over 150 hours of study time.

Then I went on vacation for 10 days, came back for another 10 days and immediately took another 2 weeks for Christmas. Before I knew it, it was the new year and it felt like it had been ages since I had a quality study session. In mid-January I was almost exactly 1/2 way through the MGMAT guides and took my first CAD test, the GMAT prep and scored a 680. I felt pleased by that score and knew it would very feesible for me to clear 700 after I had finished the guides. I used that as motivation to continue studying through Jan-Feb.

With the threat of the new GMAT format looming in my future and my frustration from dragging my feet so long on this project, I decided to schedule my exam for as late as I comfortably could while still having the possibility of a retake in the old format 30 days later. My test will be 4/26, 43 days from today.

I hope to stay more involved with the community here as I continue my journey, sharing my triumphs and pitfalls along the way.
GMAT Club Bot