Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 03:55 It is currently 07 May 2024, 03:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some schools that come to mind:

NYU- elite cluster, strength in finance and film

UCLA elite cluster, strength in finance, entrepreneurship, and film

USC transelite

I would consider adding an ultra elite

Regarding the unfortunate accounting class in college- this need not be the end of the world. The best way to address this would be to take an accounting class now and do extremely well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond but I was swamped with work.

Here are my thoughts. Please provide feedback.
I am thinking about phasing out my application process. This year I have narrowed it down to Stanford, Kellogg, LBS, Columbia, and NYU. Although this list is not yet the "final", I'm feeling pretty good about it. I understand that these are all "stretch" schools for me, except, maybe, NYU. So, I'm prepared to wait a year to reapply.

Next year, I will have more time to put into the application process, so I will apply to around 10 schools. It will include some of the near elites, as well as some more elites.

I have a couple of more specific questions as well. Is it appropriate to discuss more than one goal in an MBA app? For example, I have an interest in social entrepreneurship, films, and venture capital. Would I come off as indecisive if I were to mention all of these as my goals in an application? It makes sense in my head to write about how I am interested in the business-side of film-making and how I would eventually like to be a venture capitalist after acquiring so many years of experience. This may not make as much sense to the adcom though. What are your thoughts?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
1) Your portfolio sounds reasonable in light of your multi-stage plan.

2) At first glance, your essay sounds somewhat difficult to pull off. Then again, I have seen applicants write essays that describe more than one goal successfully. If you are committed to this set of goals, write a few drafts and see how they develop.

Considering your goals, I am a little surprised to see no LA schools in your portfolio.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Recommendation [#permalink]
Hjort,

I'm trying to avoid having too many little threads, so asking all my questions under this threat. Please let me know if you prefer that I post a different thread for each new topic.

First, in response to your comment, I am considering applying to UCLA in the final round.

I provided my recommender with Recommendation Guidelines from all of my schools recently, so I have a couple of questions on that front.

1. Columbia, NYU, and Kellogg have a specific format for the recommender in that they ask a series of questions or provide a topic outline. For these schools, is it advisable to write long responses (to include everything the recommender wants to say) to these questions or would it be better to write short, concise responses to their questions and write additional content on a separate document? I'd like to know the best practice.

2. I downloaded the PDF version of the app for all schools except Stanford. I could not find this on the Stanford web site. Do they not provide it? If so, how can I get to it?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here are the answer to my own questions, incase someone needs to use it as reference...

1. Columbia, NYU, and Kellogg have a specific format for the recommender in that they ask a series of questions or provide a topic outline. For these schools, is it advisable to write long responses (to include everything the recommender wants to say) to these questions or would it be better to write short, concise responses to their questions and write additional content on a separate document? I'd like to know the best practice.

I called the admissions staff and they advised that my recommender respond to the questions without worrying too much about the length of their responses. They said to ignore the questions that were not applicable and said to provide additional input on an extra page if the questions did not probe the full potential of a candidate.

2. I downloaded the PDF version of the app for all schools except Stanford. I could not find this on the Stanford web site. Do they not provide it? If so, how can I get to it?

I just went ahead and started a web application, so my question was answered.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I apparently missed your last post but I am glad that you were able to find answers to both questions. It makes perfect sense to contact the schools directly for this type of question. After all, the schools are the best source of information on their own practices and requirements.

Best,

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]